Mikemeg's Workbench - Building locos of the North Eastern & LNER

20 hours ago, rowanj said:

Nice to see you posting again, Mike. Keep 'em coming. please.

Thanks John. I'm now fully recovered and just trying to work through all of the outstanding jobs. I am very conscious of trying not to repeat the posting of earlier photos, though I've been posting, on this thread, for quite a few years so some of the photos are now way back in the thread.

To all those who take the time to read the thread and to express your 'likes' or the comment buttons. many thanks. It is much appreciated and does make it all worthwhile.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another photo, hitherto not posted. This is part of the shunting and trip working fleet and shows an N10 - 69104 - and a J71. Both are test builds of kits now in Arthur Kimber's range of North Eastern Kits.

The photo was taken to show the difference between satin black - representing a loco almost ex-works - and weathered black - representing a loco weather worn with faded and stained paintwork - which is clearly apparent on this photo. In fact the J71 could do with more toning down on the motion and on the numbers and markings!

Looking back over my life, which I only occasionally do, I feel very fortunate to have been able to see the real things for many of the classes which I have modelled, albeit almost always towards the end of their lives.

Cheers

Mike

P2040020.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 15

17 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Lovely builds as ever, are we going to see your Q7 finished soon?

The test build of the Q7, which is what it is, has been awaiting the provision of castings and etchings to represent the internal motion, given that between the mainframes there is the middle cylinder and its motion set, plus three sets of Stephenson valve gear. Arthur is still working on these components, which is why progress on this build has been temporarily stopped.

Externally, everything needed is ready to fit though I think there may be some castings for the tender which still need to be finalised.

I am looking at what would be needed to be scratch built to complete this build but that obviously doesn't help the progress of the kit itself.

Still, many thanks for the enquiry and I'll try and keep you posted!!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, mikemeg said:

I have found that one way to convey this is to get the camera 'down low'. Down to the height it would be if a five or six foot person were standing and looking at the real thing.

The great majority of loco photos - especially older ones taken on shed - are taken from just a bit lower, with the running plate of a typical 0-6-0 at the camera's "eye level" - the camera being on a tripod about 4'0" - 4'6" tall.

I try for this level when photographing my 4 mm scale wagons. It disguises the fact that I haven't modelled the interior or got round to modelling a load!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The great majority of loco photos - especially older ones taken on shed - are taken from just a bit lower, with the running plate of a typical 0-6-0 at the camera's "eye level" - the camera being on a tripod about 4'0" - 4'6" tall.

I try for this level when photographing my 4 mm scale wagons. It disguises the fact that I haven't modelled the interior or got round to modelling a load!

Hi Stephen,

I've seen your comments for many a year but only now found that you're Stephen, as well as being Compound2632. Agreed on your comment!  I think my photo of the D20, above, is probably at the 4' 0" level, though by accident rather than design.

Many thanks for your interest.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

Someone PM'd me and and asked 'how clean do brass models keep in the airtight box'. Well, in answer to that question, all I can say is that they stay pretty clean. Assuming, of course, that they are put away into the airtight box in a clean condition!

But a picture says a thousand ........ So here's a photo of the test build for the D20, which has now escaped from the airtight box, after about four years imprisonment, and has also acquired a tender of its very own. Photographed just as it came out of the airtight box; no additional cleaning done - yet!

This model has the original profile mainframes, as built, and will become 62372 based at Selby in mid 1950 and a frequent visitor into Hull.

Both this model and the one shown in a posting above, have some representation of the inside motion, including the oil pots on the slide bars. Enough to fill the void 'between the frames'! This photo was taken before the rear motor shafts were cropped off on each chassis, thus allowing the motors (Mashima 1420's) to sit forward of the fitted backhead, without impeding the backhead positioning.

The gearbox and motor combination sit entirely within the firebox and splashers, so no further slotting is necessary in the bottom of the boiler, to accommodate any part of the gearbox. The gearbox front is therefore invisible on the underside of the models.

Also worth noting the narrowing of the mainframe separation, at the front end. This is because there are no bogie wheel cut-outs in the mainframes on these models, as there were none on the prototypes.

John (Rowan) can be blamed for this plethora of postings now appearing on this thread. Just joking, John; I am  happy to oblige!

Cheers

Mike

P3200031.JPG

P2100002.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I guess anyone who reads this thread regularly will know that I am fascinated by the black and white photographs which chronicled our railways until the widespread advent of affordable colour photography. Somehow, there is an atmosphere to these photos which colour photography can't always match, even though modern colour film and the more recent advent of digital photography can produce far better quality images.

Anyway, after all of that, here's another of those wonderfully atmospheric pictures, as ever courtesy of Mick Nicholson and taken in 1952. 

So, the stygian and smoky gloom of the interior of Dairycoates locomotive shed is puctuated by the sunlight streaming in through the filthy glass in the roof, catching N8 69393 as it receives attention on one of the turntable roads on one of the six turntables, all within the same building.

Now isn't that more than sufficient inducement for me to build a model of an N8!!

Cheers

Mike

N8 69393  Dairycoates, 24 August  1952.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

Whereas the above photo shows a superheated N8 - the longer smokebox and snifting valve just behind the chimney - here's a photo of a saturated boiler N8.

Once again, courtesy Mick Nicholson,  N8 9383 'poses' by the coaling plant at Hull's Dairycoates shed in 1947. There are literally hundreds (perhaps even thousands) of photos taken in this place over the years.

Oh to have seen this place - Dairycoates locomotive shed -  in the late 1940's/early 50's, on a sunny Sunday afternoon!!

Cheers

Mike

N8 9383 17 April 1947. Dairycoates.__ .jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 43129@stainmore said:

69429 [...] still had Westinghouse brake and Ramsbottom safety valves until withdrawn. 

Yeadon says VB fitted in 1930. 

Surely if any loco kept the W/H pump into the 1950s it was not for train brakes but for the loco's own brakes? There would, I think, be no W/H train connections on the b.beam after the Unification of Brakes in March 1928. Some locos (D20s for example) kept the upstand at the back, but no hose. Certainly, there's no photo of an N9 with a W/H hose connection on the front b.beam later than 1930 in Yeadon.  

EDIT: nicely built (and weathered) model! 

Edited by Daddyman

16 hours ago, 43129@stainmore said:

I've built two LRM N9's (same kit as N8) for South Pelaw. Quite a straightforward kit, however by BR days that class is a minefield with different boilers, braking systems, safety valves, buffers etc. hardly surprising given the age of the locos by then (no doubt the N8s were similar). As the kit is very much geared to pre-grouping then a fair amount of substitute parts are necessary. Here is a picture of 69429 (my first build of the two) shoving some empty hoppers up the incline to South Pelaw colliery, she still had Westinghouse brake and Ramsbottom safety valves until withdrawn. 

Rich

P3010361.JPG

Just as quoted above, regarding the N9's, by BR days the N8's were also a similar minefield of differences. The photo below shows an N8 vacuum fitted and lined out in the British Railways mixed traffic livery.

This photo, again courtesy Mick Nicholson, shows 69381 carrying a saturated boiler, with the shorter smokebox and the absence of a snifting valve. Also worth noting the North Eastern globe lubricators still carried on the smokebox.

This loco was allocated to Hull Dairycoates shed (53A) during the early fifties, however this photo may well have been taken in Hull Botanic Gardens shed (53B), as the loco is equipped and liveried for local passenger and/or station pilot duties at Hull paragon Station. The shape of the smoke hoods, over the stalls, also points to Hull Botanic Gardens.

Cheers

Mike

69381.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 9

I built the other N9 No 69424 whilst on holiday in Spain in early 2019, I don't have a photo to hand of it when completed, but here it is part completed out in the warm February sunshine. 69424 had the smaller side tanks and bunker, steam brake only and was the loco usually outbased at Pelton Level. The smaller tanks etc are catered for in the kit, there is a half etch line on the inside to reprofile to.

My 'modification' notes for 69429 (my first N9 build) were, in no particular order:

vacuum pipe below RHS valance

steam heat hoses

vacuum ejector pipe

steam supply pipe to Westinghouse pump from spectacle plate to pump

steam exhaust pipe from pump to smokebox

globe lubricator on RHS of smokebox (should have been both sides I think!)

worksplates

shedplate

fire iron and brackets

coal rails plated behind

whistle on roof

rear cab window guards

reservoir between frames under bunker

rain strips

new smokebox door (Dave Alexander)

washout plugs

If I recall correctly you shorten the kit footplate and frames at the front end for a N8.

Rich

IMG_0303.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

If and when I build an N8, then it will almost certainly be using the LRM kit, so the above posting is/will be very useful. I guess if the footplate and frames are shortened, to suit an N8, then the valances must similarly be shortened.

I also made many of the same modifications, as you made to this build, on a batch of G5's (three in all) which I built in early 2019, again from LRM kits.  And yes, the globe lubricators were fitted to both sides of the smokebox.  In addition, I also added and/or changed a number of small etchings and castings using parts from Arthur Kimber's North Eastern Kits range.

The photo, above, of the part completed second N9 model certainly looks the part, as does the earlier photo of 69429. Is the rivetted smokebox wrapper contained in the kit or did you rivet a plain smokebox wrapper, given that when built, the N8's and N9's would have had flush rivetted smokebox wrappers? I believe that the LNER boiler replacements had the visible rivets on the smokeboxes, so by BR days almost all N8's and N9's would have had the visible rivets on their smokeboxes.

Many thanks and cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

I very rarely venture into the Layout Topics section, on here, but a couple of posts, above, reference a layout called South Pelaw Junction and Stella Gill. Anyway, I did search out the thread for this layout and it is quite simply superb.

I'm sure that many, many superlatives have been used to describe this layout so I won't attempt to compete, but for me it just speaks so eloquently of its time, its place and the very essence of the old North Eastern, albeit in British Railways days.

I was fortunate enough to have seen this place, for real, in 1962 and the layout 'shows and tells it just like it was'!

And it was - and the layout is - wonderful!

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 4

This is a timely series of threads, as I too am building the LRM kit as N9 69424. I posted the odd note on my thread, though, as has been said, the build is pretty standard for an etched kit.

The footplate is , obviously, etched for the longer N9, with a half-etch to show where to cut it for an N8, The valances are in 4 parts (2 each side) and need to be cut and joined depending on which class is built. 

I confirm that the tanks also have a half-etch to show where the tanks and bunker sides are reduced for the shorter versions.

The overlay for the smokebox does have the rivets etched, and they are neatly done. 

I built the kit earlier as an N8, in BR guise, and I'm sure I found that all were lined once they received the early crest.

If a completed photo of Rich's loco turns up, I'd certainly be keen to see it.

John

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 2

John,

Many thanks for the posting on the N8/9 kit. I've a few things to finish before I can begin any new projects but the N8's (yes, I'll build two; one saturated, one superheated and each in slightly different liveries) will be built sometime this year.

Once again, many thanks.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg