Mikemeg's Workbench - Building locos of the North Eastern & LNER

Tis a quandary Paul. I suppose it could be dependant on the works that built or repaired and the period a particular J72 was built.

I think 69023 is welded (or flush riveted?) but of the others?

p

• RMweb Premium

Porcy

More likely to be countersunk which was the normal procedure for visible areas with rivets.

Reply to  Horsetan - Yes all castings are available separately - Brass and white metal. I don't have a proper list but if there is anything that you want just ask!

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

HIGH LEVEL MODELS J72 CHASSIS KIT

With the exception of the brakes, brake linkage and the ash pan, the chassis is now complete.This one runs freely without any binding, first time, which is unusual for my chassis; they normally require some opening out of the coupling rod journals.

Now to add the brakes and brake linkage.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-75394500-1439818535_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 8

The compensated brake pull rod has now been assembled, the brakes fitted to their hangars and the brake pull rod fitted to the brakes So this is what the whole chassis looks like when viewed from underneath and shows how the compensated brake pull rod is organised.

Now to fit the pickups and then test run the chassis under power.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-15128900-1439971487_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 3

I hope its the picture the rear axle looks cockeyed. Otherwise very nice!.

Mick,

I hope it's the picture, too!!

When this chassis was assembled, then both coupling rods were mounted on the same settings of the chassis jig, so I know they are identically spaced. The same jig and settings were then used for chassis assembly, so I'm pretty certain that it is the photo which deceives, rather than the axle being cockeyed. The photo was taken with the chassis simply resting on the background and wasn't necessarily taken absolutely perpendicular to that plane, so parallax comes into play, especially with the camera set on macro mode. But thanks for the observation; caused me to check.

So now both of these J72's are ready for the final detailing phases - cab internals, footplate steps, sand pipes, rear lamp irons, etc.

Oh and someone suggested that on at least one of these (and the J71 and at least one of the J77's) I should fit models of late LNER/early BR bicycles, tied to the smokebox front by some 4mm rope or chains!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-40544500-1439977599_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 3

.....When this chassis was assembled, then both coupling rods were mounted on the same settings of the chassis jig, so I know they are identically spaced. The same jig and settings were then used for chassis assembly, so I'm pretty certain that it is the photo which deceives, rather than the axle being cockeyed. .....

I think you said earlier that the chassis freewheels in its unpowered state. If it can do that, then it's spot-on, and the camera is lying.

• Like 1

I think you said earlier that the chassis freewheels in its unpowered state. If it can do that, then it's spot-on, and the camera is lying.

Horsetan,

Thanks for that and I did say that the chassis freewheels in its unpowered (final drive gear not fixed) state; it does without any binding. 

I must have built twenty or so chassis' in the last three years and, so far, none of them have failed to run properly - eventually - though one or two did take some persuading!!!! The chassis jig does make an enormous difference to the accuracy of chassis assembly, provided that the jig set up exactly matches the coupling rod journal spacing and that the jig pins remain absolutely tight and perpendicular during the assembly.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

• RMweb Gold

Oh and someone suggested that on at least one of these (and the J71 and at least one of the J77's) I should fit models of late LNER/early BR bicycles, tied to the smokebox front by some 4mm rope or chains!!

This one here - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Bishop_Auckland_geograph-2380637-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Just looks to be hung on the dart.

• Like 1

I suspect it could be that Mr. Galoon.

You've probably seen these.

post-508-0-36352900-1439984610.jpg

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2380637

post-508-0-65129700-1439984976.jpg

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2380502

Strange that somewhere amongst my photographs I have a pic of a push bike being passed up into the cab of an English Eclectic Type 3 in 1973.

P

Edit: Seems like Mr. G beat me to the draw...

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Aha, so photographic evidence that the attachment of bicycles was subject to variations!!!!

Thanks to Mr Gallon and to Porcy Mane for the photos. And, post 1949, at least 68740 still sported its North Eastern buffers and a 'trumpet' over the safety valves.

Once again guys, many thanks and keep the photos coming.

Oh and an English Eclectic Type 3; was that something put together from various miscellaneous diesel bits - dees'l fit somewhere. I'll get me coat!!!!

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Oh and an English Eclectic Type 3; was that something put together from various miscellaneous diesel bits - dees'l fit somewhere. I'll get me coat!!!!

Spulling pishtakes fully intentional.  :smile_mini:

• RMweb Premium

The NER buffers on the J77 68391 have what appear to be coach bolts between the fixing bolts (these have nuts). This practice seems to have been common practice in the later days and not just on the smaller 0-6-0Ts.

Anyone like to comment?

ArthurK

post-6751-0-55826700-1440011957.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

COMPLETION OF THE TEST BUILD OF ARTHUR'S A6 KIT

While the final detailing of these two J72's is being done, this slid through Hessle Haven on the down fast. The spotters on the bridge are 'mightily disgruntled' as, though they can see it's an A6 and it is clearly not 69796 (which is on the up slow), they can't see which one it is. Next job (which should gruntle the spotters on the bridge) is to apply the markings. This A6 - 69795 - post August 1948, carried only the early BR unlined black with 'British Railways', in full, up to its withdrawal in July 1950, so it just scrapes into my June 1950 model setting. And it doesn't need to be lined out!!

This was the first test build of Arthur's A6 kit, done about three years ago. So, Arthur, here's your A6 kit painted, though still needing its markings and some weathering. This one remained in its saturated state (shorter smokebox than the superheated boilers) throughout its life, also retaining its North Eastern smokebox door and various other original fittings - blower valve rod, chimney with capuchon (windjabber), oval buffer heads - and, perhaps, exemplifies the lineage of these big North Eastern tanks better than any of them.

The ten A6's were almost all different by the time of the renumbering in 1946 and, if I could, I'd probably build all ten; not that I have any particular fondness for these very handsome and well proportioned tank locomotives :no:  Well, perhaps ..........

Anyway, 69791 is also now almost complete with 69798 about to be started.  And Hull did receive 69793 when 69798 was withdrawn, though I think Arthur may now have sold all of the current stock of this kit!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-18019600-1441465244_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 7

SOME BIG NORTH EASTERN TANKS

Not the most inspiring of liveries, but this is what 69795 sported in mid 1950.

Anyway, a spotter's view over the railway fence to see some of the old North Eastern's big tanks on a grey morning in June of 1950. Oh to have seen such a sight for real!!!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-67154500-1441530550_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A few posts back, there was mention of tank top rivet detail. Here is part of a J73 detail drawing.

attachicon.gifTANK TOP J73.jpg

Mick

That drawing raises more questions than it answers. First it is different from the GA that I used to produce my kit. 

1. The tank filler is even further back than on my GA. Why was the position different from the norm? Usually the latch was hinged from the  tank front.

2. The boiler/tank stay bracket is cut away to clear the filler. On mine it appears to be the same location but is a full rectangle with six rivets.

3. The six inch patch behind the filler is in the same relative position to the filler. All the tank loco drawings that I have show this in the same position. I assume that this was an access panel to reach the bolts securing the filler top.

4. The angle attaching the side to the top is under the top and therefore the angle itself would not be visible. The drawing shows a sample of the rivets and pitch but no indication of whether or not these were countersunk.

ArthutK

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER A6

A quick check through one of my mate's Yeadon's Register, for these locomotives, identified a couple of errors - the rear buffers were the normal round headed variety and the legend 'British Railways' was the larger lettering, so these are now fixed. I also need to add the train heating pipes, front and rear and this is complete.

Almost seems a shame to have to weather it down to its delapidated condition as in mid 1950!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-43272200-1441611061_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 13

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER A6

And the third of the run of A6's has now progressed to the priming stage - saves having to keep burnishing the brass - though there is still some to do on the chassis. Actually, this run of A6's has been spread over a number of years; the first one I scratch built about six years ago but didn't build the chassis until about three years ago, when I did the test build of the one in the posting above. This one, which was built earlier this year and which retained its Westinghouse pump right up to withdrawal, will be 69791.

This loco was superheated so has the longer smokebox with the Gresley snifting valve just behind the chimney. It also has the later boiler with the slightly flatter dome and with the dome positioned differently to the original location, though it retained its North Eastern smokebox door. By 1950, this loco had also been fitted with LNER group standard buffers and drawgear. So of the class of ten examples, almost all of them differed.

And this one, from around 1949/50, did carry the British Railways lined mixed traffic livery with the early crest.

But before this A6 is completed, I think the two J72's, the J71 and the N10 are now due for completion.

You might be forgiven for thinking that I quite like these particular locomotives.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-80022500-1441645855_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 4

Mick

That drawing raises more questions than it answers. First it is different from the GA that I used to produce my kit. 

1. The tank filler is even further back than on my GA. Why was the position different from the norm? Usually the latch was hinged from the  tank front.

2. The boiler/tank stay bracket is cut away to clear the filler. On mine it appears to be the same location but is a full rectangle with six rivets.

3. The six inch patch behind the filler is in the same relative position to the filler. All the tank loco drawings that I have show this in the same position. I assume that this was an access panel to reach the bolts securing the filler top.

4. The angle attaching the side to the top is under the top and therefore the angle itself would not be visible. The drawing shows a sample of the rivets and pitch but no indication of whether or not these were countersunk.

ArthutK

Arthur/Mick,

I don't have access to a GA for the J73 but I do have photos of several of the class. Every photo I have, admittedly all during BR days, shows the tank fillers on these locos set back from the tank front, as per the GA in posting #70 above. This is clearly at odds with the more normal location, with the latch hinged from the tank front, on North Eastern tank locos.

Cheers

Mike

SCRATCH BUILT LNER A6

Just for comparison, this is a photo of the model of 69796, which was the very last A6 to survive, being withdrawn in 1953. This one looked, perhaps, the most modern of them all with the later smokebox door and the replacement of many of the original North Eastern features by later LNER and BR additions.

So I think that's perhaps enough on the A6's, at least for now.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-15874300-1441785960_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 7