Mikemeg's Workbench - Building locos of the North Eastern & LNER

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER J24

I'm having one of my detailing/finishing off days; these are days when I try and do all of those fiddly, five or ten minute jobs which are outstanding - brake linkages, lamp irons, etc. So apart from the tender brakes this is now complete and ready for the paint shop.

So Arthur's kit (one of his earliest kits) for the LNER J24.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-13295500-1445519077_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 11

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER A6

Following on from one detailing day, then another detailing day was had, yesterday, though this was just where I am on this loco rather than by choice. So most of the detailing of the front end - smokebox door, valve chest cover, blower valve, front lamp irons, handrail stanchions, etc. has now been done. I still have to add the footplate steps and the cab doors, all of which are made and ready to go on.

I know of one contributor to this topic area (apart from me) who thinks that these locomotives were just about as good as passenger tank locos ever got in terms of their proportions and the way they looked?

Too early to start thinking about the next one, though it will be another D20; this one from the production run.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-70492000-1445677691_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 10

More details added to this A6, leaving the handrails, sanding gear and footsteps to complete it.

When this A6 is done, then that really is it for A6's, unless of course ........

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-40211300-1445933865_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 9

I've seen a couple of queries, on this topic area, about forming the one piece boiler/smokebox handrail, which many locomotives carried. I normally do this by eye, using various formers of different radii. The first bend is the arc of a circle which spans the front of the smokebox, using a former of slightly less radius than the smokebox - it is very difficult to get the wire to follow the radius of the former exactly, so just gentle teasing with the fingers and repeated checking against the smokebox front, until this radius is correct.

The next bends are the flares, either side, which restore the handrail to the horizontal and for this I use the tang of a needle file, which is about 1/8" diameter. After those two bends are made, then the two bends which turn each side of the handrail through 90 degrees are made, again using the tang of the needle file. The separation between the two sides of the handrail should now be the same distance as that over the tiny holes in the handrail stanchions on either side of the smokebox, otherwise the handrail will deform when fitted.

On the handrail stanchions, I always fit the boiler and smokebox stanchions - and these are of different lengths (short for the smokebox, medium for the boiler) to cater for the different diameters of the smokebox and boiler - before fitting the handrail.

The two smokebox front handrail stanchions are then threaded onto the handrail before it is slid into position through the smokebox and boiler stanchions. The stanchions on the front of the smokebox can then be located and fixed into the smokebox front. I normally use the smallest touch of superglue to fix the handrail into the stanchions and then rub off any excess glue with the fibre glass brush.

Arthur's A6 loco kits have tiny holes in the tank fronts to allow the handrail to slide into the top of the tank which obviates the need to cut the sides of the handrail to an exact length.

The hawk eyed will see that very small gap between the buffer beam and the end of the footplate valance, which has now been dealt with.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-86531200-1446029460_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-24706400-1446030830_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 9

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER D20

And just as the A6 is nearing completion, this arrived through the post; Arthur's kit for the LNER Class D20.

This is actually a pre-production release using some older etches, as Arthur has modified the design of this kit and is now awaiting the production etches for further releases.

However, before the D20 is tackled I have some catching up to do on tenders as the test build for the D20 does not have a tender, yet. So I'll build the test etches for the Q7's 4125 gallon tender first, then the two 3940 gallon tenders  (one for the D20 test build; one for the D20 kit), as a batch. I've also got a Q5/1 kit, as yet unstarted, so I may also build the tender for that too, so making a batch of three North Eastern 3940 gallon tenders.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-90442900-1446033979_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 4

While some glue on the backhead assembly sets on the A6, chance to do some of the final jobs on the D20.

Having now added the Westinghouse pump and its associated piping, along with the mechanical lubricator then apart from vacuum pipes and couplings, this locomotive is now complete, though it still needs its own tender. The photo shows it with the 3940 gallon tender off the B15, which is identical except for the tank breathers on the B15 tender.

This is the original test build of the chassis and body of the D20, done quite a little time ago (2013), though it has had a couple of modifications in the intervening time. There is a thread around building this loco, now buried somwhere in this topic area and posted April 2013 onwards, though the production design of this kit has changed considerably from this build!  There's also a bit of scratch building on this as some of the castings (front valve cover, snifting valve, etc.) were not available when this was done.

It may also be worth mentioning that this is built for P4 and for minimum radii of around 4 feet, so I was able to use P4 3' 11" bogie wheels (the prototypes had 4' 0" bogie wheels) without these wheels fouling the underside of the footplate or touching the mainframes when negotiating curves. The mainframes on D20's did not have bogie wheel cut outs but were actually pinched in at the front ends and the kit reflects this.

So now to prime this and it can then wait for the paintshop, though I think I shall build some dummy inside motion for this.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-30774900-1446051827_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 8

I like the way the camera shakes with excitement.

Yes but the re-chargeable batteries, in the camera, were not at all impressed and decided to expire. I don't know how long re-chargable batteries should last but these are at least ten years old and must have been re-charged four or five hundred times - us Yorkshire folk do like to extract full value from such things! They'll probably do a 'super nova' and finally explode!!!!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

A few more details added to the A6; footplate steps, tank and bunker handrails, sandboxes, etc. So just the cab entrance handrails, sanding pipes, works plates and a couple more small details and this is complete and can be primed.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-72897800-1446131953_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 6

And a last photo of the D20 in its 'naked' brass state before it is primed with Halfords grey primer.

Looking though the photos of D20's in the 1950's, I came across one of 62372, of Selby shed, some time in the early/mid 1950's. The model matches this loco almost exactly (chimney, piping, etc.) except that 62372, by the 1950's, had LNER group standard drawgear and buffers. So since the photo, below, was taken this model has had its buffers changed from NER tapered to LNER stepped parallel.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-94903100-1446135107_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 10

A picture of a clean D20, at Hull Botanic Gardens shed in 1952. Strangely, though these locomotives remained on passenger workings throughout their BR days, they never carried the BR mixed traffic lined black livery, remaining in unlined black, though they did have their brass splasher beading polished up, at least when they were painted, or 'bulled up' for a special working.

This loco is carrying a 52D shed plate so may have been re-allocated to Hull, just prior to this photo or perhaps borrowed from Alnmouth for a special working.

Unlike many of the D20's, in their final days, this one managed to retain its running plate reasonably straight (this one has the 'Raven' frames above the footplate); many of them exhibited a very bent front running plate by the 1950's. This loco also has its vacuum pipe on the opposite side to the position shown on all of the drawings which shows it on the right hand side of the smokebox.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-72749100-1446292274_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 4

BR 62360 at some time prior to grouping received "Raven" convex frames as per the photo. As LNER 2101 in December 1942 it received "Thompson" cylinders and revised valve gear, the same as used on the extensively rebuilt LNER 2020 (BR 62349). I am not clear how the change in cylinders can be visually identified, although from the photo of 2020 it could be that there were an increase in the number of bolts, both above and below the footplate, holding the cylinder block in place. As the photo shows it with its BR number it most likely 62360 had a 59A Boiler.

• RMweb Premium

My cousin & I spent many happy hours sitting atop of the wall in the background of the first photo, right behind the turntable in the second. Happy that is until a disgruntled platelayer took offence at us being there and threatened us with a rather nasty oil brush! Needless to say we were soon back again - after he'd gone.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 3

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER Q7

The 'tender building fest' has now begun with the 4125 gallon self trimming tender for the Q7. Seems a long while since I did anything on the Q7!

Still some way to go on this tender (coal rails, compensated chassis, etc.) and the body needs a good go with the glass fibre brush but didn't stop me taking a photo of the tender, so far, with the Q7 superstructure. The tender body is just resting on the tender frames until the footsteps are completed.

Now awaiting more refills for the glass fibre brush so, perhaps, some priming, painting and lining before completing this tender and then starting a batch of three 3940 gallon tenders; two for D20's and one for a Q5/1.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-79140100-1446558899_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 7

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER Q7

The superstructure on the 4125 gallon tender is now complete, so now just a few details to add. The body of the tender has had a burnish with the glass fibre brush.

So now onto the compensated tender chassis, which is the next thing to be done.

Cheers

MIke

post-3150-0-50737600-1446706021_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 9

Before the last of these A6's succumbs to the priming can, a quick photo with one of its sister locomotives, built about six months ago. Once primed then both of these will be finished in BR lined black with the early crest.

The works plates are just small rectangles of .010" plasticard (3.5 mm x 2.5 mm) filed up oval, by eye.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-96087400-1446730943_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

BR 62360 at some time prior to grouping received "Raven" convex frames as per the photo. As LNER 2101 in December 1942 it received "Thompson" cylinders and revised valve gear, the same as used on the extensively rebuilt LNER 2020 (BR 62349). I am not clear how the change in cylinders can be visually identified, although from the photo of 2020 it could be that there were an increase in the number of bolts, both above and below the footplate, holding the cylinder block in place. As the photo shows it with its BR number it most likely 62360 had a 59A Boiler.

62360 is D20/2, hence the left-hand drive, which was exclusive to the sub-class. As for identifying features of the D20/2 cylinders, 62360 has the usual row of rivets at the top of the frames below the smokebox, but has 6 instead of the normal 7. In addition, there is an additional row of 6 bolts/rivets directly below these just above footplate level. The rivets/bolts on the section of frame visible from the side between the bogie wheels also differ. 62360, and possibly part 2 as a whole, had only one row of rivets/bolts lower down than normal, whereas I believe the "vanilla" version of the D20 had two rows. 

The photo is August 1952, when the loco was three quarters of the way through a 4-year stint at Alnmouth. 

The 59A boiler is recognisable by what I think may be called an isolating valve - the plate on the cab front at the centre line of the boiler top.

All this information is from Yeadon's captions, or perusal of his photos.  

Another odd feature of 62360 is that its footplate stopped short of the front buffer beam - at least at the period when it hauled the special seen above, as the many photos on the internet show. 

Does anyone happen to know the arrangement where Westinghouse meets splasher top? I believe the splasher top was cut out, but what shape I've never been able to tell. The GA shows nothing. Does anyone have a photo of the D17? And know if the D20 was the same? Photos of the build of the D20 kit above show that the cut-out has been omitted, though this has perhaps been corrected in later versions? 

Re oddballs, 592, which became D20/2 2371 had its splasher beading removed over the rear wheels only. As 62371 it hauled the penultimate day's trains over the Alnwick to Wooler section of the Alnwick and Cornhill, and thus was one the I wanted to model, but I thought it would look unbelievable. 

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone happen to know the arrangement where Westinghouse meets splasher top? I believe the splasher top was cut out, but what shape I've never been able to tell. The GA shows nothing. Does anyone have a photo of the D17? And know if the D20 was the same? Photos of the build of the D20 kit above show that the cut-out has been omitted, though this has perhaps been corrected in later versions? 

I have no knowledge of the shape of the cut-out for the Westinghouse pump but it must have been possible to withdraw the pump but whether this was upwards or downwards is uncertain. I am afraid that I took the easy way out  and pegged the top portion into the splasher top.. 

Just remembered this photo from the old Queen Street museum at York. It appears to have a gaping hole in the splasher top. However we must remember the this was a cosmetic restoration so whether it ran like this is unclear. Also the pump itself lacks the governor on its left. Another point to note that the vertical location of the pump is in the original position which was lower than that in the LNER/BR period which is why the exhaust from the pump emerges from a second hole in the splasher top.

Is any one wants to go the whole and make a large hole I can supply a complete pump..

post-6751-0-75584300-1446757883.jpg

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 2