Mikemeg's Workbench - Building locos of the North Eastern & LNER

41 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Can't the cab front window positions and roof radius just be taken from a G5? Or isn't it that simple? 

This is very useful as I wasn't aware that the G5 was in Mr Kimber's range of kits.

9 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

This is very useful as I wasn't aware that the G5 was in Mr Kimber's range of kits.

I don't think it is - sorry to mislead you. I was just asking if the LRM kit or drawings of the G5 could help ascertain positions of the cab-front windows. 

54 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

I don't think it is - sorry to mislead you. I was just asking if the LRM kit or drawings of the G5 could help ascertain positions of the cab-front windows. 

Sorry about the misunderstanding, from your experience can you recommend the LRM G5 as being an accurate model?

59 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

Sorry about the misunderstanding, from your experience can you recommend the LRM G5 as being an accurate model?

Mike's the one to ask as he has built several. If I recall, the radii in the cab apertures may be a bit off; the main problem though is the castings - dome, chimney and safety valve trumpet in particular, and the lack of alternative fittings to cover later periods. 

I am currentlly looking at all the evidence that I have relating  to position of  the round cab windows in  NER cabs.

The J71 and J72  are  easy, I have  dimensioned  drawings of those. They are 4' 4" apart and 5' 3"  above the  footplate but it is surprising how many others use these dimensions. Perhaps this i s not  so surprising if one  remembers that they have to provide vision for enginemen whether tall and short.  For example the T1 surely  a big engine would be different. Well yes it is the windows a re 1" higher but the  same distance apart.

Taking these are a standard then the windows on my F8 are too high by just 1mm in 4mm  scale.

Unfortunately the normal GA does not show front views.

I hope that this is  useful.

ArthurK

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Mike's the one to ask as he has built several. If I recall, the radii in the cab apertures may be a bit off; the main problem though is the castings - dome, chimney and safety valve trumpet in particular, and the lack of alternative fittings to cover later periods. 

Thank you for that useful information.

• Friendly/supportive 1

To me, the cab lookouts look fine on all the earlier photos, it's only on the latest there appears to be a problem. As the same cab front has been used then I feel it's a combination of camera angle/perspective distortion and an illusion caused by a strip of solder(?) on the cab front/sides joint.

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER F8

After a few days off, wandering around Richmond (North Yorkshire) and Swaledale, it's back to the model of the F8.

The cab internals, attached to the bunker front, have been assembled and fitted So the locker, coal door and slides and sandboxes have all been attached to the front of the bunker as a sub-assembly. Before the cab rear is soldered into place, a chance to check the fit of the cab floor against the various items protruding into the cab.  Seems ok so the cab rear can now be fixed.

Cheers

Mike

P1010031.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER F8

Well, after almost a couple of weeks, though with a few days out, the third build has now reached the point where the second build was aborted. So, from here on in then we should be into 'new territory'!

The unfilled hole on the boiler, under the handrail stanchion, is to accommodate the clack valve; the one on the smokebox, directly under the globe lubricator, is to accommodate some of the 'plumbing' associated with the Westinghouse pump, which has yet to be fitted.

I'm beginning to feel that I know the F8, quite well!

Cheers

Mike

P1040019.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

LONDON ROAD MODELS G5

Pebbles,

Below are a couple of photos of the three G5's which I built a couple of years ago. One of the models represents No 67340, which had extended tanks and which was the only one rebuilt in this way. The other two represent a couple of the variations in appearance which members of this class exhibited later in their lives. Some retained their Westinghouse pumps, some had the bunker cage and some had the bunker cage with a hopper fitted. Some were push and pull fitted, etc.

Even though this kit is now some thirty years old, it is still very relevant and, with a little extra detailing, makes up into a very convincing model.

Cheers

Mike

P1250017.JPG

P1260027.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 14

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER F8

Well I'm now into 'new territory' with this build as I start the final detailing. Most of this is 'plumbing' with the various pipes, pumps, valves, etc. and there is quite a lot of it.

So I won't post a 'step by step' on all of the detailing but I'll post just this one as the final phase of the build is started.

I still need to balance the loco, using the front carrying axle, which is compensated and can thus be slightly adjusted for height.

Cheers

Mike

P1050020.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Chas,

Yes, tis indeed an 'ole'. There is a Westinghouse pump to be attached to the front of the left hand side tank - the one visible in the above photo of the model. Pipes go 'hither and thither' from this pump, one of which goes to the smokebox, hence the hole.

The same side of the cab front - the left hand side - has also had a drilling done to accept another pipe from the Westinghouse pump; the one that curves back on itself from the pump. The far side - right hand side - of the cab front was also drilled to accept the vacuum pipe from the smokebox to the cab.

Far easier to make these drillings when the cab front is 'in the flat' rather than when it is fitted into the loco superstructure.

The photo below shows the arrangement.

Regards

Mike

F8 129003.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, mikemeg said:

Hi Chas,

Yes, tis indeed an 'ole'. There is a Westinghouse pump to be attached to the front of the left hand side tank - the one visible in the above photo of the model. Pipes go 'hither and thither' from this pump, one of which goes to the smokebox, hence the hole.

The photo below shows the arrangement.

Regards

Mike

F8 129003.jpg

I'm presuming that that pipe is the steam exhaust - but it's all a bit of a "rats' nest" of pipework, isn't it! Definitely necessary though, with the pump being so obvious.

That's a superb photo for showing off the detailing, by the way.

You mentioned the leading axle being compensated, Mike. How's it been done, please? If I recall from upthread, the driving wheels are controlled by beams, so that's clear.

Mark

• Like 2