Railway & Modelling Obituaries

George O'Hara

grid56104

It is with very much sadness that I have to record the death of George O'Hara from Prestwick and author of a good few railway titles. He was killed on Thursday when a lorry struck him when he was cycling in Irvine. RIP George. Max Fowler  

I literally re-found one of George's fantastic collections this afternoon.  It had my rapt attention for a good hour when I should have been shifting the contents of a bookcase ready to decorate.  It was the one volume that really caught my eye and shouted 'check me out again!'  

I only discovered his books a few years ago, and was really hoping for more in the same style, they pack so much period detail in, and he's not afraid to include the less common subjects or locations, even if the quality or composition isn't to award-winning standard, just to share the wealth of detail or unusual situations once taken for granted.

As a devotee of Scottish, the guy was one of my published heroes.  It is terribly tragic for him to be taken in this way, and the genre has been robbed of a great contributor.  I unreservedly extend my heartfelt sympathy and best wishes to his family and friends.  By his works we shall continue to know him.  R.I.P Mr O'Hara.

And I think self published?

Believe so.

How sad this news is :(

His memory will live on in the railway world, through the books which have surely become the backbone of any Scottish modeller or railway historian's library.  As Chard alludes to, the pictures are not necessarily 'pretty' but they are invaluable due to the broad scope of subjects and locations depicted - many being somewhat out the way and rarely published.  

His 'blue books' on the BR(Sc) steam and diesel eras, and the older 'Urban and Rural' have been a great education for me in recent years, and I give thanks for that.

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely horrified at this news. It's bad enough when it's natural causes but when it's something like being out enjoying yourself on your bike and been run over.....it just seems so futile. Robbed of your time on this Earth

Thoughts go to George's family and friends who must be devastated

A sad loss to people interested in transport in Scotland. I have George's books "BR Diesel Traction in Scotland" and he signed his following "BR Steam in Scotland" for me.Both are well used volumes . Lots of interest and almost the bible for railway enthusiasts north of the border. More so than any other photo albums. I also have " 100 Years of Shipping on the River Clyde" which contains great views of Glasgow and the firth when it was busy with shipping. I was looking forward to more books from George because they would almost certainly have been of interest.

Just so sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read about this sad news. His books were excellent and I had heard that he had another book in the pipeline. A sad loss.

I know George was working on another book on Scottish Diesels (he had taken some of my class 56 and 60 photos for possible inclusion) but I know he was working on some other books aswell and he had indicated these would come first. Perhaps some of his closer friends will know much better how far George had taken the Scottish Diesels Title and hopefully one of them may be able to take it on and finish it as a tribute to George. Max

All,

Thank you for your kind words regarding the untimely death of my father, George O'Hara. It is of some comfort that his complete works, all signed by the author, have pride of place in my library.

I understand that he was working on another title at the time of his death. I would be interested in hearing, in good time, from any of you who may have collaborated with George as regards source materials for his book.

Thanks and best regards,

Kenneth O'Hara.

• 3 weeks later...

George was due to speak at Revolving Words in October on his books documenting the Scottish Railway Scene. Although I had not met him, I had had the pleasure of talking to him about the arrangements over the phone and was very much looking forward to meeting him and hearing him speak. Our condolences to his wife, son and daughter at this tragic loss. The Wensleydale Railway Association (Trust) will always be grateful for the generosity he showed in the past in donating his books to support our fundraising efforts.

Archived