Pencarne, = BLT from page 54

Andrew P

Hi Peter, yes I will but NOT as is prototypical, I will be running from the 68 ish Transission Period i.e end of Steam with Blue Coaches, Green and Blue Hydraulics and into the Blue period BUT with Brown Vans etc, but with Tops numbering which I know is wrong, but all my Blue stock is Tops and will remain that way.

I am not being shoe horned into corners this time, I like Blue, I like Tops and I like Brown Vans etc.

No worries,

It's your layout you can run what you want and tops loco's mixed with pre tops stock so it wont look too bad, I am just glad you are keeping some of those nice sound fitted diesels. They will quite good rolling through your station on some clay wagons.

Enjoy the build Andy it's a nice looking plan with plenty of play value.

All the best Peter.

Morning Andy.

Just some more ramblings - tell me to "shut up"if you don't want any of my thoughts. I'm very mindful that it's your layout.....

* I see a lot of Par in Andy's layout plan - that has a facing crossover at the London end and a trailing one at the other

* The layout of the yard - its sidings and loops etc - is probably the most important element to get right. Main running lines are the easy bit

* Have another think about the signalbox location - see where it's situated at Par (and St Erth too) - in the "V" between main and branch

Thanks Peter, I've never seen Par or St Erith, I will have a look, your probably right, it needs to go in the V between the tracks for the Single Line Token Exchange.

• Like 3

No worries,

It's your layout you can run what you want and tops loco's mixed with pre tops stock so it wont look too bad, I am just glad you are keeping some of those nice sound fitted diesels. They will quite good rolling through your station on some clay wagons.

Enjoy the build Andy it's a nice looking plan with plenty of play value.

All the best Peter.

Just been looking and I've got a spare SWD 37 Sound Chip which I may put in Tre Pol and Pen, and I may put one into one of the two Blue 37's as well. I enjoyed the long freights running through Bitton but now I have the facing crossover at the Bodmin end its a more useable Yard. I can also bring a freight into the loop as a Passenger passes through with a 50 at the head.

Just heard from Hornby and my 50 50035 Ark Royal will be back from them tomorrow, they've had it since March for a new Circuit Board. The OLD OLD Ark Royal was the last Ship my Grandfather worked on in Devonport before he retired in about 1958.

• Like 6

Hi Andy,

This looks broody brilliant mate!

I think you're well armed with track plans etc, just bang the track in as you like it and crack on w' scenery as I think you'll find a lot of satisfaction there!

Just take your time and don't overthink it!

All the best mate,

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Andy.

Just some more ramblings - tell me to "shut up"if you don't want any of my thoughts. I'm very mindful that it's your layout.....

* I see a lot of Par in Andy's layout plan - that has a facing crossover at the London end and a trailing one at the other

* The layout of the yard - its sidings and loops etc - is probably the most important element to get right. Main running lines are the easy bit

* Have another think about the signalbox location - see where it's situated at Par (and St Erth too) - in the "V" between main and branch

I think the problem with moving the signalbox would be finding room for it and in reality it would only be for token exchange and there's no need for that to be done because an auxiliary instrument could be assumed to be in the station building on the island platform, so not the end of the world if it can't be relocated into the vee or to that side.

As far as the facing crossover on the viaduct is concerned the usual arrangement (as originally at Par) would be for the facing point to run to a single slip on the opposite line thus avoiding a main lines facing crossover but there clearly isn't room to do that without some major changes and a potentially very tight curve.  But there was an example in the West Country of a separate facing crossover in the way Andy has drawn his plan and of course Par was added later.  For the era Andy is portraying I don't think it jars too much and can be explained away quite neatly.

Interesting to see that Andy had someone in the family deported to Aus from Bodmin gaol - Mrs Stationmaster also had one of her past Cornish family deported to Aus although I'm not sure if he was either of the ones who spent some time in Bodmin gaol; must have been a busy place!

• Like 2

Looking at your plan again the possibilities for scenery are terrific you will be able to recreate leafy Cornwall with winding lanes and interesting cottages,I think this side of the layout will be more fun than any other job you probably wont even run trains that often while your scenicing! Chris

• Like 1

Hi Andy, I've just come across this thread and wish you well with the build, as someone remarked earlier it's apparent you feel "comfortable" with it and that is the major consideration. With it and the inspiration that is engendered one can really enjoy the project and proceed with enthusiasm.

The back story is credible and a sure foundation. I like that too.

One small matter: I would find space for the head shunt. They are very useful.

All good wishes.

Do I take it that Bitton is no more?

Edited by john flann
  • Like 1

Hi Andy, I've just come across this thread and wish you well with the build, as someone remarked earlier it's apparent you feel "comfortable" with it and that is the major consideration. With it and the inspiration that is engendered one can really enjoy the project and proceed with enthusiasm.

The back story is credible and a sure foundation. I like that too.

One small matter: I would find space for the head shunt. They are very useful.

All good wishes.

Do I take it that Bitton is no more?

Thanks John, Yes Bitton  didn't allow me the flexibility to have a better Goods Yard and access to Trewenn from the main line so I started Whittaker St that was a big no no despite my early enthusiasm for a Terminus.

I think the problem with moving the signalbox would be finding room for it and in reality it would only be for token exchange and there's no need for that to be done because an auxiliary instrument could be assumed to be in the station building on the island platform, so not the end of the world if it can't be relocated into the vee or to that side.

As far as the facing crossover on the viaduct is concerned the usual arrangement (as originally at Par) would be for the facing point to run to a single slip on the opposite line thus avoiding a main lines facing crossover but there clearly isn't room to do that without some major changes and a potentially very tight curve.  But there was an example in the West Country of a separate facing crossover in the way Andy has drawn his plan and of course Par was added later.  For the era Andy is portraying I don't think it jars too much and can be explained away quite neatly.

Interesting to see that Andy had someone in the family deported to Aus from Bodmin gaol - Mrs Stationmaster also had one of her past Cornish family deported to Aus although I'm not sure if he was either of the ones who spent some time in Bodmin gaol; must have been a busy place!

Thanks Mike, also interested in your spelling of the JAIL / GOAL there were some VERY naughty people in Cornwall back then.

Also thanks for the info on the Box and crossover, the crossover has to stay as it is because the Single Slip would need to be on a tight curve.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Just a quick "Hi" Andy, and to wish you good luck with this. I'm not qualified to offer any kind of advice, but if I were it would be this...

Do your own thing and be happy doing it.

• Like 4

Thanks Pete, Marcus and Dan, its all in a days work, hahha I will be doing my OWN THING but MORE than happy to be guided by experts that know better than me. The difference this time is that I wont always follow the advice 100% but will use it as a tool for a better Layout within the constraints of the Peco Track.

• Like 4

Going back now to the Start.

Some weeks ago I made a start on the Storage Yard, at the moment it will be a six road, all By directional and so that will give me a Passenger, a Parcels and four Freight. I may need to expand on this and that is why Trewenn wont be laid until I'm happy with Pencarne and the Storage area.

In my scrap wire box I found a length of Multi cable, I have used this to connect the points in the Storage Yard and wired them into a Gaugemaster T1 16V AC Transformer and the points are operated through a Hornby Lever Frame at the work bench end of the yard.

The Loom is connected each end with Male / Female plug and sockets so that if I need to take the boards apart then I only need to unplug the cable at each end.

The Workbench end has Peco motors fitted under the points through the baseboard as there wasn't much room there to put them on top, but at the other end I have fitted them above the baseboard for easy maintenance and replacement should I need to do so.

Here's some pics of the Storage Yard.

post-9335-0-29412800-1436977051_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-80617700-1436977080_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-34270200-1436977110_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-21530700-1436977141_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-18442400-1436977200_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-21970000-1436977234_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 19

A new idea Andy? I like it.

You have to get on with what is right for you, exactly as Peter says 'Play value', that's what it's all about, what we enjoy and what we want to spend our time doing.

With the exception of ballasting, once it feels like a chore, that's the time to stop and think. That's exactly why I had a change of direction.

I see the added features over your last roundy, and as you say, it's got much more potential.

I'm following now.

Jinty ;)

• Like 4

I've just won a GWR Signal Box on Flea Bay, it may be right, it may not, but it will do the job for me, more than pleased, especially as I only need one for Pencarne now, and I have the Highley one for Trewenn.

post-9335-0-80236300-1436990979_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 8

Those wires in the fiddle yard will have to be laid in some proper trunking Andy with lids in place !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the interest of H&S of course  :jester: Don't want you tripping up in the cease 

I'll get the PW Gang to put a Back Scene in  front to protect it soon, hahha.

• Like 1

Afternoon Andy,

I love the way that you are 'doing your own thing' with this one, and you appear to be having much more fun with it. I think you let your mind become cluttered with too much 'expert advice' on the last two! I disagree with your comment in post #40 about modellers that are 'better than you' - think back to the number of successful layouts you have produced and indeed had published. Most are now giving pleasure to their new owners (look at Peter with 'Deesdale Road' for instance!) and the 'better' element is a very subjective matter indeed. I'm really enjoying this thread because it is somehow more natural.

You mentioned Bodmin Jail (Gaol) earlier - I visited it when I lived in Cornwall in the seventies and it was a ruin then. Apparently it still is but now has a limited tourist attraction in part of it, with items referring to some of the more notorious inmates - I'm not sure if anyone by the name of Peters is on show! The old Court House fared better back then, becoming a sort of pop music venue from memory. There are no jails in Cornwall these days.

I look forward to the next episode of the 'Pencarne Junction' saga, although Joanna and I are off for a week long break to Suffolk where internet connectivity might be patchy but I'll catch up on my return.

Regards to Dee, who I'm certain will be happy to see the current less stressed Andy in action,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2