In Situ address Reader

TerrySVR

Is any one aware of a system for DCC which reads the address of a loco automatically? I am having a large layout built and ideally want a chip recognition system that would identify each loco by its chip number by a display I could have on each control panel.

I do have a paper system but its difficult when locos are in a storage yard or some distance away. The layout will be over 30ft long and I do have a lot of locos.

Many thanks.

Terry

'Parallel' systems to use with DCC also exist in various forms, from differing manufacturers...

Optical: BAR CODE readers, 'Lissy',  and RFid readers which read tags on stock (locos or wagons) and Hornby are getting close to launching their new system to read stock identities

(Pictures of the readers have appeared on their website this last week... for the first time since the original announcement over a year ago)

Railcom has the advantage (that MArklin's mfx sysytem also has) of integrating the system with bi-directional communication through the track; however, it is often just easy, or easier, to run a separate sysytem which talks (eventually) to your single railway computer control / display program.... in the same way that other feedback busses have been for many yeas.

Do you want to do this whilst the loco is out on the layout (i.e. identify the loco for automated routing as it passes one of a number of readers) or at a single point, say entry to a fiddle yard or as it passes the control panel? How many detection points do you need?

Railcom limits your choice of decoders and will not help unless the loco is the only one in an isolated section connected to a reader.

RFID will also need care that there is only one loco within range of the reader.

LISSY is (or should be) point to point between the loco and reader so should not suffer from multiple identities

Andrew

Lenz offers very small RailCom transmitters for retrofitting existing DCC loco's. I have some, they work well. The RailCom specs are set out for double loco recognition, but I'm not aware any manufacturer actually implemented it. I kind-of expect there's a revision in the future that implements even more features on recognition using the RailCom protocol.

Not heard a lot lately but dcc4pc

quote's

More than one decoder per monitored zone can be read

​with their system

Of course if you have a comand system thats not expressnet

this may not be the way to go

trevor

I know Railcom can read more than one decoder per zone, but that was not the point I was trying to make.

I thought the question was about locos that might be up to 30ft away from the observer. If two or more decoders respond, you still don't know the absolute position of the locos unless you can eyeball them or have some a priori knowledge of where they might be. E.g. the railcom reader for fiddle yard track 3 tells you A, B and C responded, you don't know which order they are standing unless you have memorised or written it down (back to the paper based system which the OP doesn't want).

Andrew

I know Railcom can read more than one decoder per zone, but that was not the point I was trying to make.

I thought the question was about locos that might be up to 30ft away from the observer. If two or more decoders respond, you still don't know the absolute position of the locos unless you can eyeball them or have some a priori knowledge of where they might be. E.g. the railcom reader for fiddle yard track 3 tells you A, B and C responded, you don't know which order they are standing unless you have memorised or written it down (back to the paper based system which the OP doesn't want).

Andrew

Not trying to sell railcom or more to  the point dcc4pc but you can switch direction on one of the loco's and railcom should tell you that so you would know if it was A,B or C

because direction of travel is a part of the things it can do

trevor

Too be honest in the little world in which I live I thought there be a way of having a window on each storage track shown on the control panel which would identify the cv of the loco on that track. Mainly because of distance away fron control panel, poor eye sight, poor memory etc etc.

Hope that makes sense

Too be honest in the little world in which I live I thought there be a way of having a window on each storage track shown on the control panel which would identify the cv of the loco on that track. Mainly because of distance away fron control panel, poor eye sight, poor memory etc etc.

Hope that makes sense

Yes, and the answers above address the question. But, none are "dead cheap" or "without compromises".

For example - RailCom, which could work, requires a RailCom cutout device (some DCC systems have this already present), RailCom detector(s) in the track, and a feedback mechanism from the detector to the panel display. And, RailCom capable decoders in each loco (which may mean adding/changing decoders in locos which don't currently have the right decoders). The other examples have similar issue/compromises around the number of detectors, need to add components to locos and needing a feedback mechanism.

As to how many detectors, that depends on how the storage tracks work. For some arrangements, a single detector as trains come into storage, and a computer which knows the state of turnouts, will be sufficient to deduce that the train which passed the detector ended up in a certain road, and thus is identified correctly. With some other track arrangements, you may need a detector on every storage road (or a means to switch the detector between roads, which would allow you to ask "what is on road 5?"  ).

Alternatives to train detection would include video cameras (which can be small and very cheap) on the storage roads.

- Nigel

Do you want to do this whilst the loco is out on the layout (i.e. identify the loco for automated routing as it passes one of a number of readers) or at a single point, say entry to a fiddle yard or as it passes the control panel? How many detection points do you need?

Railcom limits your choice of decoders and will not help unless the loco is the only one in an isolated section connected to a reader.

RFID will also need care that there is only one loco within range of the reader.

LISSY is (or should be) point to point between the loco and reader so should not suffer from multiple identities

Andrew

Railcom is available in quite a wide range of dcc decoders

A proper railcom decoder can handle multiple locos in one section

Railcom has the advantage of being available out of the box and needing no additional additions to the running stock

All the others are essentially home brew solutions

Railcom limits your choice of decoders...

Lenz offers very small RailCom transmitters for retrofitting existing DCC loco's. I have some, they work well. ......

All currently produced Lenz, ESU and Zimo DCC loco decoders are equipped with Railcom or RailCom Plus; as are many others from different manufacturers.

The exceptions will be most of those from US DCC decoder companies and the cheapo decoders, rebranded under various banners, such as those bearing certain model shop names.

The RailCom transmitters (Dutch_Master mentioned the Lenz ones) , are also available from ESU and Uhlenbrock (combined Lissy/RailCom).

There may be some by other brands by now?

These can be added to any non-RailCom decoder fitted loco, to provide RailCom functionality.

Many controllers can read the address by placing the loco/item onto the programming track and pressing READ.  I once borrowed some locos at a show and had to do that as the owner failed to tell me what address they were sat on!

• RMweb Premium

erm.. ever tried programming the loco chip to be the last four digits of the actual loco number? If its a big layout go walkabout to see the number.. seems to work on a very large BR (LMR) layout being built at teh moment.

erm.. ever tried programming the loco chip to be the last four digits of the actual loco number? If its a big layout go walkabout to see the number.. seems to work on a very large BR (LMR) layout being built at teh moment.

Thats what I do but some of the fiddle yard is not easy to see as pointed out earlier. Plus the old eyes arent as good as they used to be.

I have similar problems with hidden storage sidings below the main layout. Using RailRoad & co software and detection blocks I can display the sidings and trains/locos occupying them as in the pic below. However if you are not interested in automation or interlocked computer controlled signalling it's probably a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution.

post-327-0-60520600-1437254795.jpg

A small video camera and a decent sized flat-screen monitor can make recognition of what is happening in 'hidden' areas eaier ... and encourage their becomng a 'semi scenic' part of the layout.

A good use for an 'old' non-HD Freeview receiver TV.  (And I believe that 'unscenic' 'fiddle yards' are a waste of valuabel space - especially at exhibitions, where they could be showing 'under construction' buildings, and often have the best display of stock, in the most boring of 'presentations' ..... a bit of grass or service-yard either side would do wonders 8-) )

Archived