Cheapside Yard - RIP (Ripped into pieces!)

BG John

I really enjoy your approach to modelling - and the lightweight, delicate baseboards, clearly forged in a similar vein to my own.... when the bomb drops, our layouts will survive!

Seriously, this is some great work, and has got me thinking about my whole fear of weird and wonderful pointwork

I really enjoy your approach to modelling - and the lightweight, delicate baseboards, clearly forged in a similar vein to my own.... when the bomb drops, our layouts will survive!

Seriously, this is some great work, and has got me thinking about my whole fear of weird and wonderful pointwork

Bombproof maybe, but not so sure about floods. Living in Wales, just the damp may be enough!

I haven't got it running yet, so there's no guarantee the weird pointwork will even work, let alone be wonderful! I don't think I'll do plain track this way again, but it's been worth trying. If it doesn't work, the three points I've vandalised only cost £4.50, plus a bit of cheap superglue. The mixed gauge one should be easily recoverable, and was only £8, unused in it's original box. The plain track was £13.45, but most of the rail is recoverable for building some decent light railway track.

Looks like it should work to me. Interesting approach. I'm considering knocking something up in this scale as a test bed & to serve as a train set for my son. The tight radius & steep inclines will look better in Narrow gauge. And the cheapo 0-4-0 Hornby chassis shouldn't be too ruinous to replace when they give up the struggle! Enjoying the build. Keep at it! 

• Like 1

When I started in O Gauge, I made a firm and definite decision that the only loco I would ever buy is a Dapol K&ESR Terrier. Any further locos would either be scratchbuilt, or I'd go without.

post-7091-0-60376700-1441894157.jpg

I actually bought it about a month ago, but the first one was faulty and had to go back, so I've only had it a couple of weeks. It was entirely Dapol's fault of course, as it was after stories of faulty packaging started to circulate, and it looked like there would be yet more delays to the Terrier. As it happens, it looks as though there may be another delay if they don't know what colour to paint it, so maybe it was a wise decision justifies my naughtiness!

Does this mean I'm cancelling my Terrier order? Not really, but I'm having to alter plans for the next layout a bit so I have an excuse to run a loco that Colonel Stephens never owned!

• Like 5

The narrow gauge railway has acquired its first coach. Inspired by the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway's purchase of coaches from a cancelled South American order, they have purchased this. It's rather bigger than anything that was intended for it, but it just fits, and doesn't seem too out of place next to Smokey Joe.

post-7091-0-60812400-1441895063.jpg

It doesn't look too oversized next to a small standard gauge loco either.

post-7091-0-17884600-1441895074.jpg

Having seen it, I started to wish I'd bought the other one that was available, but two of them and Smokey Joe in its current form won't quite fit in the fiddle yard! I've got my eye on some more appropriate coaches, but if I don't get them, and the other one is still available, when Smokey Joe goes into the workshop for a permanent cab, some drastic length reducing surgery could be carried out too!

post-7091-0-04486100-1441895340.jpg

• Like 6

Smokey Joe with an open cab looks an awful lot like a Quarry Hunslet. You may be able to insert a longer middle section to the chimney to make it a little more appropriate for the full cab version though. A pair of dummy slide bar covers will also help hide the toy-train look of the connecting rods.

Edited by hartleymartin

When I started in O Gauge, I made a firm and definite decision that the only loco I would ever buy is a Dapol K&ESR Terrier. Any further locos would either be scratchbuilt, or I'd go without.

attachicon.gifDSCF7667.JPG

I actually bought it about a month ago, but the first one was faulty and had to go back, so I've only had it a couple of weeks. It was entirely Dapol's fault of course, as it was after stories of faulty packaging started to circulate, and it looked like there would be yet more delays to the Terrier. As it happens, it looks as though there may be another delay if they don't know what colour to paint it, so maybe it was a wise decision justifies my naughtiness!

Does this mean I'm cancelling my Terrier order? Not really, but I'm having to alter plans for the next layout a bit so I have an excuse to run a loco that Colonel Stephens never owned!

Thats how 7mm gets you - my ethos was the exact same, then Jack Ray encouraged me to join the Guild, then a couple of new old stock kits and a part built wagon and then....Down Ampney! So I empathise. Im still undecided about a Fowler (I was lucky enough to drive a real one) and I await the Dapol 08 (I have the MMP kit to do - but life keeps getting in the way of kit building), then there is the Heljan Warship and some nice Tanks from Lionheart....its addictive! Several friends have Ixion models and they are great, run well and look good too!

The narrow gauge railway has acquired its first coach. Inspired by the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway's purchase of coaches from a cancelled South American order, they have purchased this. It's rather bigger than anything that was intended for it, but it just fits, and doesn't seem too out of place next to Smokey Joe.

attachicon.gifDSCF7671.JPG

It doesn't look too oversized next to a small standard gauge loco either.

attachicon.gifDSCF7675.JPG

Having seen it, I started to wish I'd bought the other one that was available, but two of them and Smokey Joe in its current form won't quite fit in the fiddle yard! I've got my eye on some more appropriate coaches, but if I don't get them, and the other one is still available, when Smokey Joe goes into the workshop for a permanent cab, some drastic length reducing surgery could be carried out too!

attachicon.gifDSCF7679.JPG

I have a couple of 4 wheel German coaches that are pretty large for Down Ampney Sand & Gravel (0-16.5).

Where did your - model - coach come from?

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

You could always shorten a second coach.

I've always wondered about those coaches. I've been thinking on and off to convert them to standard gauge. I might still do it one of these days.

It's too small for standard gauge. I checked the dimensions against the WC&P ones. I don't fancy chopping them up, especially as Cheapside Yard is supposed to be just a quick starter layout, and I'd have to try to match the existing paintwork to hide the join!

Smokey Joe with an open cab looks an awful lot like a Quarry Hunslet. You may be able to insert a longer middle section to the chimney to make it a little more appropriate for the full cab version though. A pair of dummy slide bar covers will also help hide the toy-train look of the connecting rods.

The cab is intended to be my first effort with my Silhouette Portrait, and avoids the need to worry about adding 7mm detail to an open cab. I'm intending to add a longer chimney, and maybe some toolboxes to hide the awful motor fitting clips. I might add skirts as I'm inclined towards a tramway layout, but your suggestion is worth considering. I'm not going to make a big thing of it, as it was only intended as a quick loco to get started with, and is one of the turbocharged ones, so not ideal anyway.

Edited by BG John

Thats how 7mm gets you - my ethos was the exact same, then Jack Ray encouraged me to join the Guild, then a couple of new old stock kits and a part built wagon and then....Down Ampney! So I empathise. Im still undecided about a Fowler (I was lucky enough to drive a real one) and I await the Dapol 08 (I have the MMP kit to do - but life keeps getting in the way of kit building), then there is the Heljan Warship and some nice Tanks from Lionheart....its addictive! Several friends have Ixion models and they are great, run well and look good too!

My date is probably 1905, and certainly pre WW1, so diseasals are out, as are all the eyewateringly expensive RTR steamers. The Hudswell Clarke needs backdating one of these days, with a riveted cab, sandboxes above the footplate and a new smokebox door I think. I've no intention of joining the Guild, as that seems like a path to even greater expense!

I have a couple of 4 wheel German coaches that are pretty large for Down Ampney Sand & Gravel (0-16.5).

Where did your - model - coach come from?

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

CME

I was given one of those monstrous Lima continental coaches. I don't like wasting things, but am a bit stuck with what to do with it so far.

I'm not telling where the coach came from until I've decided whether to buy the other one!

My date is probably 1905, and certainly pre WW1, so diseasals are out, as are all the eyewateringly expensive RTR steamers. The Hudswell Clarke needs backdating one of these days, with a riveted cab, sandboxes above the footplate and a new smokebox door I think. I've no intention of joining the Guild, as that seems like a path to even greater expense!

I was given one of those monstrous Lima continental coaches. I don't like wasting things, but am a bit stuck with what to do with it so far.

I'm not telling where the coach came from until I've decided whether to buy the other one!

Yes joining the Guild was the slippery slope for me - my orginal 0-16.5 layout, St Anne's on the Hill, with a small length of standard gauge track, became an O gauge layout and moved from 1940s to 1960/70s LOL!, Yet its all done on a budget and looking at the s/h price of Heljan Hymeks makes me wonder if I should cash in and sell them on - LOL!

Dont worry I wasnt about to steal your thunder/source, for the coach just mild interest from a modelling POV, thats all.

The coach would be too big for DA S&G - that will be just some rails set into the sand with NG trains trundling by every now and then.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It looks as if you're at the moment of truth when power is applied. Hope the running goes ok over the old point work. You've got a stack of different jobs with track infill, buildings, locos and rolling stock to push on with, good luck with it all, I'm interested to see how it shapes, seeing the standard gauge and narrow gauge lash-up trains side by side is looking really hopeful.

• Like 1

All the standard gauge track is now laid, but I've still got to strengthen it at the baseboard join, and add the check rails. Then I can add some of the wiring and hopefully get something moving. I've got one loco and four working wagons, so just need to add the missing buffers and couplings to the fifth wagon to have all I need for the inglenook. I haven't got enough narrow gauge stock yet, so I'll do the rest of the tracklaying after the standard gauge is working.

Another bogie coach arrived today. I couldn't resist it! I probably won't be able to run two coach trains on Cheapside Yard, but something else is coming soon where I can!

• Like 2

The layout is now out of the workshop, and currently in what can best be described as the junk room (or one of them!). It's next to my office, where I do my modelling, so hopefully things should speed up now.

post-7091-0-93710000-1443370322.jpg

I've read that PVA used to stick down track can discolour it, and this makes it quite obvious. The copper clad sleepers on the standard gauge in the fiddle yard are half the thickness of the Peco track, so at the baseboard join I've doubled them up, and there's a bit of a slope down to the single thickness. I'll add some packing to the sleepers on the sloping bit later, but at the moment they're not stuck down. The discolouring of the rail is clear, but there's a very slight discolouring of the sleepers too. I haven't tried cleaning it up yet.

post-7091-0-55951300-1443370330.jpg

post-7091-0-54676400-1443370337.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good,

I've read that PVA used to stick down track can discolour it, and this makes it quite obvious.

you could try 50/50 latex (Copydex) and water with a drop of washing up liquid, I find it better, it dries matt and can be removed more easily if required.

Peter

I'm just set in my ways (or at least some of them!). I'm not really sure there's any point in using cork underlay, but I do! I've had to lift a bit of track on another project that I haven't let lose on the world yet (as it's one that will come after Cheapside Yard), and that came up fairly easily.

Maybe when I get to work on the next bit of O gauge (that Peter may recognise in the background), I'll be adventurous and try Copydex.

• 5 weeks later...

It's alive!

Well sort of. I reinforced the track at the baseboard join, and fitted the check rails on the bodged Peco points today. Then I cleaned the track and wrapped wires from the controller around the rails on the traverser. I can push wagons across the baseboard joint, but the loco can't leave the fiddle yard - yet! I may do a bit of the wiring tomorrow, although some of the connections will only be temporary, but at least I'll be able to play operate it.

post-7091-0-73542000-1445902275.jpg

post-7091-0-37645700-1445902285.jpg

post-7091-0-54599100-1445902299.jpg

I've been a bit distracted by other things for the last few weeks, although what I've been doing should make my modelling efforts a lot easier. Hopefully I can now make some progress on the layout. I need to get the rest of the narrow gauge track laid and working, as there will be a loco for it arriving in a couple of days.

I need to fit buffers and couplings to the Peco open wagon , then I'll have the five I need to operate the inglenook properly. I've just discovered that the back to back is out on the Peco wagon too, as it bumps through the bit of O-MF(ish) bodged Peco point where the gauges go their separate ways. And I must glue the chimney back on the loco. It was lose when I bought it, and it's a pain having to keep propping it in place to stop it looking odd!

• Like 6

Its really satisfying when trains are running isnt it - it took me so long I'd almost forgotten!

That's where a micro comes in handy, something to play with operate whilst constructing your layout of a lifetime.

(Mind you, you may get hooked on micros, so beware.)

That's where a micro comes in handy, something to play with operate whilst constructing your layout of a lifetime.

(Mind you, you may get hooked on micros, so beware.)

True, but my micro-layout is still a little to large for indoors (ie not the garage) so I have been considering something even smaller for in the house - just to while away an hour or two with the Fowler or Terrier, maybe even an 08.

Sector plate fiddle leading to three sidings, (as in a 'nook).

(3-2-2 will only need about 3ft 6in x 1ft 3in)

That's huge! The standard gauge on my sector plate is 20 inches, to take an 0-6-0 tank and two wagons, the 3 wagon siding only needs to be about 18 inches (so 3ft 2in total, or 3ft with an 0-4-0), and Cheapside Yard is 12 inches wide and could be slightly narrower! 3ft 6in x 1ft 3in is a luxury version!!!

I started on the wiring last night, but it looks as though I need to get on with laying the rest of the narrow gauge track (and building the sector plate) too, as the postlady has just delivered this:

post-7091-0-77810100-1446031171.jpg

post-7091-0-24078600-1446031183.jpg

post-7091-0-81973900-1446031195.jpg

Apparently it's a Chivers Finelines Hunslet 4-6-0T that's been shortened, and fitted to an Electrotren chassis. So far it's just had a quick run up and down the fiddle yard, so I hope it can cope with my bodged up track! The traverser would be just long enough to take it with two Bachmann coaches, if it wasn't for the couplings, so I'll have to run one coach mixed trains. That's not a problem though, as the forthcoming narrow gauge layout will be big enough.

I don't think I'll bother with the Smokey Joe conversion now, and will just build or acquire a body for the Hornby 0-6-0 chassis. I'll probably sell Smokey Joe to help pay for this one.

• Like 7

A bit of surgery to the traverser, and I've created a bit more length:

post-7091-0-16721700-1446043639.jpg

But not quite enough!

post-7091-0-85619500-1446043650.jpg

I'll cut off part of the end and add some packing to provide a few extra millimetres, so I can run two coach trains. Not sure if I'm going to use the Kaydees, as I've bought some Greenwich Couplings to try, but the solution is the same whatever I use.