Farish Suburban Coaches

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

The soon-to-arrive blue Brake 2nd and 2nd are reviewed in the latest Hornby Mag; I'm pleased to see they have proper Eastern numbers (E43152 and E 46094) and that the weathering looks very subtle. No change to the original sprung rapido arrangement though, which leaves them far apart.  Now where's that blue '31'.............?

• 1 month later...

Just noticed them in stock and some slightly grainy photos on the Kernow site, but no one seems to have really mentioned them much. The weathering looked more subtle and better executed than I was imagining. Has anyone bought them and could post some higher resolution pictures?

Were they only used on Kings Cross suburban services behind cl.31's in this livery? When were they scrapped - mid 80s with the introduction of 317 units, or earlier?

At the back of my mind I have a vague plan for a Minories type terminus module, probably on a viaduct, inspired by Fenchurch Street, but representing GEML operations in the early 90s. I'm working on a Worsley Works refurbished class 309 EMU (posted a thread on resin casting the roofs a week or so ago) and have commissioned Allen to etch some class 302 sides. If I did build it, I'd go for a finescale approach (Finetrax\2mmFS concrete sleeper code 40 track). I might be prepared to stretch location and period enough to use these coaches though! 

I'd love class 312 and 315, as well as 321 EMUs, but I don't think vinyl would cut it with the other brass sided EMUs (not to say that Electra isn't a great product for most people). I have been toying with the idea of 3D printed/resin cast skeleton body shells for PEP and Mk3 EMUs together with half etched nickel silver body sides to glue over the sides, and stainless steel full etched window frame inserts with half etched panels around them to glue in behind the openings, to give the characteristic "aluminium" window frame and make painting easier (windows in afterward). 

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed them in stock and some slightly grainy photos on the Kernow site, but no one seems to have really mentioned them much. The weathering looked more subtle and better executed than I was imagining. Has anyone bought them and could post some higher resolution pictures?

Were they only used on Kings Cross suburban services behind cl.31's in this livery? When were they scrapped - mid 80s with the introduction of 317 units, or earlier?

Yes, only used in blue livery on the GN lines; mainly hauled by Class 31s but also occasionally by Class 23s (and, potentially, 47s).  Withdrawn when replaced by 312s and 313s, when the GN Electrics started in 1977.

• RMweb Premium

My blue set has just arrived. The weathering is just right for those who like it minimal (as I do for further enhancement) or to accept it as it is. The black roof is nicely matt and 'Kings Cross Suburban' is printed on the ends. I've fitted the inner ends with short sprung Rapidos (from Werner Eichhorn) to give an acceptable gap Just one query for those in the know--would the periscope on the brake have been removed by this time?

Archived