Unrebuilt West Country

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Its a brand new model though and i have run it twice lol.

Its a brand new model though and i have run it twice lol.

That makes not the slightest difference.The second rebuild BoB I purchased came with a gait reminiscent of Hopalong Cassidy.That was new.As Toboldlygo will tell you,I am unlucky.Gear problems are a Hornby speciality ......strangely all of my misfortunes in that area were SR. locos,the most recent being an M7 shortly after last Christmas which did a passable imitation of a coffee grinder.That too was new and was returned for replacement.

• RMweb Gold

That makes not the slightest difference.The second rebuild BoB I purchased came with a gait reminiscent of Hopalong Cassidy.That was new.As Toboldlygo will tell you,I am unlucky.Gear problems are a Hornby speciality ......strangely all of my misfortunes in that area were SR. locos,the most recent being an M7 shortly after last Christmas which did a passable imitation of a coffee grinder.That too was new and was returned for replacement.

Your just jinxed Ian ;)

Peter's Spares aren't showing any in stock at the moment, the part number you are looking for is X8849.

• RMweb Gold

Your just jinxed Ian ;)

Peter's Spares aren't showing any in stock at the moment, the part number you are looking for is X8849.

I know but I'm proof that lightning does strike not once but several times in the same place.No spares ? Hmmm.....maybe there's another epidemic of Hornby Gearbola Fever going the rounds and all of the serum(sorry,spares) is used up.The patient will survive but on crutches just a bit longer.Try Hornby direct ?

• RMweb Gold

I know but I'm proof that lightning does strike not once but several times in the same place.No spares ? Hmmm.....maybe there's another epidemic of Hornby Gearbola Fever going the rounds and all of the serum(sorry,spares) is used up.The patient will survive but on crutches just a bit longer.Try Hornby direct ?

That same gear set is used on a hell of a lot of loco's by the looks of it.

• RMweb Gold

Hillux

I appreciate that being in New Zealand makes this difficult but I sent back six Bulleid Pacifics with gear box problems to Horby via my local model shop and they were all repaired free of charge. They may have recently changed the way they want you to return items but it's worth contacting them. In my experience Hornby's repair service is excellent - all the locos were well out of guarantee.

Hope that helps

All the best

Godfrey

• Agree 1

• 4 years later...

Just looking at my lovely Blackmoor Vale in Bulleid Malachite livery, and noticed that the middle yellow strip was a little 'high' up on the deflector, but aligned perflectly on the body side. Further investigation of photos and the model suggests that the deflectors might come a tad too far down the side. Has this been raised before? I recall all the comments and reviews of this model when first released were generally positive with no clear dimensional errors noted.

Compare

17-006  Bulleid Light Pacific No.  21C123 'Blackmoor Vale' at Sheffield Park

With

21c123-blackmore-vale-2.jpg

This is the only Unrebuilt Light pacific thread I could fine in the Hornby forum., please advise if there is a 'general' thread for this model and I will move my post.

Edited by G-BOAF

37 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Just looking at my lovely Blackmoor Vale in Bulleid Malachite livery, and noticed that the middle yellow strip was a little 'high' up on the deflector, but aligned perflectly on the body side. Further investigation of photos and the model suggests that the deflectors might come a tad too far down the side. Has this been raised before? I recall all the comments and reviews of this model when first released were generally positive with no clear dimensional errors noted.

Compare

17-006  Bulleid Light Pacific No.  21C123 'Blackmoor Vale' at Sheffield Park

With

21c123-blackmore-vale-2.jpg

This is the only Unrebuilt Light pacific thread I could fine in the Hornby forum., please advise if there is a 'general' thread for this model and I will move my post.

From your photos, I'd say that the Hornby deflectors are a little too deep.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

The smoke deflectors across the class in SR days actually varied slightly in shape with respect to the bottom horizontal outward curve staring position relative to the horizontal rivet fixing line position. (the same applies to the sanding hatch cover vertical positions, these even varied between locos as to which way they slide to open!) 
Hornby have a single consistent deflector shape and position and therefore potentially will differ slightly. 
Those currently fitted to Blackmoor Vale were fabricated in preservation as they have reverted to the short type (despite the cab being the later modified style) so are not original either. 
At the time the deflectors we changed from short to standard length the modification was often carried out in shed rather than at a works visit with a kit of parts for the extension being sent to the sheds and they fitted and fabricated it to suit. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Informative/Useful 5

I believe that there are a few things that were not changed when Blackmore Vale was rebuilt to a more "original" form, as Blackmoor Vale.

I remember the special "return to service" weekend in 1976, during the heatwave...and the lineside fires...;)

https://www.bulleidsociety.org/21C123/21C123_Preservation.html

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/blackmorevl.html

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:SR_West_Country_class_21C123_Blackmore_Vale

Edited by Sarahagain
more added
  • Agree 1