LMS G7S Boiler

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know the size of the G7S boiler as fitted to the 4F and 2P classes?

I am planning a 4F and wondered if the boiler could be used with other loco classes.

Thane of Fife

There were 3 class 3 goods with the G7S bolier, railway rumour has it that these 3 locos were better than the 4Fs. The class 3 passenger tank (Flatiron) had the G7S boiler after rebuilding. They are the only other classes fitted with this boiler.

The Class 3 goods and a host of various Deeley/Fowler class 2 passenger 4-4-0 rebuilds had the saturated G7 boiler. Dimension wise the G7 was the same as the G7S. A class 2 saturated 4-4-0 would be different, various wheel diameters and wheelbases to choose from.   

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have noticed that the Austin Seven boiler was G7 3/4 S. Does this mean it was the same as the 4F boiler, but lnoger?

Thane of Fife

Not quite. The 7 3/4 was 3 inches bigger in diameter and 4ft longer between tubeplates.

Bear in mind that the sizes given by bike2steam above are of the naked boiler. Cladding will add extra diameter.

Bear in mind that the sizes given by bike2steam above are of the naked boiler. Cladding will add extra diameter.

Apologies, yes Chris you're right,I forgot to mention that, so add about 5 - 6" ( 2mm -ish)on the diameter for cladding.

Edited by bike2steam

• 4 years later...
On 19/07/2015 at 13:55, bike2steam said:

4F & 2P = 4'8" x 10'5 & 15/16", yep both the same, and the fireboxes.

I assume that’s 4’8” diameter and 10’5” long. What’s the 15/16”, the thickness of the steel? 

Also i assume the length is not including firebox?

• 2 years later...
On 19/07/2015 at 13:55, bike2steam said:

4F & 2P = 4'8" x 10'5 & 15/16", yep both the same, and the fireboxes.

On 30/08/2019 at 12:31, Talltim said:

I assume that’s 4’8” diameter and 10’5” long. What’s the 15/16”, the thickness of the steel? 

Also I assume the length is not including firebox?

10''5 & 15/16" means 1/16th of an inch short of 10ft 6in. the firebox adds another nominally 7ft, that's where the '7' in 'G7' comes from.

That is what I would expect, Mike, but it also depends on the source of the information. Some people quote "over cladding" figures, from outline or model drawings. As the OP was about planning a 4F, I expect it is the overall cladding dimension that is relevant.