Whats your modern tipple EMD or GE?

TTDB

Looking at several youtube videos on modern motive power with reference to looking as to what sound decoders to buy, I cant decide what sounds the best, but this video brings real noise, Im shocked how loud such modern locos can be compared to our european stuff that sounds no more than a hot drinks vending machine,,

I've never been the audiophile type of rail fan, but it is true that American locomotives are very loud. I live about a mile from the tracks and when it's quite at night and the windows are open I can hears engines idling that the station clearly from my bedroom.

Give me classic EMD's any day:

Turn it up loud and feel the bass :D

Edit - After the head end has gone by, skip to 6:30 for the helpers.

Only some 32000+ HP on that one. A couple of GE interlopers in there.

Looks like:

SD40-2

SD40-2

SD70M-2

ES40DC

SD40-2R (SD40 carbody)

SD70M-2

C40-9

SW1500?

----

SD40-2

SD40-2

Adrian

Modern American locos don't really do a lot for me sound wise, but I haven't seen many whilst over there.

To be honest if its noise I'm after then it has to be Maybachs (didn't GE build a few hydraulics with those?) or the Evil Empire, from the days before silencers...

Was on a bike ride last night and caught an NS eastbound grain train leaving East Wayne yard in New Haven, IN.  I was less than 20' from the tracks sitting on the platform of the restored station.  Train had a mix of GE's.  I think it was C40-9W, C40-W (ex-Conrail), and another GE, either a C40-9W or an ES44.  It was earth-shaking, deafeningly loud.  This was a pretty heavy train that had just started from the yard a half mile from where it passed me and the engineer was getting the train up to speed.  When NS engineers get a green signal around here, get out of the way.  There is a world of difference in how loud modern US diesels when they are cruising at track speed on the flat ground around the midwest compared to going from zero to 50 or 60 in a mile or three.  I have no idea how you can recreate my experience last evening with a tiny speaker in an HO locomotive.  

Jason C

Indiana

And believe it or not, they're quieter than they used to be...old GEs and Alcos barked and snorted to beat hell.  They were great :)

And no doubt your H&S people would positively blanche at the air horns at level crossings!

• RMweb Gold

Nahh, you want to go to northern New Jersey - specifically Morristown - and seek out the Morristown & Erie's pair of Alco C424s in revenue freight action.

Now THAT'S a decent noise. Alco 251s and clag.

By the way.  For those of us who are Americans and don't speak "English", what the heck does the title of this thread mean?

A tipple in the US is a structure that loads coal, ore or rock into railcars, trucks or ships.

Got to admit i've been tempted to model that pair of tunnel motors (they now work for Wheeling & Lake Erie) - very cool survivors!

Imtermountain bringing some nice tunnel motors out end of the year........

Imtermountain bringing some nice tunnel motors out end of the year........

At least it is just a confusion and not as embarrassing as an Englishman walking into an office store and asking for an eraser, but using the usual vernacular word for it over here... (Rubber.)

There's the difference between "corrective" and "preventive".  You can really confuse people when you ask for a pencil with one on the end.

And we had perhaps better not explore the difference in the slang meaning of the name of a lady associated with gaslight.

We had a woman retire after about 40 years of service on the railroad and at the retirement party speech her boss recounted that when she started she was one of the best call girls and strippers they had.

A call girl (or call boy) was the clerk that went to the hotels and notified the crews that they were "called" for duty on a train and a stripper was the clerk who stripped the multipart computer reports/forms, removing the tractor feed strips and carbon sheets, separating the different copies of the forms for distribution to the different offices/files.

We had a woman retire after about 40 years of service on the railroad and at the retirement party speech her boss recounted that when she started she was one of the best call girls and strippers they had.

A call girl (or call boy) was the clerk that went to the hotels and notified the crews that they were "called" for duty on a train and a stripper was the clerk who stripped the multipart computer reports/forms, removing the tractor feed strips and carbon sheets, separating the different copies of the forms for distribution to the different offices/files.

So she was in some ways a "knocker up".

At least it is just a confusion and not as embarrassing as an Englishman walking into an office store and asking for an eraser, but using the usual vernacular word for it over here... (Rubber.)

When we first moved to the US we got a call from my Daughters school she had asked for a rubber (eraser) .LOL

• 2 weeks later...

The relative 'loudness' of US locos must be due to the hefty silencing that's required in Europe.

The UK Class 66 has the same prime mover as an SD60, albeit a 12 cylinder 3300 hp version as opposed to a 16 cylinder 3800 hp version of the EMD 710 engine. But the 66 has that massive silencer crammed into the body above the engine.

Archived