LED Wall Light

Julia

The station building kit that I bought comes with a plastic moulded lamp that fits in on the front of the station. (Yellow item above the station name sign in this picture). 

28087_b.jpg

I would like to replace this item with a working LED base light. My googling of the various HO, OO, & N scale lamps out there, I can't find anything that is about the right size, and LED based. 

Does anyone know of anything suitable ? The plastic part is 4.4mm across for the "reflector" with about 1.3mm diameter for the "bulb".

Cheers

J

You can get through hole LEDs as small as 1.8mm

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Miniature-1-8mm-High-Power-LEDs-73568

The problem is that it is only the domed part that is that diam. the other part of the body is about 3mm wide to accommodate the standard leg spacing of 2.5mm. Wether you could fit that into the shade is doubtful. You might be better mounting the LED within the structure and using a light pipe or a length of fibre optic cable to take the light out though the shade. Even there you may have issues as there are usually minimum bends to consider.

Richard

I refrained from mentioning SMD LEDs which are hard enough to solder onto a PCB let alone attach flying leads to. Even Richard Johnson mentions the high loss rate in production, hence the premium price. These are probably your answer Julia.

Richard

Archived