vallejo crimson lake match

Hi:

Having recently discovered Vallejo acryliccs I was wondering if anyone has come across a match for LMS crimson lake? Or indeed any other railway colour matches for acrylics in general?

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

I use Vallejo Flat Earth for LNER Coach Brown, Dark Fleshtone for Bauxite and Medium Sea Grey for LNER/LMS wagon grey - I was pointed in the direction of the first two by Wordsell Forever of this parish.

If you find a match for Crimson Lake I will be very interested as I find them excellent to spray - I use Tamiya acrylic thinners to thin them for spraying. That said Humbrol do Crimson Lake in the Railway acrylic range. I have a pot but I haven't tried spraying it yet.

Hi Rob:

Thanks for the colours, I'm going to have to start a list! I was interested in using Vallejo because I too have found them excellent to spray. Also it seems more easy to get acrylics through the postal system.I did find an old, and still viable pot of Precision Crimson Lake enamel in my paint pot pile yesterday so I'll have something to match against any Vallejo colours I can get hold of. I'll let you know the results.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This could be a difficult list to build, given that even the model makers themselves can't agree as to what the correct colour is, even within their own ranges there are often quite large differences, not naming any maker though.  I also suspect even with the real thing shades changed between batches of paint and over the years as formulations changed.

In most cases its a case of if look right it probably is. just pick something close, if its slightly different then its probably just like the real thing were two fresh out the paintshop locos will look different because either the base oxide paint were of different batches or were thinned slightly different ot he top paint colour with applied slightly different by two different painters, even the number of coats of paint affects the final depth of the colour. brush painting v sparay painting will also give a different hue to the colour.

Like I said a difficult list to build.

NGM

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...

Just want to have a bit of a gripe about Vallejo Model Color paint.  It's hard to get/match british railway colours in the US.  I am hand painting a GWR coach in simplified chocolate and cream.  Cream is not featured in the Vallejo or Testors ranges but I discovered that the Humbrol acrylic rail colours are available to order from the US Humbrol web page....I ordered BR Cream and Pullman Umber thinking it might do for chocolate, but no, much too dark!  However Vallejo Model Color Chocolate Brown is just about right.  The cream brushed beautifully but the chocolate is horrible and seems much too thick, strangely it is not available in Model Air.  Has anyone else found this?