Interesting train at Aberdeen

Hi all,

As I went past Aberdeen station at about 7pm tonight (21/7/15), I saw an HST power car, ex-Mk 1 coach with windows sheeted over and a red class 67 coupled together in one of the platform roads.   Any idea what the working was all about?   There's nothing obvious on realtimetrains. 

Many thanks,

Bill

Why did 43307 need a Class 67 to take it north? Was it to swap the power car at the 'south' end so if there wasn't anywhere to turn it at the Aberdeen end it couldn't be driven 'north' presumably from Craigentinny?

Was 43238 fixed at Aberdeen?

Why did 43307 need a Class 67 to take it north?

Was it to swap the power car at the 'south' end so if there wasn't anywhere to turn it at the Aberdeen end it couldn't be driven 'north' presumably from Craigentinny?

Was 43238 fixed at Aberdeen?

The south end power car required to be replaced (pointing south) so no need to swap the failed power car

It was removed leaving the TF at the south end

The replacement power car could have made its own way to Aberdeen and then turned, but that still leaves the issue of the failed power car

The Class 67 hauled the required power car to Aberdeen

The power car then attached to the south end, taking the train south as normal

43238 then swapped over hauling the Class 67, back to Craigentinny

In the event of complete failure the Class 67 would then have removed the consist to a suitable location

The repair could have been carried out at Aberdeen, but this would have blocked the depot for at least 12 hours

Equally, the repair could have been carried out at Inverness, but this would then leave the repaired power car stranded in Inverness

• RMweb Gold

That was from 1E11 which failed at Montrose southbound last Friday morning. The 67 eventually rescued it, but not before it was initially shunted from Platform 1 to Platform 2, to allow single line working (Platform 1 is bi-directional). 

Replacing a primary suspension spring is a day in the jacks. It sits on top of the bogie and goes up into the bodyshell.

A secondary spring is a more work, since you would need to drop the wheelset out.

Wrong way round. The primary springs are between axle box and bogie frame. The secondary between bogie frame and body.

• RMweb Premium

It had to be dragged by the 67 so it was facing the right direction as there is no way to turn it at Aberdeen 

Well there's still a turntable there (still there on Google aerial views at any rate), and it still looks to be connected. If you ignore the bushes that were encroaching in that picture and are probably now growing through the track. And that the turntable might fall to bits if you put anything on it, and even if it didn't probably wouldn't actually turn.

Well there's still a turntable there (still there on Google aerial views at any rate), and it still looks to be connected. If you ignore the bushes that were encroaching in that picture and are probably now growing through the track. And that the turntable might fall to bits if you put anything on it, and even if it didn't probably wouldn't actually turn.

The turntable is unserviceable and has been for some years, with the decking rotten and the approach line almost totally obscured by vegetation. Whilst the turntable siding is still technically connected and signalled, I think it may have been partially lifted nearer the table itself, although replacing a rail length or two shouldn't be an enormous job.

The Ferryhill Heritage Trust has (I believe) agreed a lease on the turntable with NR as of last year, and refurbishment should be underway soon. It should complement the original CR running shed nicely (still extant on site), especially once it has had rails relaid within. I believe John Cameron is keen to see the site rejuvenated as a heritage centre with the capacity for servicing steam locos, plus having a functional turntable in Aberdeen again could well prove useful as the only other options to turn a loco or stock involve going all the way to Inverness or Thornton triangle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I heard about the PC move, tried to catch it but couldn't find anything on Realtime Trains either, and missed it.  Good to know what went on, even if I did miss the chance of a pic of the PC leading the 67 south!

Thanks guys!

Archived