KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Premium

They'll still be collectable - no doubt when the time comes they will be sold at a profit.

I daresay they'd be even more collectable (perish the thought of being illicitly removable) if they carried big bold names such as "Western Hopwood" or "Terrible Warship Class" ;)

[HMS Terrible is the most recent completed ship of the Royal Navy I can find to not have already had a locomotive named after her; she was sold to the Aussie Navy and became HMAS Sydney]

• RMweb Gold

I daresay they'd be even more collectable (perish the thought of being illicitly removable) if they carried big bold names such as "Western Hopwood" or "Terrible Warship Class" ;)

[HMS Terrible is the most recent completed ship of the Royal Navy I can find to not have already had a locomotive named after her; she was sold to the Aussie Navy and became HMAS Sydney]

Many, many more than HMS Terrible Rick.  Since Terrible was launched in 1944 and counting only post war construction of what has more recently been classed as 'major surface units' (i.e frigate/destroyer size upwards) a number of diesels have gained names of more recently built ships

The Class 50s have scored the most  with 5 bearing names which were carried by postwar built ships to which can be added several more names (at least 5) which were carried by post war commissioned aircraft carriers which were commissioned prior to the names being carried on Class 50s.

The original WR Swindon and North British 'Warship' classes were more remarkable for not carrying names of post-war launched ships - the only ones which were carried were

Ark Royal  ship launched 1950

Daring  ship launched 1952

Druid   ship launched 1952 as Diana, renamed on slipway during building

Tiger   ship launched 1945, renamed on slipway from Bellerophon

Triumph, ship launched November 1944

Majestic  ship launched 1945, later (1955) became HMAS Melbourne

So from a quick scan I think HMS Daring was probably the newest in terms of launching date although HMS Ark Royal was newer in terms of commissioning date as she commissioned in 1955, 3 years later than HMS Daring while HMS Tiger didn't commission until 1959, approximately 2 years before the loco carrying the name reportedly entered traffic. So on the WR originals Tiger was by far and away the most recent (although I haven't checked submarines)

Very nice images Craig!

Seeing all those FGW units and HSTs in the smarter Dynamic Lines livery stand out from all different shades of the Cornish Countryside in all the pictures that you have posted over the years, really does to me emphasise how much I'll miss that livery!

Unfortunately I missed the Green HST this morning, but the weather was too good to do nothing, even though the only thing on offer was a shot of a DMU on the way home from the office. So here's the 1557 Plymouth - Penzance stopper heading west between the site of Chacewater station and the junction with the former line to Perranporth and Newquay.

post-694-0-36723300-1443556536_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Jez, thanks for the link to Craig's Flickr image - brilliant work as ever Craig and I have to say that I find the livery quite classy when compared to most of the recent colour schemes we've seen! Not sure how it will look when weathered however. Anyway, what does an old steam fan know?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Yesterday, Tuesday 6th, a 'First' Sleeper coach was on it's way from PZ on the A30 at Crowlas to 'X' on a low loader.

Does anybody know why, rather than say by rail.
No, I didn't get the coach number as I was in traffic on a bend, avoiding cyclist when it came into view.  

A relaxed look at the coach to see the number was not an option.

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday, Tuesday 6th, a 'First' Sleeper coach was on it's way from PZ on the A30 at Crowlas to 'X' on a low loader.

Does anybody know why, rather than say by rail.

No, I didn't get the coach number as I was in traffic on a bend, avoiding cyclist when it came into view.  

A relaxed look at the coach to see the number was not an option.

My first guess would be a wheel set problem preventing rail movement and as far as I know, Longrock depot is not kitted out to lift coaches for wheel set or bogie replacement.

• RMweb Premium

This was TSOD 12100 with a bogie problem. Don't know if it's off to Plymouth, Bristol, old Oak, Derby or Kilmarnock.... !!

Laira, apparently, due to very tired and worn out axle bearings.  Well it has been on permanent nights for some years!

Bane of some people's lives that coach.  It's the one which has allegedly given rise to numerous failures.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, just seemed strange to see a nice looking coach going by road.... 

Back in the early days of railways the gentry travelled no other way.  Their nice-looking coaches were loaded onto flat wagons for rail transport - passengers and all.  Who says Motorail is a modern concept?

• Like 1

Late afternoon sun at Golant in Oct 2015

post-2613-0-65700600-1444322043_thumb.jpeg

66061 / 138 ready for action at BZ

post-2613-0-10457400-1444322056_thumb.jpeg

5Z40 Long Rock to Laira sweeps Eastward by the recently harvested fields at Grampound. Thanks to the farmer for allowing me a visit. 

Note how the green GWR livery is lost against the green hedge behind the train. An all green train would practically vanish here, thankfully the stubble in the fields and rusty leaves still have an Autumn look to them. 57602 leads 57303 - a livery combination that wont be around for ever. 

post-2613-0-07234200-1444322080_thumb.jpeg

66138 heads back to BZ at Par

post-2613-0-88524800-1444322244.jpeg

• Like 14