KERNOW TODAY

So its basically just a signalling enhancement (to split the long sections up) rather than a resignalling so we can still look at our 'wonky' signals for a few years yet, brilliant, thanks for the info.

So its basically just a signalling enhancement (to split the long sections up) rather than a resignalling so we can still look at our 'wonky' signals for a few years yet, brilliant, thanks for the info.

Yes, it's a 'temporary' enhancement while they get the funding for the full job to put it into TVSC, but none of us are such how long temporary actually, it'll be a few years I should think.

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think it would be fair to expect some semaphore signals to be replaced by colour light signals in the same locations, in one or two places (depending on what Simon's remit is), but all controlled from the same signalbox.

The original scheme was always based on the desire by Cornwall Council to see a regular, half-hourly service between Penzance and Plymouth and vice versa, and they came up with a considerable sum of money to contribute towards the improved infrastructure, which NR then (in my personal view, as a then-employee) seemed to run away with, to support their dogmatic mantra of putting all control in these ROCs. Once the GWML scheme started to slip, many of us had our doubts about the timing of the Plymouth to Cornwall scheme, which were eventually proven correct (despite a number of flat denials from the NR project team, even when faced with clear evidence to the contrary from other senior people within NR!).

The whole Cornwall enhanced service could always have been delivered by the installation of some additional signal sections, controlled from the existing boxes. After virtually two years of the top management in Western Route pushing the re-signalling project as hard as they could, and despite some disasterous and unprofessionally run meetings with external stakeholders, we have come back to the same thing. This has been much to the relief of the signalling and local S&T staff in Plymouth and Cornwall, but not before many of these hard-working railwaymen were put through months of uncertainty.

Whether the full resignalling to Didcot will come in CP6 (as I understand the current 'top brass' are still insisting) is anyone's guess, really.

What is not in doubt, of course, is that designers like Simon are working very hard to produce the plans that their superiors are demanding, and I have every confidence in the quality of the work that Simon and his colleagues will be producing.

I am astounded, however, by his suggestion that a new signalbox may be required, though - where might this be situated, Simon?

• Like 2

I think it would be fair to expect some semaphore signals to be replaced by colour light signals in the same locations, in one or two places (depending on what Simon's remit is), but all controlled from the same signalbox.

The original scheme was always based on the desire by Cornwall Council to see a regular, half-hourly service between Penzance and Plymouth and vice versa, and they came up with a considerable sum of money to contribute towards the improved infrastructure, which NR then (in my personal view, as a then-employee) seemed to run away with, to support their dogmatic mantra of putting all control in these ROCs. Once the GWML scheme started to slip, many of us had our doubts about the timing of the Plymouth to Cornwall scheme, which were eventually proven correct (despite a number of flat denials from the NR project team, even when faced with clear evidence to the contrary from other senior people within NR!).

The whole Cornwall enhanced service could always have been delivered by the installation of some additional signal sections, controlled from the existing boxes. After virtually two years of the top management in Western Route pushing the re-signalling project as hard as they could, and despite some disasterous and unprofessionally run meetings with external stakeholders, we have come back to the same thing. This has been much to the relief of the signalling and local S&T staff in Plymouth and Cornwall, but not before many of these hard-working railwaymen were put through months of uncertainty.

Whether the full resignalling to Didcot will come in CP6 (as I understand the current 'top brass' are still insisting) is anyone's guess, really.

What is not in doubt, of course, is that designers like Simon are working very hard to produce the plans that their superiors are demanding, and I have every confidence in the quality of the work that Simon and his colleagues will be producing.

I am astounded, however, by his suggestion that a new signalbox may be required, though - where might this be situated, Simon?

You'll be pleased to know that no Semaphore signals are to be replaced as part of the initial work, it's just adding in some intermediate block signals. I have kind of mislead you with talk of a new signal box, it would only be a portacabin type structure around Roskear, although it was only proposed if the controls for the new additional signals to be controlled by Roskear couldn't be fitted in the existing box, although a survey has shown they there should be plenty of space, so it is very unlikely to happen.

I can't comment on the full details of the next phase of work as mostly I have not been involved with the project from the start, as Captain K knows, but work has begun on the next phase, although currently it is more of just getting base plans together (as part of that I can see why nobody has tried to draw the Looe branch on one piece of paper before as I'm trying to do!).

I do feel kind of privileged to be one of the 3 designers working on this project and in fact being responsible for half the scheme plans, although I should point out that there are 7 of us on the project team in the design office all of which are working hard to get the project through approval.

Simon

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

talk of a new signal box, it would only be a portacabin type structure around Roskear

Oh ger-nuts.  I was hoping it might be at Largin ;)

SLEP 10616 has this week returned to us repainted in green. This leaves just 10589 and off this week to be painted, 10584 as the only blue SLEPs left. Day coach wise,​ only the not to be painted RFMB 10232 and the 2 TSODs are left in blue.  Time to get your shots in whilst you can..... .

Reading the article in Modern Railways Cornwall is to get a reasonable service Plymouth to Penzance hope that the rolling stock is as good ,also a photo of the new sleeper compartment .Not as ground breaking as the Scottish units but still an improvement and should attract more passengers to the service add this to the extended Long Rock and the future is good.

• Like 1

Some from a recent trip down the Looe branch, in which the newly refurbished 150247 in GWR green was working the line.

I took the 1126 Liskeard to Looe, then the return service as far as St Keyne, walking down the valley to Terras Crossing and back up to Sandplace before catching the 1630 from Sandplace to Looe. I stayed in Looe for an hour and a half on the lovely sunny afternoon, before catching the 1815 back to Liskeard.

28451095092_e7db531b8f_c.jpg

Liskeard

28451090332_bd4165bca9_c.jpg

Looe

28488868091_14e7310e37_c.jpg

St Keyne

28283810190_9e80c77b83_c.jpg

28461469912_fa8c03d77c_c.jpg]

Landlooe Bridge

28461458852_30dc4da390_c.jpg

Causeland

27953961483_8324efc4dc_c.jpg

Plashford bridge

28491363361_7e1339c602_c.jpg

28539021626_beea96ea77_c.jpg

Terras Crossing

28288259200_cfca90ec8e_c.jpg

The return service at Terras Crossing

28474140532_080e54a507_c.jpg

Sandplace

27965058993_bdb829da9a_c.jpg

Looe

28591750265_a5e331fc0e_c.jpg

Back at Liskeard

• Like 16

Continued from the previous post, some shots of various trains working the mainline services at Liskeard.

28307549140_bf5621fd32_c.jpg

28591746865_827c465d25_c.jpg

28514646861_0e995e0837_c.jpg

43172 Harry Patch working 1457 London Paddington to Penzance (43174 on the rear)

28592935955_aa97534272_c.jpg

28308692190_53a2a42490_c.jpg

28515339971_b0435d5c09_c.jpg

43161 & 43139 working 1731 Penzance to London Paddington.

28486782812_f8a9d42c39_c.jpg

153369 & 153325 departing with 1750 Penzance to Plymouth.

27976682124_34f79ab11c_c.jpg

221130 with 1008 Edinburgh to Penzance.

28309391900_bc146c8fec_c.jpg

And at Truro.

• Like 13

Thanks for posting a lovely set of photographs.

Here's the same unit in Exeter St.Davids on the 19th of this month

post-20303-0-79340800-1469747195_thumb.jpeg

It made a pleasant change riding on a bright clean unit for a change :)

• Like 8

Some from a recent trip down the Looe branch, in which the newly refurbished 150247 in GWR green was working the line.

I took the 1126 Liskeard to Looe, then the return service as far as St Keyne, walking down the valley to Terras Crossing and back up to Sandplace before catching the 1630 from Sandplace to Looe. I stayed in Looe for an hour and a half on the lovely sunny afternoon, before catching the 1815 back to Liskeard.

28451095092_e7db531b8f_c.jpg

Liskeard

28451090332_bd4165bca9_c.jpg

Looe

28488868091_14e7310e37_c.jpg

St Keyne

28283810190_9e80c77b83_c.jpg

28461469912_fa8c03d77c_c.jpg]

Landlooe Bridge

28461458852_30dc4da390_c.jpg

Causeland

27953961483_8324efc4dc_c.jpg

Plashford bridge

28491363361_7e1339c602_c.jpg

28539021626_beea96ea77_c.jpg

Terras Crossing

28288259200_cfca90ec8e_c.jpg

The return service at Terras Crossing

28474140532_080e54a507_c.jpg

Sandplace

27965058993_bdb829da9a_c.jpg

Looe

28591750265_a5e331fc0e_c.jpg

Back at Liskeard

I'm afraid to say that I hate the Looe branch with a passion!

I say that because for the past month I've been drawing the branch line on CAD without a Omnicom survey, and when all signalling plans are straight lines, the Looe branch being one big curve, means that it is quite hard to do, particularly as the branch has three seperate line reference and two sets of mileposts.

It is a lovely line to ride on, but for a CAD Monkey such as myself, its a complete pain!

Simon 

• Like 3

A lovely set of shots. Just for the record, 58017 and 008 were on the Northern Belle to PZ saturday, catching me by suprise as i watched it go by from within Long Rock yard...... .

All the Modern Railway "news" has been posted on here, some of it some 3 years back...... !

A lovely set of shots. Just for the record, 58017 and 008 were on the Northern Belle to PZ saturday, catching me by suprise as i watched it go by from within Long Rock yard...... .

All the Modern Railway "news" has been posted on here, some of it some 3 years back...... !

When did they come back from Spain?

Or did you mean 68017 and 68008?

I keep doing that with units so I know how easy it is.

• RMweb Gold

I say that because for the past month I've been drawing the branch line on CAD without a Omnicom survey, and when all signalling plans are straight lines, the Looe branch being one big curve, means that it is quite hard to do, particularly as the branch has three seperate line reference and two sets of mileposts.

It is a lovely line to ride on, but for a CAD Monkey such as myself, its a complete pain!

Simon 

But it's the 'non-standardness' of places like this that give them their charm, and in my view, always worth the extra effort from a professional point of view. Best of luck with your drawings!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Simon 

I don't know, excuses, excuses!

Joking aside, that sounds like a pain - good luck!

Kind regards,

Nick

Or did you mean 68017 and 68008?

Hah. Touchscreen rubbish ! 68 ! Sounded nice even if just leading one in power.

Edited by Co-tr-Paul

Or did you mean 68017 and 68008?

Hah. Touchscreen rubbish ! 68 ! Sounded nice even if just leading one in power.

The 68s do sound 'proper' (for modern rubbish)!

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

I see the sleeper stock has been

stabled at Laira the last couple of days,

Presumably this is because of the problems

with the fire at St. Erth?

• RMweb Premium

I see the sleeper stock has been

stabled at Laira the last couple of days,

Presumably this is because of the problems

with the fire at St. Erth?

I suspect so, there was a flare up again last night that closed the line again. There was still a lot of smoke pouring out of the site of the fire when I when past about 2pm today. 

Sunday nights down saw 604 down to PZ. It then got stranded along with an HST due to the fire. The up was operarted from Truro by OC49 035/128 . the Monday down with 605 was stopped at Plymouth/serviced at LA.It then went ecs to Padd for the tues down. 604 managed to run for tues night up before the line was closed again.wed down saw 605 again stop at ply. the line reopened in time for it to run ecs to PZ for wed up and hopefully, all is now normal regarding the slep. As stock has now been swapped, for maintainence reasons there may be ecs runs on sunday to get them back on correct turns.

Whilst " transferred " to LA for the day, I noticed the Colas 70 damaged a while back was still on depot...... .

Edited by Co-tr-Paul

• RMweb Premium

Sunday nights down saw 604 down to PZ. It then got stranded along with an HST due to the fire. The up was operarted from Truro by OC49 035/128 . the Monday down with 605 was stopped at Plymouth/serviced at LA.It then went ecs to Padd for the tues down. 604 managed to run for tues night up before the line was closed again.wed down saw 605 again stop at ply. the line reopened in time for it to run ecs to PZ for wed up and hopefully, all is now normal regarding the slep. As stock has now been swapped, for maintainence reasons there may be ecs runs on sunday to get them back on correct turns.

Whilst " transferred " to LA for the day, I noticed the Colas 70 damaged a while back was still on depot...... .

Thanks for the update Paul.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect so, there was a flare up again last night that closed the line again. There was still a lot of smoke pouring out of the site of the fire when I when past about 2pm today. 

That site and the successive tenants were always a pain in the arsse when I was working. The presence of Western Growers crossing, effectively an unsupervised private crossing, required the imposition of a speed restriction that otherwise wasn't necessary, once the driver was in possession of the train staff for the majority of the day. Under such circumstances, the train could accelerate to the maximum permitted line speed from the platform, and a few seconds could be saved on each trip, which do mount up over the period of a day, and by the evening, could make the difference between making a main line connection, or missing it.

There has been a lot of misuse of that crossing over the years, and the preferred solution was to put a new access road to the site in, from the main road, and close it, or even close the whole site down altogether, but someone somewhere always found a reason to object to the common sense approach.