KERNOW TODAY

Now, I like stop boards; but I also..

I am led to believe it was only a temp arraingment anyway. A new walkway and train access steps have been installed ready for use at Old Bank soon

Nothing to report on Riviera repaints or refurb. All on hold whilst quality is sorted as per previous postings.

• RMweb Premium

With all the recent works going on at Gwinear Rd level crossing west of Camborne I thought I'd share these with you. A real blast from the past!

Happened to go over the crossing when I was down there about a month ago. There was a guy in the down four foot with his theodolite facing Penzance. Don't doubt he knew what he was up to but I still though "Sooner him than me!"

• RMweb Premium

Happened to go over the crossing when I was down there about a month ago. There was a guy in the down four foot with his theodolite facing Penzance. Don't doubt he knew what he was up to but I still though "Sooner him than me!"

Don't tell me they're actually making it a level crossing? :O  It's always been one of the bumpiest for road users because of the cant on the curved tracks.

Don't tell me they're actually making it a level crossing? :O  It's always been one of the bumpiest for road users because of the cant on the curved tracks.

There is no need for half the cant now there is a permanent temporary restriction over it so maybe they are removing some of the cant and making the restriction permanent and so making it better for the road users?

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

There is no need for half the cant now there is a permanent temporary restriction over it so maybe they are removing some of the cant and making the restriction permanent and so making it better for the road users?

I hope they're not going to make the temporary speed restriction into a permanent one. That would be a very retrograde step in my view, and one that sends out all the wrong signals.

I hope they're not going to make the temporary speed restriction into a permanent one. That would be a very retrograde step in my view, and one that sends out all the wrong signals.

I do agree with you but it has been there for that long it is basically a permanent one anyway.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

At one point we ("we" being my former employer, whose local management were sounding out very specific local knowledge) were considering routing a bus via the old station because of issues sometimes encountered on the former Helston branch bridge between Carnhell Green and Baripper.  That is an old-style brick arch which gave cause for concern that the then-new low-floor buses might ground out.  We looked at diverting them towards Horsepool and the nold A30 to Camborne instead but several of us flagged the bumpy ride over Gwinear Road LC as every bit as much a grounding risk as the bridge.  The crossing actually has "Risk of grounding" warning signs on the approaches; the bridge does not.

Short version: we tried taking a bus over the crossing - just once - but after gingerly testing the old bridge and finding that offered more clearance the route remained unchanged.  

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Interesting, do we know what work is being carried out?

Simon

Its basically a drainage scheme involving digging the road up way down each side of the track. Its to stop all the run off water and muck from the road contaminating the ballast and causing the repeated wet beds and associated poor top.  I understand that a large drainage pool is also being created to allow the water a place to go and drain away naturally .

Ive not seen it myself yet since it started a couple of months ago but its a fair sized job by all accounts.

Edited by Gary H

Its basically a drainage scheme involving digging the road up way down each side of the track. Its to stop all the run off water and muck from the road contaminating the ballast and causing the repeated wet beds and associated poor top. I understand that a large drainage pool is also being created to allow the water a place to go and drain away naturally .

Ive not seen it myself yet since it started a couple of months ago but its a fair sized job by all accounts.

Are they realigning the road at all?

I know there have been other threads on here about the Moorswater cement trains in the past but I'm surprised to see no mention of trains last week on here.

There are plenty of pictures on Flickr

[/url]Moorswater or Bust by Eddie Holden, on Flickr">http://31339811395_7d03733238_b.jpgMoorswater or Bust by Eddie Holden, on Flickr 

I just wish I could get my head around the Realtime trains site to figure out when the next train is running,

The Cornwall Railway Society did show this http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H39070/2016/11/30/advanced for last weeks train but I'm not sure how to raise a schedule for the complete listing of place/times on the Realtimes site, any pointers or info would be gratefully received.

Looking at the Realtimes trains site today it appears to show a train to Moorswater today and tomorrow arriving at 13.19. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/COOMLAR/2016/12/07/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 8

A few of my favourites from a walk along the Penzance - Marazion section of coast path taken last Sunday (11th).

30737670484_7d353971e8_c.jpg

57605, 43071, 43146 & 220028 lined up at Longrock depot.

31463009881_6790f6bfe0_c.jpg

Close up of 220028

31464740321_321972e0bc_c.jpg

43125 passing 43127.

31468346141_4dbb9bed60_c.jpg

150102, 153380 & 153382 passing Ponsandane.

31546769996_3e2b00e346_c.jpg

08410 in Slopers Siding just outside Penzance station.

30783263863_4e3f8b2b01_c.jpg

153361 & 153368 heading for St Ives.

30797039283_08f530a1ff_c.jpg

43125 arrives at the station from Longrock depot.

31628057205_47eaacf8da_c.jpg

43134 at Marazion.

31636408885_67600bb629_c.jpg

150128 & 150123 at Longrock.

• Like 14

Great photo of the new Moorswater cement trains. A class 70 dragging 20+ loaded cement wagons up the hill from Moorswater to Liskeard must make some noise!

I've made sure I'm passing the station on my way to and from meetings when it's passed through Plymouth last couple of weeks.

Regards the timings - there are several paths on RTT, but so far it seems to have run down empty early on Wednesday and returns loaded on Thursday mid-morning. It runs through Liskeard to Lostwithiel loop to run-round then goes back through Liskeard and down to Moorswater. Be warned if you're going out to see it, it has run around 90 minutes early each time so far.

Thanks for posting all the excellent photos.

David