KERNOW TODAY

I don't think it has used platform 4 for some time now even if the WTT still says it does.  I seem to remember the change to platform 1 was related to health and safety as a result of an investigation in the area a few years back following a crossing fatality.

Not sure that this is correct.  AFAIK it was just a request from the TOC, nothing else.  

Not sure that this is correct.  AFAIK it was just a request from the TOC, nothing else.  

I've just gone back over some discussions a few years back elsewhere on the issue and on two separate occasions it was said that when the ORR were in the area following the crossing fatality the usage of platform 4 was picked up on and that it was then suggested that it didn't use that platform.  It seems that the issue was due to easy access to the doors on the unplatformed side of the train.  It may well be that the ORR informed the TOC of this observation and the TOC then requested the move to platform 1.

Edited by Zoe

• RMweb Gold

I've just gone back over some discussions a few years back elsewhere on the issue and on two separate occasions it was said that when the ORR were in the area following the crossing fatality the usage of platform 4 was picked up on and that it was then suggested that it didn't use that platform.  It seems that the issue was due to easy access to the doors on the unplatformed side of the train.  It may well be that the ORR informed the TOC of this observation and the TOC then requested the move to platform 1.

The TOC hadn't noticed and needed some ORR bod to point it out :O  :O    Weird :mail:

• RMweb Premium

Just to follow up on the class 70 movement yesterday - the return run was denied access to Laira by GWR, so diverted to Tavistock Junction yard. :scratchhead:

Probably sick of the sight of it being as its been in there so long!

• RMweb Gold

Not being funny, but the goods yard at Tavistock Jct does need to see more usage, to justify it's continued existence. When I was at work, I was constantly urging signallers to use little-used sidings, so as to get a bit of a shine on the rail heads.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'll give this topic a bit of a nudge...

Class 37 test train in Cornwall next week. Arrives at Penzance Wed morning 04.03 but departs in the evening 20.42 for Exeter via Newquay & Looe.

Cheers

CM

UTU train then. That'l please one of my colleagues (not!) :D

Not being funny, but the goods yard at Tavistock Jct does need to see more usage, to justify it's continued existence. When I was at work, I was constantly urging signallers to use little-used sidings, so as to get a bit of a shine on the rail heads.

Its almost inevitable that one day soon it will disappear and light industry will take its place who will not need rail access.  It I surprising that it has not happened already in NRs rush to unload useless assets. which is a pity but the money men always seem to win in the end.  One of my favourite spotting venues was from the over bridge and with a bottle of lemonade and a packet of crisps, my day was complete.  Especially if a new loco was copped!

Brian.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tintagel Castle was seen at 17.59 yesterday at Exeter St. Davids as I was waiting for my train home. It seems to draw a small crowd with their cameras each time it leaves.