KERNOW TODAY

all the old signal numbers (which we pretty much know off by heart) have been changed for no apparent reason

I think you'll find only the old Distant numbers have been changed, and this to maintain consistency with the rest of the route and the new signals.

Simon

I think you'll find only the old Distant numbers have been changed, and this to maintain consistency with the rest of the route and the new signals.

Simon

Consistency,  yoo avin a larf?

It is no doubt to a new and different 'standard' to all the other resignalling scheme we have had lately, where we had a logical sequence of signal numbers we could follow easily during degraded working etc, now they jump all over the place in no logical sequence at all!

Lets look at the resignalling from Upper Trenowin to Saveock in the up direction (I didnt bother looking at the down due to lack of interest), they are now new R2 (distant), new R6 (stop), renumbered R16 (previously R4R, distant), as it always was R4 (stop, Camborne station starter), new R8 (distant), new R10 (stop), new R12 (distant), new R14 (stop), can you please show me the consistency (or logic) in that because I cant see it!

Why couldnt R4 be included in the renumbering to make it properly logical as R4R was, or is there some logic in including one distant signal but not its associated stop signal?

Please tell me you havent changed all the other easy on the eyes filament lamp signals for those retina burning, narrow angle LED signals at the same time, if you have that would just be the icing on a not very nice cake!

Edited by royaloak

Consistency,  yoo avin a larf?

It is no doubt to a new and different 'standard' to all the other resignalling scheme we have had lately, where we had a logical sequence of signal numbers we could follow easily during degraded working etc, now they jump all over the place in no logical sequence at all!

Lets look at the resignalling from Upper Trenowin to Saveock in the up direction (I didnt bother looking at the down due to lack of interest), they are now new R2 (distant), new R6 (stop), renumbered R16 (previously R4R, distant), as it always was R4 (stop, Camborne station starter), new R8 (distant), new R10 (stop), new R12 (distant), new R14 (stop), can you please show me the consistency (or logic) in that because I cant see it!

Why couldnt R4 be included in the renumbering to make it properly logical as R4R was, or is there some logic in including one distant signal but not its associated stop signal?

Please tell me you havent changed all the other easy on the eyes filament lamp signals for those retina burning, narrow angle LED signals at the same time, if you have that would just be the icing on a not very nice cake!

Yes, I understand there is a weird bit of numbering when you go from new signals to old, but it was the best I could do given the tight remit I was given. There is logic in the numbering, although I will agree that the existing distant re-numbering is odd.

I meant to refer to consistency in terms of distant signals having separate numbers to stop signals.

No, the existing signals have not been renewed.

Simon

Thank you for the reply, but one might question why the tight remit?

but this bit-

No, the existing signals have not been renewed.

Simon

Is excellent news thank you, thank you and thrice thank you.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

Live travel report.

In a break with folklore and tradition the train did stop Camborne on a Wednesday. But as with most occasions when I use the 16.00 up from Penzance the Pullman dining service is not operating.

That is now six out of nine trips when the advertised service is unavailable. Not a good track record. Pun intended. Hasty stock-up from buffet car required.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Whilst walking te dogs on Monday morning 29 10 18 I happened to see a blue liveried class on it's way to Penzance so I thought I'd try & get a pic.....

Unfortunately I missed it due to misreading my timetable but was rewarded by three car 150001,a set I'd seen in the distance but not close up.... 

post-7844-0-72241200-1541276335_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-00072300-1541276469_thumb.jpg

Just on the offchance I came back later to see what the next up train would be & was pleasantly surprised to see a GTi HST set made up of 43198 & 43188....

post-7844-0-79070700-1541276668_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-40444700-1541276725_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-47305600-1541276785_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-67337800-1541276826_thumb.jpg

I had a day off this Friday as well so I thought I'd see what came through at 10'ish whilst walking the dogs.....

Nearly missed it but the glimpse I got made me think it might be a 158.....

This time I read my timetable correctly.....

150263 was in the station as I arrive just leaving for Penzance.....

Waited 10minutes & 158766 rolled in from Penzance....

post-7844-0-66715600-1541278228_thumb.jpg

I was in the middle of doing a photo survey of it when 802008 & 802009 rolled in from the Plymouth direction.....

So I got a pic of 1587 leaving.....

post-7844-0-27897900-1541278427_thumb.jpg

& some not very good pics of the two 802's....Mainly because I wasn't ready for it & the sun was so bright I couldn't get a decent photo from the other platform.....

While I was there on Monday I also saw a full length HST but again the sun was wrong for good pictures......

Quite a nice variety of passenger stock in two short visits....

Cheers Bill

post-7844-0-55540500-1541278111_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-40546300-1541278555_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

And what happens to it there?

Brian.

It gets unloaded ;)

It then goes into lorries which take it to, I believe, various building sites or merchant's yards across the east of London. 

The sand traffic used to originate from Witham and some possibly still does.  Encouraging to hear of a new freight flow from Cornwall.

That certainly looks a bit different to the old one!

Definitely, it used to be Maplins switches mounted on the block shelf!

Which was quite funny as when I asked about the state of the frame for the scheme plan, I was asked ‘what frame?’

The panel looks great, first clear shot I’ve seen of it, really should go down and see it myself!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

Hi

Following my post on 3rd Nov I finally caught the/a blue 158.......

I don't know how many there are coming down here......

I had noticed that the down train passing Pool at about 9.40 ex Temple Meads quite often has a 158 on it so on my days off I made sure I was walking the dog about that time....

Today finally I saw one & went to Camborne station to catch it on it's return journey.....

Here arriving at Camborne....

post-7844-0-97865000-1545412033_thumb.jpg

Waiting to leave.....

post-7844-0-80953300-1545411993_thumb.jpg

On its way.....

post-7844-0-81263000-1545411958_thumb.jpg

Beginning to look a bit careworn with chipped/missing paint on the front & rear but the place names on the sides still look clear clean & bright....

post-7844-0-55610000-1545412312_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-23183900-1545412621_thumb.jpg

I assume that this unit will soon be reliveried to the new GWR Green.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here is one of the problems that is delaying the introduction of these machines up north. Apparently people can climb these wires and get onto the roof! I thought that was in India! We are obviously more civilised with these Azuma's.

Simple fix......make each cable longer than the cable below so it reaches the lower cable and clip them together. No ladder then.

• RMweb Premium

A typical lack of logic! Why have the cables spread all the way up the end of the car like that? Why not have them all at the same height as we have in the UK for the last 50 or 60 years or so?

I thought the Japanese were supposed to be clever.