KERNOW TODAY

Is the coach on the right the Laundry Coach?

I can see the tumble dryer ducting underneath.........

No, i think its the air extraction to the microwaves on the LH unit ! 

• RMweb Gold

Given how close BR Mk2-3 coaches were, with a short connection (compared to the old bellows style), this seems like a return to old style corridor connections. I hadn't realised how far apart the coaches are! There must be several metres of wasted length in each unit.

A typical lack of logic! Why have the cables spread all the way up the end of the car like that? Why not have them all at the same height as we have in the UK for the last 50 or 60 years or so?

I thought the Japanese were supposed to be clever.

Perhaps they still are the clever ones, perhaps they don't have idiots that climb the cables and as such didn't know to change a successful design over there to account for stupid over here. I know stupid is an affliction the world over not just in the UK but it does take a special kind of stupid to climb up the side of a train under OHLE!

Edit. Re-reading that sounds like I'm being harsh to Gary, not at all, I just can't beleive how stupid people have to be to climb those cables!

Edited by WD0-6-0

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps they still are the clever ones, perhaps they don't have idiots that climb the cables and as such didn't know to change a successful design over there to account for stupid over here. I know stupid is an affliction the world over not just in the UK but it does take a special kind of stupid to climb up the side of a train under OHLE!

Edit. Re-reading that sounds like I'm being harsh to Gary, not at all, I just can't beleive how stupid people have to be to climb those cables!

Agree entirely!! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/01/2019 at 09:31, rab said:

So they'll go round no.1 radius curves easier.

That may be close to the truth! With the coaches being 26m long and most of the extra length being outboard of the bogies, the end throw will be greater than a mk2 or mk3. Maybe that requires the longer gangways to cater for it.

• RMweb Gold

With the recent news that St. Austell's GWR footbridge is currently being dismantled and moved to the Helston Railway: https://www.facebook.com/helstonrailway/videos/386724035438647/ I thought it was opportune to share some some photos from a visit I made in September 2013.  The old place has changed quite a bit since then, with the very modern footbridge/lifts appearing.  Very handy I'm sure, but not very aesthetic?

I took the photos to help me build my model railway layout, which will feature the station in the 1970's, it still isn't started!

Hopefully these don't break any rules on Kernow 'today'?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trickymundo2009/sets/72157680011948556

Edited by 87004
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Kris said:

Not sure what the Helston Railway will do with the footbridge however.

Stop it going straight to the scrapyard for a start, the bridge was going to be removed anyway so if nobody wanted it then to the scrapyard it would go, probably in lots of easier to handle, gas axed pieces.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

So is there a new one now erected in it's place?

Yes, my original post that was shortened in the quote above, stated that it had been replaced by a footbridge/lifts.  I imagine this is a Network Rail standard issue?  It can be seen here:

https://goo.gl/images/GQPkxA

Not very aesthetic, but I guess it does the job?

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, brianusa said:

Sadly it may just lie in a field close by getting rustier and rustier which is usually the fate of structures on some preservation lines :(.  It will be a pleasant surprise to see it tidied up and spanning the branch:yes:!

It is to be subject to a detailed restoration first before being erected at the new home on the Helston Railway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Not Captain Kernow said:

It is to be subject to a detailed restoration first before being erected at the new home on the Helston Railway.

Good news for sure.  St A's loss, Helston's gain; it'll go nicely with the new Halt!:yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all!

Not really Kernow today but a bit of nostalgic "Kernow yesterday". I stumbled across these fabulous videos this week and thought I would share. So pop the kettle on, make yourselves a cup of tea, and soak up the nostalgia. Class 37's and 50's galore! None of that Hitachi nonsense! (and not a 66 in sight!)

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Went to Penzance yesterday. Couldn’t get time for open day today unfortunately but caught a few shots around long rock whilst I was there

1st off around 1205 ish Penzance to Paddington passes crossing at east of long rock

4B7C81BC-E05E-48F0-ADB9-261582A82BE5.jpeg

4501D49F-B833-4C7C-9BAB-7E0B931BCCCD.jpeg

• Like 1