KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Premium

I shall be making a 700-mile round trip in the next few days (Boris permitting) to enjoy Philps pasties.  Any sightings of trains large or small will be purely coincidental, SWMBO is not comfortable making the trip aboard them so I get to drive the infernal combustion engine all that way and the mere detail of it being our Silver Wedding anniversary is very much overshadowed by the urgent need for quality pastification. ;)  

• Friendly/supportive 4

20 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I've not heard of them before where they from? I'm particularly partial to ones from Sarah's in Looe and a Portreath. 

Marc

Hi Marc

They're based in Bodmin but have several shops in the area including Wadebridge,Liskeard.Padstow,Pool (between Redruth/Camborne)

Not the biggest but very tasty.

Bill

19 hours ago, AndyH said:

Still miss Horse & Jockey from Helston and Porthleven. Their flaky pastry...

Hi

My son who lives in Helston tells me that since the demise of Mothers Pasty shop in Helston the original makers of Horse & Jockey pasties have taken over the shop & the resulting pasty is just as good as the original Horse & Jockey ones.....

Cheers Bill

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, treggyman said:

Horse & Jockey pasties

I sincerely hope there is no connection between the name and the ingredients :bo_mini: If that’s what they’re really made of I bet they wouldn’t stay down furlong :laugh_mini:

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

This weekend's weather is certainly suited to the appearance of the RHTT - I didn't get any usable shots but did take a video as it passed through Saltash on its outward run this morning - not quite as appealing as the diesels involved in top and tailing action last week!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, brianusa said:

Don't train crews wave any more?

Brian.

Most do if you initiate but in this instance I had both hands busy with the camera, although I often try to give a nod/smile.

Nearly all drivers certainly do engage with young children - I was at the station with my 4-yr old son on the weekend who was giving the crew of a Castle Class HST an enthusiastic wave - they gave such a blast on the horn I thought we were about to revert to potty training - and that was just for me!
Even the crew were surprised by how loudly it bounced off the surrounding buildings, they gave an apologetic grin as they pulled off! :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2020 at 07:55, alexross42 said:

Most do if you initiate but in this instance I had both hands busy with the camera, although I often try to give a nod/smile.

Nearly all drivers certainly do engage with young children - I was at the station with my 4-yr old son on the weekend who was giving the crew of a Castle Class HST an enthusiastic wave - they gave such a blast on the horn I thought we were about to revert to potty training - and that was just for me!
Even the crew were surprised by how loudly it bounced off the surrounding buildings, they gave an apologetic grin as they pulled off! :D

Its such a nice gesture, a leftover from childhood perhaps, but nowadays such pleasantries are getting rarer and rarer along with a general lack of interaction with each other these days.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Hi

Due to the planned work to replace some track at Pool , Redruth by the Tesco Extra store the line has been closed this week.

Last night when taking the dog out at about 10pm I could hear the distinctive sound of an idling class 66.

I walked down to find a filthy 66155 at the head of a rake of some full some empty ballast wagons.

I tried to take some pics but my camera wouldn't play ball as I obviously didn't want to use the flash.

This morning the train was still there & hadn't seemed to move.

By the time I was able to go to the worksite it had moved but two more trains had arrived & were standing on the down line.

I was able to take a few pics so here are some of them.....

IMG_1875.resized.JPG.d51362783dfedb02f79000717bafd6d7.JPG

60155 at the head of the now nearly emptied ballast train.This & the tail loco were filthy so probably were the rail head train loco'sIMG_1878.resized.JPG.4e9fc3100371c4965c71e5d1649ffe1d.JPG

Rail mounted 'digger' offloading the ballast.66151 just visible.

IMG_1879.resized.JPG.5a35329a210eb354c8dc9eb8f091cfd1.JPG

The tail of the ballast train with filthy 66151.

More to follow in a bit

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman
To finish post as accidentaly sent
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi again

As you can see i've still not got my head around this 'new' site......

Anyway some more pics

IMG_1873.resized.JPG.b3eb1aa4384af2da6ba2166099296eb0.JPG

IMG_4336.resized.JPG.f9022546cf9c768290ac7fe92685471f.JPG

70811 at the head of 10 autoballesters.Incidentally the guy on the footplate was in a DB uniform.

IMG_4331.resized.JPG.0ed4d069b9da4324d96ffb2e2f289939.JPG

66849 Wylam Dilly was at the tail of the autoballasters buffered up to but not not coupled to 70815

IMG_4354.resized.JPG.fefc62d60b3457034191c83d435294be.JPG

IMG_4351.resized.JPG.5923af09a10df7913a58b6461192f891.JPG

70815's train.

That's all for now....

Cheers Bill

• Like 9

10 hours ago, treggyman said:

70811 at the head of 10 autoballesters.Incidentally the guy on the footplate was in a DB uniform.

That looks like the shunter for operating the doors on the auto ballasters. He's got the remote for the doors with him, that black box hanging down.

66155 and 66151 were indeed this year's RHTT locos, as far as I'm aware they worked the whole job without replacement.

Jo

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Everyday services at Penzance. Taken this morning. The state of the old goods yard office is shocking, it can't have much longer left. 

IMG_4509.jpeg.1b8fdcdf7046c4571b878094f03a92c4.jpegIMG_4473.jpeg.8e40f4e813668022840d7d15dc2b00a0.jpegIMG_4490.jpeg.c71dc10f79ba11a1737baa1c51c0f608.jpegIMG_4493.jpeg.fe91d33907ac1543ff3342e4f7802ef2.jpegIMG_4459.jpeg.57b1c927506a2d5a4108a978cc41b86e.jpegWhoops, got my finger in the last one, that will teach me to take photos whilst cycling along. 

• Like 10

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There's been a lot of coverage of these magnificent beasts over social media but just in case anyone's missed it here are some pics of the 'tractors' at Saltash:

04th April, en route to Penzance

spacer.png

06th April, to Plymouth then Kingswear

spacer.png

also a video of their passing through on the 04th:

All the best,

Ross.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, pb_devon said:

Lots of speculation that there’s a connection with the G7 summit in June.

Pullman treatment for the locals whose lives are to be significantly disrupted for a few weeks, perhaps? ;)  

• Funny 5

• 3 weeks later...