KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarcD said:

Does this mean the trains now don't stop Camborne Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays.......... 

Marc

If only ..... 

But the good news, for what it may be worth, is that many trains which stop at Camborne are formed of HST “Castle” sets and are unaffected. 

What happened Wednesday was ...... :jester:  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice to be able to enjoy seeing some 'exotic' beasts visiting the Duchy lately:

29th May - 43055 leads the 0600 Eastleigh - Penzance 'Cornish Coastal Pullman' through Saltash station.

51214055602_daef48fac1_b.jpg

02nd June - 47614 & 47593 head East through Saltash with the 1500 Penzance to Wolverhampton 'Cornish Riveria Statesman'

51220501291_82b31ddb63_b.jpg

All the best,

Ross.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, alexross42 said:

Nice to be able to enjoy seeing some 'exotic' beasts visiting the Duchy lately:

29th May - 43055 leads the 0600 Eastleigh - Penzance 'Cornish Coastal Pullman' through Saltash station.

51214055602_daef48fac1_b.jpg

02nd June - 47614 & 47593 head East through Saltash with the 1500 Penzance to Wolverhampton 'Cornish Riveria Statesman'

51220501291_82b31ddb63_b.jpg

All the best,

Ross.

Do you live on Saltash platform? :D

How the hell do you find out what’s coming through all the time, every time I try and find out I just get a headache!

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Do you live on Saltash platform? :D

How the hell do you find out what’s coming through all the time, every time I try and find out I just get a headache!

Ha, close enough! 

This is a really good source for railtours:

http://railtourinfo.co.uk/tours.html

And of course Real Time trains for all workings:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk

All the best,

Ross

• Informative/Useful 3

The Network Rail New Measurement Train passes Hallenbeagle Mine near Scorrier with the 157M 0611 Reading Triangle Sidings to Paignton via Penzance on 4 June 2021. 43290 leads with 43299 trailing are ex LNER power cars recently transferred to Network Rail. Copyright Neville King

IMG_0295 (2).JPG

IMG_0297 (2).JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Rose Cottage Halt said:

Article in Rail Business Daily re Devon and Cornwall re-signalling programme:

Siemens Mobility to deliver low-cost digital solution for Devon and Cornwall re-signalling programme

Interesting. This will be the end of mechanical signalling then.

Bit confused by this statement:

Siemens Mobility will be supplying its Controlguide Westcad control system at Exeter power signal box (PSB) for Cornwall, and at Plymouth PSB for Devon

So Exeter's covering Cornwall, despite Plymouth being closer?

I found this on the Cornwall Railway Society website, just before finding this post (you can probably trace my morning habits........!) Having moved back to Cornwall early last year with a bunch of semaphores 15 minutes' walk away this is disappointing news but not unexpected. After all they should have gone two years ago. When I first became interested in railways in 1966 I remember being fascinated by the centre pivot contraption overhanging the up platform, and it's astonishing that it's still there 55 years later even if disfigured by a maintenance platform - of all of them that's the one I'll have to visit to take some farewell photos. Then Truro as that's where I watched them for the 'pegging' of Westerns and Warships (while hoping for a 'foreign' Brush Type 4 instead!)

The great thing about semaphores is not having to be in front of them to see what they're displaying. Being lineside down here again and hearing the old signals clattering and wires twanging has been a trip down Memory Lane even if the trains now look completely different (with some of them having pantographs on their roofs...........now THAT is something I would NEVER have expected to see in Cornwall!) Unfortunately the semaphores' demise sooner rather than later was inevitable. Where's the camera..........?

• Friendly/supportive 4

Hi

Following a heads up from my grandson I took my trusty camera to capture for posterity GBRF 66708 bringing rails down for a drop at St Austell.

Train was 6G97

The light was poor but as the train was about25 mins early at least I got a couple of pics.....Not brilliant but better than nothing.....

This is the best.....

IMG_1965.resized.JPG.fba90323994855c0fde70471340ade84.JPG10 mins later it was followed by a 5 car IEP & as can be seen the light had really deteriorated.....So much so that the pics of the up 10 car IEP were useless.....

IMG_1975.resized.JPG.f99ab995dd8b2790495a25f7d99f5aba.JPG

AS I was walking home after the 5 car went past a 150 unit sprd by on it's merry way to Penzance.

Cheers Bill

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Where were those pictures taken, please? I’m surprised that a freight train would be running only ten minutes in front of a passenger in Cornwall unless it was fairly close to a loop somewhere. 

Edited by Western Aviator

58 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Where were those pictures taken, please? I’m surprised that a freight train would be running only ten minutes in front of a passenger in Cornwall unless it was fairly close to a loop somewhere. 

Hi Western Aviator

The pictures were taken from the footbridge just outsde the Tesco Extra between Redruth & Camborne.

I didn't time the delay between the trains as they went past but took the info from the data recorded in the properties section of the picture archive.......

The freight was in front of the ,I assume , late running IC88 Paddington to Penzance & Real Time Trains shows the freight at Camborne ( next station ) at 21.19 & the passenger at 21.29....

Cheers Bill

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Bill. I assumed the pictures were taken somewhere east of St. Austell as you’d written that 6G97 was bringing rails down for a drop at St. Austell. It didn’t occur to me that the train would be that far west. In that case, it must have gone all the way to Penzance to run round/reverse. 

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

Thanks for that Bill. I assumed the pictures were taken somewhere east of St. Austell as you’d written that 6G97 was bringing rails down for a drop at St. Austell. It didn’t occur to me that the train would be that far west. In that case, it must have gone all the way to Penzance to run round/reverse. 

Hi

Yes it did & returned to St Austell a couple of hours or so later......

It arrived in Plymouth about 20mins or so late but didn't stop for long leaving 20mins or so early.....Luckily....or it wouldn't have been light enough to get a pic.....

It wasn't heavily loaded either....4 brand new completely non rusty rails....

Cheers Bill

• Thanks 1

On 11/06/2021 at 22:38, Ramblin Rich said:

Interesting. This will be the end of mechanical signalling then.

Bit confused by this statement:

Siemens Mobility will be supplying its Controlguide Westcad control system at Exeter power signal box (PSB) for Cornwall, and at Plymouth PSB for Devon

So Exeter's covering Cornwall, despite Plymouth being closer?

Hi,

As one of the designers on the scheme, I can answer the questions:

1) Semaphore Signalling at Liskeard, St. Blazey, Goonbarrow and St. Erth is safe, and the mechanical frame at Penzance is also safe. I think the signal boxes that are being closed will remain standing, just in a different use.

2) The new workstation at Exeter will cover Cornwall, and eventually also control Plymouth when that’s done (although I don’t when that will be). There’s simply more space for a workstation at Exeter and it’s where the Cornish signallers are based at anyway (at least I think that was the case when we did the original scheme).

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
Forgot to add St. Erth to safe list
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Two photos of the LSL Blue Pullman visit on 29/5/21 (I'd been waiting for this one!) on the down working, taken from the Merthen Farm overbridge just west of Par Docks, 15 minutes brisk walk from where I now live. I knew Nanking Blue was bright but the sun really lit it up! At the moment I took the going-away shot the front end must have come into view of the Carlyon Bay golfers where 'train stopped play' and "What the heck is THAT?!"

WP_20210529_11_43_14_Pro.jpg.361327781dcb150367be018aae37a686.jpg

1971399541_WP_20210529_11_43_25_Pro(2).jpg.4baf200bb4ef464eba037ababe9082c4.jpg

Here's an intriguing question - when was the last time a diesel train was seen in Cornwall without a yellow warning panel? I would say January/February 1965, assuming that D856 'Trojan' visited during that time (a few Class 22s lasted longer in plain green but AFAIK they were in the Exeter area). 

• Like 3

On 27/06/2021 at 12:30, pb_devon said:

Thanks Simon.

So, just to clarify, the mechanical signals will remain and be motor driven operated from the panel in Exeter?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes and no, the Mechanical Semaphores at Lostwithiel, Par and Truro are all being replaced with LED Colour Lights, they will be controlled by a VDU Workstation at Exeter rather than the panel. However, the Mechanical Semaphore Signals at Liskeard, St. Blazey, Goonbarrow and St. Erth will remain and worked by their respective boxes.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3