KERNOW TODAY

On 04/09/2021 at 19:12, Phil Mc said:

The road/rail diggers were parked up in the sidings 2 weeks ago, although there was no evidence of any work having taken place then.

No idea what they're doing though !!

Cheers,

Phil.

There’s a report explaining what’s going on with photo’s on todays news on the CRS website: http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/latest-input--news--old-pictures-etc

Scroll down to the 6 September section.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pb_devon said:

There’s a report explaining what’s going on with photo’s on todays news on the CRS website: http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/latest-input--news--old-pictures-etc

Scroll down to the 6 September section.

Interesting but…….what does this mean, and the implications?

“but unfortunately the West end connection from the loop to the dries has now been plain lined”

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Interesting but…….what does this mean, and the implications?

“but unfortunately the West end connection from the loop to the dries has now been plain lined”

I'd think they mean the old Blackpool Dries? Just a thought...

On 06/09/2021 at 17:47, boxbrownie said:

It was the “plain lined” that threw me…..

Hi,

Plain lined just means the switches, and sometimes the crossing, have been removed for one of the two routes, so that the line is just, effectively, a plain bit of track. It doesn’t mean the track has been totally removed, just the bits that make a point a point.

Presumably in this case, it means you can can now longer access the West end Dries from the Loop Line and presumably means that the West End Dries (or at least the rail connection to them) haven’t been used in a while.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Plain lined just means the switches, and sometimes the crossing, have been removed for one of the two routes, so that the line is just, effectively, a plain bit of track. It doesn’t mean the track has been totally removed, just the bits that make a point a point.

Presumably in this case, it means you can can now longer access the West end Dries from the Loop Line and presumably means that the West End Dries (or at least the rail connection to them) haven’t been used in a while.

Simon

Brilliant thanks, explanation understood.

Well apart from “switches” surely you mean points? ;)

Actually I wish I hadn’t typed that in an RM Web thread :lol: 

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Remember Railway Station?  Another name change, from points this time; next it might be ties, then we'll all be able to converse in American!:o Cabooses anyone?

Brian.

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Brilliant thanks, explanation understood.

Actually I wish I hadn’t typed that in an RM Web thread :lol: 

Hi,

Switches and Crossings make up points in the UK, so when I say switches, the colloquial modelling term would be point blades :)

It’s not an Americanism what so ever, S&C (Switches and Crossings) has been the official term for a point since at least the turn of the last Century!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Switches and Crossings make up points in the UK, so when I say switches, the colloquial modelling term would be point blades :)

It’s not an Americanism what so ever, S&C (Switches and Crossings) has been the official term for a point since at least the turn of the last Century!

Simon

Told you I wish I hadn’t typed that comment……. didn’t take long :lol:

• Funny 2

Hi

The two GBRF 50's came down to Penzance today on the Cornishman.

My grandson had told me they were coming but I'd forgotten 'till a familiar loud engine noise disturbed me munching on my Pasty......

However saw them on their return at Cooks Kitchen.....

Castle class headed I think by 43016 on it's way to Penzance........

IMG_2118.resized.JPG.4c51676ce349aa32fc4f4b35ccc85293.JPG

Loud roar plus clag = 50049 & 50034 heading from Camborne past Dolcoath towards Redruth......

IMG_2119.resized.JPG.f97d19d04954156aa242c0254a07ee83.JPG

IMG_2123.resized.JPG.332e6db1e741ddf6fb568b7981047113.JPG

IMG_2126.resized.JPG.66b814654fe1de8030bacfb63cbf5abc.JPG

Not the best of pictures as I was looking into a hazy sun....

But better than nothing......

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman
to correct the loco number to 50034
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Was great to see Class 50's back in the South West this weekend, and spent a few hours happily 'chasing' and even riding behind them.
On the way down, thundering through St. Germans:

At Penzance before the return leg:

Penzance Pair

I was able to join the return journey as far as Par, where upon departure I planned a quick run to the front of the train to take some more pictures it as it departed, however my plan was well and truly scuppered as the engines didn't stop until they were way past the station - doh! Well it was load 13....

spacer.png

Finally, whilst waiting at Par for my train home a Castle Class set came in from the East with the lead power car sounding particularly rough and after having stopped for a minute it then abruptly shut down leaving the rear power car to push the entire train out of the station and up the incline. Fortunately it only had 3 coaches!

Below Par Performance

• Like 9

5 hours ago, alexross42 said:

Was great to see Class 50's back in the South West this weekend, and spent a few hours happily 'chasing' and even riding behind them.
On the way down, thundering through St. Germans:

At Penzance before the return leg:

Penzance Pair

I was able to join the return journey as far as Par, where upon departure I planned a quick run to the front of the train to take some more pictures it as it departed, however my plan was well and truly scuppered as the engines didn't stop until they were way past the station - doh! Well it was load 13....

spacer.png

Finally, whilst waiting at Par for my train home a Castle Class set came in from the East with the lead power car sounding particularly rough and after having stopped for a minute it then abruptly shut down leaving the rear power car to push the entire train out of the station and up the incline. Fortunately it only had 3 coaches!

Below Par Performance

Hi

I hadn't realised that 50034 was numbered 50007 on the other side 'till I saw the above photo at Penzance.

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Hi

I hadn't realised that 50034 was numbered 50007 on the other side 'till I saw the above photo at Penzance.

Cheers Bill

It caught me out as I didn't realise it was 50034 on the other side! The loco is actually 50007 but carries numbers of other class mates on the other side - It was previously 50014 'Warspite', but now carries 50034 - If you're collecting numbers I guess it's a good way of completing the list a bit quicker :lol:

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A Crompton in Cornwall!
Great to see this pair heading out of the County this morning, in a very lucky spell of sunshine:

A Crompton in Cornwall

Captured on video too - they sounded great, the high walls at the Western end of the station always do a good job of amplifying and reverberating throaty engine sounds! :)

All the best,
Ross.

Edited by alexross42
typos...again
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

An update on St Blazey turntable - I walked around there yesterday afternoon and noted that the table itself has recently been turned 90 degrees and now aligns with Industrial Unit No 4 which is the 4th door from the right side. Nothing else obvious has changed (yet).

A still presentable-looking 66098 on the RHTT was parked just a few yards away, with the train inside the maintenance shed and presumably 66116 on the other end. A pair of CDAs is still there too, I haven't been able to ascertain whether one of them is 375000 - I don't think the nearest one is. It helps that the last three digits of the running number are painted on the corners of the cradle but I'm going to have to dig my old binoculars out to get a closer look at these two!

I also noticed that some of the former depot's double doors have been replaced in recent times, from memory Units 1 to 3 & 9. The general appearance and ironwork closely resemble the originals, as you would expect on a listed building. One or two of the other doors look ripe for replacement in the not-too-distant future........

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 15:04, Halvarras said:

A pair of CDAs is still there too, I haven't been able to ascertain whether one of them is 375000 - I don't think the nearest one is. It helps that the last three digits of the running number are painted on the corners of the cradle but I'm going to have to dig my old binoculars out to get a closer look at these two!

Finally dragged my old binoculars (I bought them off a bloke who was short of beer money for a fiver in 1975!) down to the St Blazey turntable area this afternoon - the nearest CDA is 375009 and the one behind it is..........ta-daa, 375000!

Interestingly in spring last year 375003 was between these two so at some point, earlier this year I believe, this one has been extricated and '000 and '009 recoupled. As they are separate from the rest in storage I have to wonder if the first-built production CDA is destined for preservation with its sidekick a parts donor - but this is pure speculation on my part of course!

I understand that track renewals are taking place between Par and Liskeard so St Blazey was a little busier than normal. Freightliner green 66556 & 66517 were stabled near the turntable with an unidentified DBS red one nearby. The RHTT was also on hand with 66116 ticking over in the yard and presumably 66098 on the other end inside the shed.

WP_20211113_15_38_37_Pro.jpg.7725d75c728b74796116876148a172cd.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeAEmLpQ05bwIIftM9UTucA?fbclid=IwAR1484Z0MgDYnFnoHGKftjle1-BTylkY82WdHFNhsP3oirg25T-8eZq7c8c 

A new video from the helston railways YouTube channel.

A subscription to the YouTube channel is free and will help the railway out enormously! 
we are also on the look out for new volunteers! if your interested visit the website for more info.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...