KERNOW TODAY

Some action from the past few days:

A Nissan Mini bus crashed on to the Um line cess at Penstraze near Chacewater. The industry was fortunate that it happened on a Sunday morning, and didnt land 6 inches to the left. The Driver "ran away" from the site and was later arrested for a string of offences. I allowed trains to pass - though it was a squeeze. SLW over the Down from St Erth to Truro would have been challenging.

post-2613-0-30687400-1449528573_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-91833400-1449528586_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-82093000-1449528597_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-25530200-1449528607_thumb.jpeg

Mon 7th saw two class 143s reach Penzance on two occasions. These ran as a result of the Newton Abbot power problems.

Seen here as 2P86 at Gover

post-2613-0-68331000-1449528656_thumb.jpeg

Later at Penzance with 2C47 / 2E88 return

post-2613-0-21910100-1449528683_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-09682200-1449528694_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Operational problems at Newton Abbot on the day in question caused the Pacers to be switched from their normal Paignton duty to cover the Penzance turn.  They are not normally seen west of Aller Junction thank goodness.

• RMweb Premium

Operational problems at Newton Abbot on the day in question caused the Pacers to be switched from their normal Paignton duty to cover the Penzance turn.  They are not normally seen west of Aller Junction thank goodness.

Aye, indeed. Keep them up there in England! :D

• Like 3

More shenanigans..... down Riviera stopped by passenger between Totnes and Plymouth having pulled the communication s chord then detrained himself via carriage window and attempted to gain access to loco cab with comments like " I could do better "...... !

Arrested of course. Arrival at PZ around hour and half late.

• RMweb Premium

Problems again with the down sleeper this morning.

I was at St Erth when it trundled by nearly 2 hours down. Thought at the time, crikey that's late!!

Seemed that one of the pax pulled the pass com, stopped the train at Totnes before climbing into the cab of the 57 and asking the driver if he could take it forward! :O

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-35051174

Beaten to it by Paul.

Edited by Gary H

I'll be glad to see the end of Nov 2015. No glorious Autumn full sun shots to be had anywhere. Wall to wall cloud and rain all month. There was a fine morning but all I could manage was a glint shot from Liskeard box.

attachicon.gifliskeard (3).jpeg

Great to see your photo in Rail today Craig.

Mike

Edited by mikeyh

Morning Craig,

Thanks for the information - now that I know what you do for a living, I can see why you are often in the right place at the right time, and why your information is so up to date and accurate. We followers of this thread are very lucky to have so many knowledgeable railmen contributing, for which I'm certain I'm not the only one to enjoy immensely. Please keep those lovely images coming, weather permitting!

Kind regards,

Jock.

More shenanigans..... down Riviera stopped by passenger between Totnes and Plymouth having pulled the communication s chord then detrained himself via carriage window and attempted to gain access to loco cab with comments like " I could do better "...... !

Morning Paul,

I assume that alcohol was involved in the incident - not the actions of a rational person!

Kind regards,

Jock.

... and I waited ready to collect a friend off the Sleeper at PZ, topping up the car park meter.

The friend wasn't happy and I definately wasn't happy as I had other scheduled 'things to do', they didn't get done.

• RMweb Premium

No Aller Junction anymore - it's Aller divergence!

What's in a name?  It is still the point at which two routes part company and where drivers on one can thank their roster clerks that they aren't tackling the other ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's Yule and still went and windy at Long Rock. Nothing of note recently except the last Sleeper brake coach 17174 back from repaint last week. First internally refurbished coach now due " February ". It's in writing so must be true....... .

Last First kernow Volvo Olympian s are going this week so last chance to catch a proper bus !

Nadelek Lowen to all.

• RMweb Premium

West Cornwall finally to be rid of Limpalongs?  I drove the Leyland versions for years.  9mph uphill if you were lucky.  I've ridden the Volvo ones and they don't volve either.  Volvo is Latin for "I roll".

Nadelek Lowen, ha Blydhen Noweth Da.

• Like 1

Morning all,

I'd like to wish all who contribute to Paul's excellent thread a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thanks to you all for keeping my interest in that wonderful county alive, and the informed comment from the current railway workers, as well as the images from the accomplished photographers amongst us!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

I've just returned from a rather rain and windswept walk along the beach near Long Rock! The depot is rather full with 5 HST's, 1 Voyager and several DMU's present. The sleeper with 57603 attached is down by the carriage washing machine along with the 08 shunting locomotive. 

There are two HST power cars are in special liveries with 43163 in "Plymouth City of discovery" colours and 43012 in Bristol 2015 colours. It also looks like one of the 153 DMU's is present in the citizens rail colours.  

There are no trains parked up in Penzance station.

Looks like some engineering work going on by Long Rock with some railway vans in Long Rock beach car park - we are not all having christmas day off it seems!

There are photo's and reports elsewhere that 150232 has returned from works in GWR green - something to look out for in the coming weeks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56672011@N02/23565196369/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/56672011@N02/23304904934/

Finally a member of railway staff was assaulted on a train on the Falmouth line in the last few days, I hope they are okay over the festive period and that the culprit is dealt with accordingly.  

Edited by RichardTrevithick

• 2 weeks later...

Great British Railway Journeys TV Programme

Royal Albert Bridge is to appear in the current series on Friday 15th January screening at 1830 on BBC2.  Any positive feedback about the "expert" interviewed can be posted here;  anything negative can go to the programme makers telling them to chose better in future!

Enjoy (I Hope!)

pb_devon

see also posting http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101399-kernow-today/?view=findpost&p=1967351

Very smart that new livery on the 150. I think GWR have got it spot on. At last a decent livery!

Very smart?

Take your sun glasses off and take a close look. 

It's drab ,you wait until it get's dirty as First are not very good at keeping their fleet of units clean.

and to use GWR as a TOC branding  is one of the biggest farces ever,

trying to re invent the wheel by saying GWR giving the West it's railway back I don't think so, First have been reported for this ad. as miss leading.

First seem to think if they re brand their Company people will forget but it's still the same old service.

The real GWR directors must be turning in their graves. 

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521