KERNOW TODAY

Now this isn't something you see modelled very often...

A recent installation at Longrock.  I presume it's because the drivers can't see the concrete buffers.

Prototypical indicators for the modellers end of line 'hidden sidings' too.

post-6979-0-30282800-1461588181.jpg

post-6979-0-00816700-1461588185.jpg

post-6979-0-19774700-1461588202.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now this isn't something you see modelled very often...

A recent installation at Longrock.  I presume it's because the drivers can't see the concrete buffers.

Prototypical indicators for the modellers end of line 'hidden sidings' too.

attachicon.gifLongrock Balls - Small #1.jpg

attachicon.gifLongrock Balls - Small #2.jpg

attachicon.gifLongrock Balls - Small #4.jpg

I wonder what happens in a strong wind?

The point is they are there, and the holding up structure is a bit more than a cobble together arrangement for say, an April fool.

The balls are a very familiar sight way down west, known as Bouys from our local Chandler's stores.

• Like 1

When a unit hits one do bells and lights come on    with a message you have reached the end of the line go back to start and collect five pounds!

I know we have a cash economy way down west, but in this instance, I believe there are no prizes.

.... and no bells, no lights and I understand the earth doesn't move either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The point is they are there, and the holding up structure is a bit more than a cobble together arrangement for say, an April fool.

The balls are a very familiar sight way down west, known as Bouys from our local Chandler's stores.

Call them buoys - this is a buoy (and it's Cornish - lives off St Ives) 

post-6859-0-34744900-1461600316_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hard to believe this is really necessary!  How long have engine drivers particularly steam drivers been able to 'touch' bumpers without such paraphernalia.  Who thinks up these ideas anyway?

Brian.

So what's with the turntable at SBZ?  It was working OK last year and its a bit of a shame that after spending all that money on fares, the best part of the trip is behind a couple of diesels.

Brian.

Easier to turn 2 locos on a triangle than muck about uncoupling them etc to use a turntable.

When a unit hits one do bells and lights come on    with a message you have reached the end of the line go back to start and collect five pounds!

No, there is a big sign which lights up to inform the driver to remove the inferior traction from the sidings as they are reserved for the superior trains.  :locomotive:

Edit-

I see these balls are for Voyagers so I would like to update my post to-

No, there is a big sign which lights up to inform the driver to remove the superior traction from the sidings as they are reserved for the inferior trains.  :locomotive:

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

Hard to believe this is really necessary!  How long have engine drivers particularly steam drivers been able to 'touch' bumpers without such paraphernalia.  Who thinks up these ideas anyway?

Brian.

If we touch the buffers, however gently, it is classed as a collision and we have lots of forms to fill in and have a long rest from driving trains, the days of 'squaring it up' are long gone.

Edited by royaloak

Easier to turn 2 locos on a triangle than muck about uncoupling them etc to use a turntable.

Would agree if they were in close proximity but this is an eighty mile round trip.  Time, fuel, pathing, etc; surely it doesn't add up!  Besides, the passengers having paid  expensive fares would probably like steam all the way down.  But what do I know! :dontknow:

Brian.

Unfortunately our "enlightener" about such matters as the St Blazey turntable has, rather selfishly in my view, taken early retirement from the Orange Army (and the Taunton RMweb do). All the very best Tim and, in the words of that song, thanks for the memories.

Ed

• Like 1

OK. I knew the hanging bouys would cause comments..... . They are for roads 4 and 5 only for use with Voyager stableing. Long Rock is way behind other depots in some aspects, one of which is access steps. Not really a problem HST stock as there are steps fixed to the bogies. With 220/221s however, the only outside steps are at the cab ends meaning difficult to drag cleaning equipoment etc through the train. After many years of moaning, exterior access steps have been ordered and will be placed where the doors line up. Why i dont know and it seems daft but the dimensions of the steps are such that drivers will have to stop exactly in thge right place. Yes signs are already there and have been used for years........ .

My thoughts are the same as yours on that !!!!

• Like 1

Well chaps from Bouys to trains..

Plenty of mainline special action this April. I'm not around this coming Saturday for the Chester to Penzance WCR tour - so someone will have to deputize for me!

The 

Belmond Pullman in action:

Passing Grampound with the Saturday Charity working

post-2613-0-49337500-1461782184_thumb.jpeg

Up over Angarack viaduct with 66027 leading

post-2613-0-85201200-1461782448_thumb.jpeg

The Sunday empty working to Penzance prior to working back to Victoria. I was Pilotman for the Penzance single line - so got a ride on them!

post-2613-0-98042800-1461782169_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-61847100-1461782271_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-19424400-1461782284_thumb.jpeg

The Great Britain IX tour:

Day one.

Passenger train with WCR 57316 near Penponds

post-2613-0-02411300-1461782328_thumb.jpeg

Royal Scot heads west by Carlyon bay nearing sunset

post-2613-0-98336100-1461782350_thumb.jpeg

Magnificent sight heading back east on day two passing Bodriggy school at Hayle.

post-2613-0-75060100-1461782408_thumb.jpeg

• Like 18

CORRECTION.

Having been fed false info whilst off work, 57604 has NOT been repainted yet.

wrists have been slapped.

Update, 603 should be at SPM open day...... .

Edited by Co-tr-Paul