KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Premium

Deal signed off today for AT300s so bye bye HSTs from Dec 2018. :(

It's a shame that the HST's will go, however we do need to be pleased that there will be some new stock heading this way, not the hand me downs that have been seen so frequently. 

• Like 1

The old stock is generally more comfortable and better designed. I've heard the voyagers are a little cramped.

I can't see the advantage of new trains unless they have tilting capabilities to cope with the many curves in Cornwall to reduce journey times. Nothing wrong with HST's, they have lead the way for years and are a tough act to beat.

• Like 1

I have to agree. The interiors of the 300s are being designed by the same company that did the voyagers. I believe there is an artist's impression of the seat design already on Fliker and I'm not happy! I understand that TOCs get away with poor interiors because nobody actually complains in writing....! There was a recent article in a railway magazine from a designer stating so......!

• RMweb Gold

The old stock is generally more comfortable and better designed. I've heard the voyagers are a little cramped.

I can't see the advantage of new trains unless they have tilting capabilities to cope with the many curves in Cornwall to reduce journey times. Nothing wrong with HST's, they have lead the way for years and are a tough act to beat.

They were also Made in Britain.

Are these the new trains that will reduce the time by 14 min's between Paddington & Penzance?
If so, I seem to recall hearing on the local (spotlight) news that they will be able to carry 25% more passengers per coach,  which are, apparently a 'little' longer.

Or is my hearing getting worse.

Edited by Penlan

'Assembled' here IIRC

Not that different to anyone else in practice though - an Electrostar has a multitude of components on, in and under it that weren't made by Bombardier in Derby.

In terms of whether it has more or less "British-ness" than that  - it would be where the components come from, and I don't believe that most bits will come from Japan...

• RMweb Gold

I understood that they were longer which would cause problems with the curved platforms at Temple Meads.

Ed

Among more than a few other places on the Western network - starting at Paddington which it's all too easy to overlook also has some curved platforms.

Presumably they will fail sometimes just like the current HSTs so what happens when coaching stock is required.  Or are they not fixed sets?

Brian.

As they're Japanese they probably won't fail.  However it is going to be 'interesting' if they lose an engine for some reason - so no doubt a whole new set of Instructions regarding assistance on South Devon banks with X number of engines out (and possibly elsewhere as well?).  And taht will also mean having available locos capable of coupling to the units - could be interesting ;)

• RMweb Gold

Among more than a few other places on the Western network - starting at Paddington which it's all too easy to overlook also has some curved platforms.

As they're Japanese they probably won't fail.  However it is going to be 'interesting' if they lose an engine for some reason - so no doubt a whole new set of Instructions regarding assistance on South Devon banks with X number of engines out (and possibly elsewhere as well?).  And taht will also mean having available locos capable of coupling to the units - could be interesting ;)

Actually, we'll probably end up doing something similar to what is now done for Voyagers, which apparently habitually run around with one engine out of 4 or 5 isolated, and which doesn't make any difference to performance.

I also believe the new coaches to be longer than HSTs.

Given the investment in the sleepers, I believe that this will continue as a loco-hauled service once the new trains are introduced.

The fact that they are being designed by the same person who designed the interior of the Voyagers will understandably bring about some wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Hi

Went out with my son yesterday to take a couple of pics of the 57 & sleeper stock......

Pictures taken from Cooks Kitchen bridge.......

post-7844-0-12473400-1438515086_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-92729800-1438515114_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-01757700-1438515145_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-97499600-1438515175_thumb.jpg

Also took a video......Not tried this before but hopefully the link will work.....

https://youtu.be/_JaQCrPJ0T4

Had a bit of a drive around looking for suitable photo spots & came across the old cement terminal at Chacewater? station.....

Now a storage facility....

Did give me a layout idea with the whole thing being on a curve.....

post-7844-0-12441100-1438515572_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-72483100-1438515762_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-44481400-1438515792_thumb.jpg

Cheers Bill

• Like 15