KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Premium

Do we know whether the Jap C**p will be on specific duties (and if so which?) or is it a case of random allocation.  Surely the former as crews must be familiar with the stock they are rostered.  Not that this has ever stopped the occasional hiccup before.  It's only 48 hours since I had to handle a "don't sign" issue when trying to reroute a service from one platform to another.

yes they are on specific diagrams, Ido have them somewhere but put them somewhere safe, one diagram starts on 1A72 0553 from Plymouthto Paddington, the other finishes on 1C96 2003 from Paddington to Plymouth (incorrectly shown as 1C36)

• RMweb Premium

Already sampled.  Numb bum achieved by Maidenhead having boarded at Reading.  They have GOT to replace those seats.  They are not fit for trips of five minutes let alone five hours.  And have they sorted the catering provision yet?  These were not going to be equipped with fixed serving areas IIRC and instead the hapless traveller would be expected to rely on a trolley.  Which might or might not be aboard, may or may not have any substantial food (usually nothing more than crisps in my experience) and may well be in the other half of the train when formed of two sets; it is no longer possible to walk through between them.  

Further 802 info :

802003 and 005 due to start from LA

006 and 007 from North Pole

17 aug should see one at Long Rock for clearence and training before running to EX for low key launch event before finishing day at LA

As all 6 5car sets will be used 802101 to act as spare with 802001 and 002 as last resort up to 29 aug when next 2 sets accepted into traffic.

Already sampled.  Numb bum achieved by Maidenhead having boarded at Reading.  They have GOT to replace those seats.  They are not fit for trips of five minutes let alone five hours.  And have they sorted the catering provision yet?  These were not going to be equipped with fixed serving areas IIRC and instead the hapless traveller would be expected to rely on a trolley.  Which might or might not be aboard, may or may not have any substantial food (usually nothing more than crisps in my experience) and may well be in the other half of the train when formed of two sets; it is no longer possible to walk through between them.  

It all sounds so familiar! :umbrage:

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

It all sounds so familiar! :umbrage:

Brian.

Indeed, Brian.

This advert that I remember well from the 80's well and truly bought it home to me how far we have gone backwards! 

All very sad really. I dont think they could get away with the same claims now!!

"Pack em in and move em out"!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Steam on the Helston line. Whilst in an ideal world, it should be a GWR loco, I'm not complaining. It was rather busy today as well. 

post-163-0-26339300-1534449110_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Another branch line shot from Cornwall yesterday. Again didn’t have luck of catching train in shot. Although tricky due to no passing loops run rounds etc. The st Ives branch would be perfect for a steam service.

post-17016-0-25132600-1534486684_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

Agree, but along with the apoplectic fit thrown by NR, it would have to be a push pull journey which is not the best way to do things.  Now, if there still was a runaround at St Ives, it would be a whole new ball game!!  But the cost!!!  A great thought though!!!!

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another branch line shot from Cornwall yesterday. Again didn’t have luck of catching train in shot. Although tricky due to no passing loops run rounds etc. The st Ives branch would be perfect for a steam service.

Alas, when I was working, the question was occasionally raised, but the intensity of the GWR service rendered the possibility out of the question, as GWR could not/did not wish to (in part due to being in breach of ORR/franchise commitments) substitute a steam service in place of DMUs. Additional services on top of the timetabled DMU service are not possible at the times of day that people might wish to travel.

When considering further excursions for the GWS steam railmotor, for example, we came to the regrettable conclusion that the only lines it would really be practical on were the Looe branch (again, after the cessation of the Winter Sunday service) or the Fowey branch, if the necessary dispensations and derogations could be obtained.

We also (or rather, I urged them to) looked at the option of entraining in the former MoD camp at Long Marston and running down to Honeybourne (newly-redoubled) and back, but the only other branch line on the NR network to see the steam railmotor so far has been the Brentford branch.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. I'm not sure they work at all TBH.

Think ive written similar before about weed killer, but with the litigious society we now live in, it'll take a very brave man to spray anything that does work on Network Rail infrastructure.

Think water courses, streams, rivers, neighbouring gardens etc etc.

Quite right, Gary, but you will be only too well aware of the eventual, logical conclusion to a policy of restricted or no spraying, or spraying with an ineffective agent, or doing it at the wrong time, weather or season-wise. You end up with weed-clogged infrastructure that, frankly, looks third world and certainly not 'world class'.

Lostwithiel, earlier this month - regular crew training trip:

post-57-0-15301900-1534582799.jpg

• Like 4

The new trains always seem to be a bit claustrophobic for the driver with just a rather small windscreen to peer through

Brian.

I was fortunate enough to be on the first 802 passenger run from Penzance to Exeter on Friday. There were five people in the rear cab and still plenty of space - it's probably big enough to get the refreshments trolley all the way to the driver.

The new trains always seem to be a bit claustrophobic for the driver with just a rather small windscreen to peer through

Brian.

Hi Brian,

The Cabs are very spacious, the drivers love them:

post-7271-0-15014500-1534691919_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-47266400-1534691973_thumb.jpg

We had about 8 in the cab during a visit to North Pole last year, and it didn't feel cramped. The internal cab door is very wide and there is a lot of space behind the driver, the only thing is that I think the external cab doors are very slightly on the narrow side.

Not long before the new signalling between Truro and St. Erth is commissioned...

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 5

Brian.

We are sat miles back from the windscreen, in fact we are slightly behind the side windows which as you say could be a bit bigger, they have covered them in a film so they blend in with the livery which means we cant see much out of them even though we have to stop with the marker board in the window.

Well, that's OK then, as long as the priorities are right.

gets my vote!  :jester:

I reckon I should be able to get about 15 suitcases in there, lets be honest, there isnt anywhere else to put them and the 'holiday' trains are going to struggle next summer.

• Like 1

I was fortunate enough to be on the first 802 passenger run from Penzance to Exeter on Friday. There were five people in the rear cab and still plenty of space - it's probably big enough to get the refreshments trolley all the way to the driver.

I wouldnt consider that to be fortunate!  :jester:

Hi Brian,

The Cabs are very spacious, the drivers love them:

Do we?

We cant see the VCB or line lights because they are not angled towards us (ATP speedo could be angled a bit as well), the other lights are quite dim even on their brightest setting, we cant see out of the side windows because of the film on them (that is being addressed), we are too high off the floor so we cant reach our bags if we leave them on the floor, saying that, other than that it is very well laid out with most things within easy reach, it is also very quiet, we just need to teach the 'cabin' crew not to hold the button in too long when making PA announcements, we dont need to hear the calling pattern and we are not interested if the trolley is making its way down the train unless it is bringing us a cup of tea (never had one yet).

Overall it is a very nice place to be with just a few niggling bits, but then nothing is ever perfect is it!

Edit-

if you drop a drivers key there is a gap just big enough for it to fall in beside the DSD pedal but not big enough for us to get our fingers in to fish it out, ask me how I know! .

A question, what is that grey, sloping bit beside the PBC, just behind the key slot for?

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1