KERNOW TODAY

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from a few days break in (mostly) sunny Cornwall - managed to have a quick look at the local rail activity and grab a few snaps.

HST with power car 43174 leading prepares to leave Penzance with the 16.00 to Paddington on Tuesday 4th September. 

42731603930_a84b53f150_h.jpg

42731603220_cc9bdc5e3f_h.jpg

43137 Newton Abbot 150 on the rear. Strange to think the full length HSTs will soon be a thing of the past.

30670561198_53d8d8ce68_h.jpg

A quick visit to Long Rock later in the afternoon with 08 410 basking in the sunshine.

30670587218_5c2761beec_h.jpg

I hadn't seen this gleaming barrier coach? no. 6348 before.

42731602470_d2ed79e68c_h.jpg

Unhelpfully the 57 for that night's sleeper service was still tucked away in the shed and with no number on the front no way of telling which one it was.

30670585508_67b29f567d_h.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 11

This was 604. The traditional GWR green rather than the new version may not easily have been seen under shed lighting. The black snowploughs, red bufferbeams and brass rooflamp surround and no cab end number all unique to 604 gives it away though - plus i was on duty at the time !

Edited by Co-tr-Paul
  • Like 2

This was 604. The traditional GWR green rather than the new version may not easily have been seen under shed lighting. The black snowploughs, red bufferbeams and brass rooflamp surround and no cab end number all unique to 604 gives it away though - plus i was on duty at the time !

Thanks for the information Paul. I seem to remember heated debates from trainspotting days in the 70s as to whether, if you saw a loco but couldn't get the number but someone later told you what it was, could you still count it as a cop? If I was still trainspotting I would take your information as a definite and it would go in the book!

'

Not quite Kernow Today but a few more from last weeks trip. No need for expert inside knowledge to identify 57 605 'Totnes Castle' as it pauses at Hayle with the down sleeper on Thursday 6th September.

30667684808_9e5edaaa40_h.jpg

And then accelerates away over Hayle viaduct on the last few miles of it's long journey.

43819733734_0a430489ed_h.jpg

Shortly after an unidentified GWR liveried Class 43 leads the 07.41 Penzance to Paddington over Hayle viaduct.

43819722394_d47b865d20_h.jpg

Another GWR liveried power car 43042 leaves Hayle station on the rear of the 07.55 departure to Paddington. Only one other GWR liveried carriage in the train.

43819713794_97426683b2_h.jpg

Another 15 minutes saw the arrival of the next down train. Unidentified (but who cares) Class 220 Voyager on the late running 06.28 Plymouth to Penzance. September 6th 2018.

30667660188_cf50ab82d7_h.jpg

No more trains for a while so I took the opportunity to explore the Hayle Wharf branch. Just 36 years too late - not much to see now I'm afraid!43819700004_020284036f_h.jpg

But the swing bridge which took the branch across the Copperhouse Pool is still in good condition and would make an interesting model.

43819698204_6642fbedc5_h.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mikeyh
  • Like 10

Thanks for the information Paul. I seem to remember heated debates from trainspotting days in the 70s as to whether, if you saw a loco but couldn't get the number but someone later told you what it was, could you still count it as a cop? If I was still trainspotting I would take your information as a definite and it would go in the book!

Cheers,

Mike

I wasn't born back then but personally i would count it as a cop because you took a photo of it to prove you have seen it plus it is the only 57/6 to carry that livery and the only one to have certain unique/identifiable variations on it. But on the other hand if i took a photo of a GWR HST with vinyl (GWR) logos on without catching the number i wouldn't count it as a cop due to there being more of them.

Samuel.

Hi

As I understand it from the guy I was speaking to last November 4 wheel wagons are a no no for newbuild......

This is due to either rail or similar regulations that all new build must be bogie wagons......

He did say that the JIA's could be used except for as stated above the unloading facilities....

Specifically designed for the CDA's back in the day.....

As I see it.....

The problem is are there any HAA's around in good enough nick to be converted.....or similar wagons....& at what cost to who......

Or who pays for new wagons & a new unloading facility

Or do the Cornish minor roads get clogged with more Articulated lorries.....

The guy certainly reckoned that rail was a better option as 38 CDA's at a time could be unloaded a lot quicker & more efficiently than the equivalent delivered by lorry....

Hopefully the right decision is made for the future & not just short term economics take over.....

Cheers Bill

The problem is that Fowey is a dead-end, meaning wagons need to end up on a traverser so they can be moved to the empties siding after unloading. If you increase the size of the wagon you're using, you also need a bigger traverser. There's room to do this, since there's two traversers, one behind the other, which could be combined into one. However this system with the traverser is really inefficient and probably wouldn't be much better than with the CDAs.

Their best option would be to be to build a hopper unloading chute in the wagon sidings, and add new conveyors to take this clay to the existing conveyor system. This would allow a locomotive to pull an entire train of hoppers over the chute, run around the empty train, rinse and repeat. The other option would be to remanufacture the CDA fleet. The third option would be to abandon the Fowey rail entirely and just use trucks, but that wouldn't exactly make much since given how much money they spent on Rocks.

Hi

I see class 158's are back in Cornwall......

Thought I saw one a couple of days ago but one passed me as I was waiting at the traffic lights outside Tesco Extra at Pool yesterday at 5'ish....

Couldn't get a number as it caught me by surprise.....

Is this a temporary thing or more permanent allocation as other units are transferred away ?

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I see class 158's are back in Cornwall......

Is this a temporary thing or more permanent allocation as other units are transferred away ?

Cheers Bill

Supposedly permanent.  But things change as often as the Cornish breeze.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just seen the Flying Scotsman go past Pool. Huge numbers of people out to watch it and associated traffic fun and games. I was surprised there were so many out given the weather. 

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the Flying Scotsman go past Pool. Huge numbers of people out to watch it and associated traffic fun and games. I was surprised there were so many out given the weather.

The timings have been removed from the UK Steam site

"at the request of Steam Dreams".

I would have thought it's a bit late for that.

They've been up there for a couple of days,

and the local paper has been publishing

the times for the last week.

I see from another site that this morning's

trip arrived at Penzance right time so assume

there were no (serious) trespass problems.

• RMweb Premium

The timings have been removed from the UK Steam site

"at the request of Steam Dreams".

I would have thought it's a bit late for that.

They've been up there for a couple of days,

and the local paper has been publishing

the times for the last week.

I see from another site that this morning's

trip arrived at Penzance right time so assume

there were no (serious) trespass problems.

Times were widely published so as you say taking them down at the last minute was bolting the door after the horse had bolted. From my observations people were choosing sensible places to watch from. 

• RMweb Premium

The timings were live on RTT as was the running so even removing the timings from a web site would have made no difference.  The fact that I was able to watch in "virtual reality" from 300 miles away and direct friends to head out in the rain with just a couple of minutes to spare rather than stand lineside for ages in hope is a factor of the electronic age.  It would appear there was no problem.  It might be that the poor weather kept the worst of the potential offenders away.  

But either way the timings have been common knowledge for a while and were being shared openly across social media yesterday and this morning.

• RMweb Premium

I was working this morning so was unable to view, there were no actual times up on rtt site when i checked at 10.30 ,was hoping to pop out!

Times went up rather intermittently. 

• RMweb Premium

Times went up rather intermittently.

That seems to be normal through Cornwall. I have had it suggested to me that the reason is single-source data not necessarily updated immediately whereas many areas have multiple-source data which updates almost in real time.

I think it is doing a run from Plymouth to Par this evening 17:00 out of Plymouth, I cant really tell what is on the front with all the ECS movements around Plymouth.

Not the best timing for a scenic trip which will be dark in a few hours and the weather doesn't help either.  What with no turns at StB and presumably tucked in behind the diesel, there's probably more than a few disappointed passengers aboard tonight. :sad_mini:

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

From what I've seen on various Facebook pages, the Roskear to Truro capacity improvements (my bit :) )are commissioning over this weekend.

I should go back done their and just check everything has been installed as I told them to!

Simon

• Like 1

Hi,

From what I've seen on various Facebook pages, the Roskear to Truro capacity improvements (my bit :) )are commissioning over this weekend.

I should go back done their and just check everything has been installed as I told them to!

Simon

Yes it starts tomorrow, the new signals are being commissioned over this weekend (hence the closure from Truro) and just for good measure all the old signal numbers (which we pretty much know off by heart) have been changed for no apparent reason other than to give us a lot more learning to do.

Still they gave us all a nice little booklet with pretty pullout pictures with all the signals (and their new numbers) on so that is okay isnt it.

• Like 2