Problem Trying To Pay Shapeways

Hi all

I have started getting a problem when trying to pay Shapeways using a Card for payment, has anyone else experienced any problems with them while trying to make a payment?

My card has been checked by my bank and there are no blocks or problems with it or my account usually it's fine but this week I have had a problem, when I put the number in the system recognizes the card type and i have used this card since Dec 2014 without problem with Shapewayes until now.

I contacted Shapeways and all I got back is it's your card or billing address that's incorrect it's not our website try again so I did ten times with the same result every time, so I emailed them back and told them I have tried several times and have heard nothing from them.

Has any one else had troubles similar to this with Shapeways?

post-6665-0-11182300-1437654947_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-76625500-1437654951_thumb.jpg

Pete

I always use Paypal, and I thought that also handled the cards as well. I did have a problem earlier this year, because part of the paypal system was not working, and my reserve payment system was my credit card. A bit of a pain, because I then had to pay that off . I keep the card for emergencies only. I paid for some new items today , and as far as I can tell the paypal system worked OK.

These days I would expect all payment systems to handle international orders. I have had similar problems when ordering items from USA, but suspect that was because the company did not supply overseas, so payment system only accepted US payments.

In this case I suspect it might be a bug in the system, and it is dropping through to USA processing. I am not over enamoured with much of today's IT. There is too much assumption, and not enough thinking about what might go wrong. Always better to double check, even when the client/analyst swears blind something will never happen. They are not usually the one called up to fix something in the middle of the night.

• RMweb Gold

have you cleared and manually re-entered the card details or are you relying on their system memory?

Have you tried clearing all cookies in relation to that site and going to it by entering the site address into your browser to ensure a "clean" page

Have you tried calling your card provider to check they haven't suspended authorisation for some reason.

All of these solutions have at one time or another worked for me to clear similar problems

Hi all

I have started getting a problem when trying to pay Shapeways using a Card for payment, has anyone else experienced any problems with them while trying to make a payment?

I had a similar problem ordering stuff with a Visa card - the bank even rang later to say payment had been refused due to "irregularities" and they wanted to check if the payment request was legit. As it happened I had switched to a MasterCard and that payment went through without any problem.

Since Dec 2014 when I received the card I have made about 60 purchases with it at Shapeways using there direct payment method so for it suddenly to stop working on there site is very unusual.

Which is why there is a problem with there site and not my card.

+

There are no charges paying with PayPal and you can select the source you

want to charge, Bank, Credit Cards and PayPal's own Credit Account - just

record them with your details. Monies can be deposited and withdrawn without

charge, In the US there is the facility of a Debit Card in US Dollars.

Paying with Paypal does the currency exchanges on the charge, when any

currency balance is insufficient

Bill Bedford's problem of filling a suitable form can be easily overcome by

arranging to pay to their e-mail address - the original idea for PayPal's

business.

I have had it for over 10 years, and between currencies it's a no-brainer

My Bank has checked my Card and that is fine, and I have paid through PayPal using my Card for the order I needed to place.

The problem I have is why I'm suddenly not able to pay using Shapeway's own direct pay system that I have been using with my current card since Dec 2014 nothing else just that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have you talked to Shapeways about this? They have been updating their software lately.

Agree with Bill, best bet is talk to the actual company. They might not realise there is a problem and think it's all working fine (possible limited scope with their testing). They'll never know to be able to fix it if you don't tell them. Just hope you don't get a non-techie customer service person answering your query though, that is very frustrating. Been there, very frustrating try to tell them their pre-canned answer is no use!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

I haven't used Shapeways web site so I may be talking rubbish, but...

On your screenshot there is an option selected for: New card.

And there is an option unticked for Save card information for future orders

If on a previous order you ticked that box, your card is now in their system, and declaring it again as a new card is not going to work. Try de-selecting the New card option.

regards,

Martin.

Bill

That is one thing I mentioned in post #1

Martin

The new card option come up when you have selected payment buy card.

I never save my card detail with a company due to the possibility of the company being hacked and my info and or identity being stolen, which I have had happen before.

I still have not heard back from Shapeways and I will need to place another order with them soon so I will see if they have sorted the problem when I place the order.

Pete

Shapeways have other technical problems today. Frustrating, but pleased I created my own webpage to show my items. Something I would suggest to anyone with items on Shapeways .

That aside, I have heard of stories where card payments are randomly picked up, so you have to then contact bank to sort it out.This is part of the testing/security procedure.  This might be the case.

Something else that would trigger this is paying for things like petrol, with card before getting petrol. These systems put through an initial payment request for a penny, and apparently this can trigger security programs . It is a trick also used by fraudsters, so when a large payment is then requested the banks refuse it. Paypal now use a authorisation system, which probably complicates things. The money would be authorized to be paid, but only gets paid when Shapeways confirm printing. It was their way of not having to give credit notes for this.

I assumed Shapeways just linked to Paypal to take payments,. I think there is the facility in effect to run an online shop through paypal. I have noticed this with some of our traders online. My point is that assuming Shapeways are not the one processing card details, that is paypal.

From my experience working for some banks in IT, the approval system is possibly based on the direct debit system. A request for payment is made from Shapeways, and payment will go through automatically. If there is a problem Shapeways would contact paypal again.

Archived