Rapido's first charter (and other news)

rapidotrains

Hi guys,

Sorry I have not been posting much lately.  We've been working our tushies off (it's a North American term - look it up) with numerous product launches over on this side of the pond as well as developing our UK model range.

Here's our latest North American newsletter:

http://www.rapidotrains.com/rapidonews70.html

We're arranging our first charter for October. Charters are not common over here. We're heading to Montreal for a big product launch at the Exporail, the Canadian Railway Museum, and we're getting a dome car.  That should be fun!  Wouldn't it be nice to ride a dome car on a UK charter?  We can send our car there - it will take out every platform edge, bridge and tunnel in the UK, but it would be worth it.

We're getting started on a UK newsletter which should be out in the next two weeks.  We're already planning for Warley and the usual round-the-UK tour that preceeds it. I'm thinking Heathrow to Birmingham via Norwich, Plymouth, Blackpool, Carlisle, and Inverness.....

Well what can I do?  Your country is so wee that I can't resist travelling all around it each time I come.   :derisive:

-Jason

• RMweb Premium

See if you can get up to the top of the country, Thurso is a good ride out, and you might be able to pop in on Ben Alder of this parish, and get some ideas for a range of decent scottish steamers..... wink-wink.

Andy G

See if you can get up to the top of the country, Thurso is a good ride out, and you might be able to pop in on Ben Alder of this parish, and get some ideas for a range of decent scottish steamers..... wink-wink.

Andy G

Jason likes Whiskey.  I'd suggest a trip to Inverness with stops at Tomatin, Aviemore (for a lovely Caledonian 0-6-0 i want a Rapido quality model of) and Dahlwinnie on the way back doon south!!

In related news to Jasons post, my wife and I are booked on the Rapido to Montreal in October, so we will no doubt post many pictures and a full report on the trip and major North American product announcement being made at Exporail that weekend (and maybe pictures of me geeking out with Dominion of Canada!)

Stephen

Having just done a wee tour around Scotland, I can certainly recommend it. My LRC shuttle had a great time:

How about a trip to Stirling Castle:

post-15098-0-25687000-1437808387_thumb.jpg

Visit the Maileg line via steam train and see the Harry Potter viaduct:

post-15098-0-22540000-1437808487_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-18084200-1437808543_thumb.jpg

Or the Forth Bridge (the LRC is wearing it's rain proof coat in this image)

post-15098-0-38543600-1437808633_thumb.jpg

Did someone mention Whisky?

post-15098-0-37728900-1437808765_thumb.jpg

Or what about the best Hot Chocolate in the world at cocoa mountain?

post-15098-0-83496300-1437808829_thumb.jpg

So much to do and you will not need sun cream!

Surely that would be Whisky, being the finer quality stuff??

A visit to the twelve men of Tain is not to be missed.

Andy G

Ha, regional spelling differences for Whisky/Whiskey, if i was being technically correct, i'd have said that Jason likes Scotch, but i was too busy enjoying a dram of 15 year old Glengoyne to end a long work week rather than being picky about regional spelling choices :P

I think we can all agree that any trip that takes Jason north of Hadrian's Wall must include a visit to somewhere that turns water and grains into Single Malt through distillation!!

Stephen

"Scotch" is always whisky though, no "e." And yes, if Jason likes it he should definitely take some time out to visit a few distilleries.

Love the shot of the Forth Bridge.

Glad someone corrected Stephen for me... I was about to!

But my all-time favourite whisky on the planet is Welsh..... my dearest Penderyn.  

I think they also forego the "e" down there in the Valleys....

-Jason

(If I ever move back to the UK it will be to Wales, boyo.)

Glad someone corrected Stephen for me... I was about to!

But my all-time favourite whisky on the planet is Welsh..... my dearest Penderyn.  

I think they also forego the "e" down there in the Valleys....

-Jason

(If I ever move back to the UK it will be to Wales, boyo.)

Just spent a week's 'summer' holiday in the heart of Snowdonia. At this time of year it's 'Rained-on-ya'. Plenty of water to make (or worse, dilute) your whisky. Some very nice Garratts that would make nice RTR models........

Surely that would be Whisky, being the finer quality stuff??

A visit to the twelve men of Tain is not to be missed.

Andy G

And since you will be passing within a quarter mile of me en route to Tain, I can introduce you to the Teanninich and Dalmore distilleries too - and provide a cuppa if you'd prefer!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's our latest North American newsletter:

http://www.rapidotrains.com/rapidonews70.html

Jason,

I will be sorry to miss the opportunity to say 'hello' to you and Bill while you are in Portland at the end of the month. Somehow I have managed to schedule two weeks holiday (out of the country) while the National Train Show is on. Rather poor planning on my part as it turns out.

I hope you enjoy Portland - you should be able to find plenty of vegan/vegetarian choices in restaurants here, though I do have to say that the Expo Center is a dump - at least the old building where the train shows usually end up is. The newer halls are better. I hope you guys have a great show.

Archived