Heritage lines with Mainline links

MatthewEWS

Yes, absolutely. Wasn't the issue a bridge somewhere on the line from  Norwich to Cromer?

In recent weeks I've seen a Hymek diesel and a GW tank crawl up the hill past my house on a low loader, so I'm wondering if it's actually easier and cheaper to use road than get the permissions in place to use Network Rail and the temporary crossing over the High Street?

Still a bonus to have the crossing, I'm certainly not saying it was pointless, just sadly underused.

Unfortunately the Hymek and the GWR tank aren't mainline certified.

There have been at least two specials over the crossing - Cromwell brought one in to open it, and Tangmere brought one in for the Titfield Thunderbolt gala.

The NNR have ambitions to run dining trains to Cromer at some stage in the future. 

IIRC the reason that the Sherringham connection isn't used more is due to conditions attached to it's reinstatement.   As far as I remember there were problems with having a proper level crossing at that location so the connection had some sort of planning condition attached to it limiting the number of moves per year.

Jamie

That makes sense Jamie. Any move over the crossing requires volunteers placing temporary plastic barriers across the roadway and the pick up/drop off car parking spaces at the Network Rail station need to be closed 24 hours prior to the move as the railway line runs right through them. The High Street itself is effectively closed to traffic for a good 10 minutes prior to the move and usually for 5 minutes after the move which causes bus and taxi chaos and makes entry to or exit from the main car park almost impossible. I can understand why the council wouldn't want that every weekend... a proper crossing with lights and barriers would no doubt have been astronomically expensive and just not justifiable.

Edited by Pete 75C

It would seem a definite asset to be main line connected.

Brian

Not as much as you'd think. Virtually no heritage rolling stock travels via the national network these days. Special through trains and track maintenance vehicles on hire are the only uses.

Gone are the days of buying a rusting hulk from Barry greasing the axles and dragging it 200 miles across the country.

• RMweb Premium

I think that NYMR, West Somerset and Severn Valley have all received ballast and possibly other materials by rail.   ISTR that the KWVR has had tampers etc using the connection to get onto their rails for training purposes.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Do any of the above receive coal or ballast via the national network?

Didcot has to receive just about everything large by rail as it is a 'rail locked' site with only pedestrian access, the GWS has several mainline registered wagons as a result.  The West Somerset effectively receives some ballast/hardcore as it has a ballast reclamation site adjacent which is fed by regular trainload movements of spent ballast from NR.

• RMweb Gold

Specials to Sheringham would be complicated by the reversal at Cromer.

Ed

Wiki (yeah yeah) says not more than twelve times a year including stock moves.

Quite agree with that view of the source Ed but a limit of 12 times per annum does sound quite feasible - i.e. you have permission to do it (subject to certain conditions) but the number of occasions must not exceed, blah, blah, blah etc.

The Bluebell used theirs to remove a large amount of waste from a tip that had been created on part of the formation, when they were reconnecting the two sections.

• Agree 1

The Dean Forest Railway's mainline link has been used for railtours off the network, transfer of locos (with a mainline fitness to run) to other preserved lines (Class 31 and 73 currently away)  and more recently, movement of tampers and ballast regulators onto the DFR for training purposes.

Of note, last year a DCR Class 56 was travelling on the main line light engine and became low on coolant water. He dropped into the loop at Lydney and ran onto the DFR at Lydney Junction to top up. Hosepipe and mug of tea was organised, loco filled and the suitably refreshed loco and driver went away. All whilst the DFR was running a standard steam service!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Mid Norfolk has recently received a supply of ballast by rail from Whitemoor, and has been used by track maintenance companies as a training exercise for their machines.  It is also used occasionally when it is necessary to transfer rolling stock by road to or from Crown Point depot (Norwich) as there is no suitable road access to the depot.  In earlier years, it was used by MoD traffic to and from Dereham, but I don't think that's happened for quite a while now.  The locos and stock which attend their galas also often use the main line connection, e.g. the West Coast Railway locos which come to their steam galas.

• Agree 1

Didcot has to receive just about everything large by rail as it is a 'rail locked' site with only pedestrian access, the GWS has several mainline registered wagons as a result.  The West Somerset effectively receives some ballast/hardcore as it has a ballast reclamation site adjacent which is fed by regular trainload movements of spent ballast from NR.

Though, before anyone gets too excited about the idea of long-distance movements of coal to Didcot, the transfer is between the nearest bit of road-accesible land (near the big car park) and the shed. This is probably about 200-300m. The wagons, though lettered GW, are a pair of ex-BR Ferry Opens, which just shows that you should never take everything you see at preservation sites at face value. They also have a 4-wheeled well wagon for moving other items.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The West Somerset Railway uses part of it's site for spent ballast recovery. They have also seen trains delivering rock armour for coastal defence work at Minehead. In it's early days they Bodmin and Wenford railway tripped wagons for a speed link service to a lighting company. 

Swanage Railway has received Ballast via their connection to the National Network:

However, the train didn't exactly go as far as Swanage Railway. The rail link between the National Network and Norden (Swanage Railway's most Easterly station) is about 5 miles long, and as part of Project Wareham, received Ballast where needed.

One problem with running regular Heritage trains to Wareham, is that it would require the use of Wareham's down-line platform, since Swanage's Bay-Platform at Wareham has long since gone, and is now a car park. 

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

One problem with running regular Heritage trains to Wareham, is that it would require the use of Wareham's down-line platform, since Swanage's Bay-Platform at Wareham has long since gone, and is now a car park. 

Regards,

Matt

A couple of sidings with a run-round loop have been upgraded, and set aside in the old goods yard, ready for use when required. Right next to the DCC Social Services Purbeck Day Centre.

The West Somerset Railway uses part of it's site for spent ballast recovery. They have also seen trains delivering rock armour for coastal defence work at Minehead.

I know on at least one occasion a 45XX(?) had to be despatched to rescue a 37 on an EWS stone train which had stuck on one of the gradients!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We took the Brit on to the WSR on Saturday, just as far as Bishops Lydeard where 3850 took the train over for the run to Minehead while we serviced 70000.

Apparently when the run is repeated in two weeks time 70000 is going to take the train all the way to Minehead.

• RMweb Premium

I doubt any receive coal from the national network - as far as I know the only coal left on the national network is for power stations and steel works.

Several have received ballast or other civil engineering materials (or had them removed). During the building and subsequent upgrading of the Metrolink tram between Bury and Manchester, Buckley Wells shed on the ELR was used as a staging post between the national network and the tram network with three or four EWS 08s shunting the incoming and outgoing trains.

Is the ELR unique in having/had two rail links to the national network? I'm sure there was/is a rail link between Metrolink and the mainline network on the approach to Manchester Vic.

Heavy rail cranes also make use of links to the national network.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

Specials to Sheringham would be complicated by the reversal at Cromer.

Ed

Wiki (yeah yeah) says not more than twelve times a year including stock moves.

Likewise although the Bodmin and Wenford is mainline linked the number of moves involved to get from the mainline to their running line makes accommodation of mainline specials nigh on impossible.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if the Dartmoor Railway can be classed as a preserved railway but the DEMU they run is and Okehmapton station is preserved.

This must be one of the few lines where trains off the National Rail network run through at speed onto the line just past the site of Coleford Junction.