UTA Railcars No.6 & 7

kirley

After the AEC Railcars the UTA developed their own version in the form of Railcar No. 6 & 7 which became the forerunners of the MED’s, see Colm Flanagan’s excellent book ‘Diesel Dawn’ which denotes a chapter to their development.

Allen Doherty (Worsley Works) has agreed to do etches for these Railcars but is hampered by the lack of clear photographs which gave the detail he requires, the drawing in existence is quite basic.

I’ve had some help in this regard but need photographs showing a side view of the Railcars with the valances still attached because as time went on these were discarded.

Any clear photographs would be most appreciated.  

Hi Kieran

Norman Johnston's 'Austerity Ulster - Photos from the UTA Archives 1' has two B&W pics, one a platform shot showing most of the LH side of 6, the other a high front 3/4 shot of the set, both taken when on test on the Larne Line in July 1951. The second shot is useful mostly for roof vent layouts and the first, not showing anything below platform level, for the detail of the upper bodyside panelling, which was such that the gaps between the actual windows looked not unlike boarded-up or painted-over windows, at least when close.

Threre is on p.34 of Derek Young's indispensible 'UTA in Colour' a reasonably good ground level colour pic of the 3-car set at York Road in 1954, with the valences painted black and intact apart from the centre panel(s), over the engines presumably. In Tom Ferris's 'Irish Railways in Colour' (#1) on p.22 there is a similar colour pic of the full set at Whitebbey in 1957, again wih most of the valences in place.

I'm not sure if these pics show anything of the valences which you won't be able to make out with a magnifying glass from the pic on p.66 of 'Diesel Dawn', which reveals good details of the panel lines and the various little slots or holes in the valences, when complete.

Good luck with the set - really looking forward to seeing it!

Ivor

Unfortunately, the pictures Ivor refers to don't show any useable views of the valances. However, as he says, one pic shows useful roof detail, the other is a close up of the side panelling detail. Interestingly, 6 & 7 feature in a book on British Railway Coaching Stock, and are referred to as the only known instance of a 'panelled DMU'. Unfortunately, once again, the valances are missing in the picture used.

Kirley,

I can't help you beyond what has already been suggested but I'm interested in the fact that Allen will do commissions.

Is it possible that he will do the GNR 700 series BUT railcars (the double ended ones)?

Or even, Railcar B from the Sligo, Leitrim.......

Best of luck and hope to see more progress on your AEC railcars.

Cheers,

Glover

Allen has completed the drawings for Railcars No 6 & 7 and they are away to be etched.  My next request to him will be the BUT's both single and Double Cabs.  If you have access to detailed drawings and or clear close up photographs they would be of great help.  You might consider an email to him expressing an interest in the BUT's as the more people express an interest the quicker he will look at doing them, (it took a while to get the UTA Railcars to the drawing stage).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived