O Gauge Wagon Kit

• RMweb Premium

Slaters wagon kits are a good starting point. They generally go together well and have everything that you need except glue and paint. A standard van or mineral wagon would look the part with the 08.

Hi just wondering if anyone can tell me a good wagon kit for a person new to O Gauge. Looking at something from the BR blue period to go with my Dapol 08 when it eventually comes out.

Gary

Hi Gary

Welcome to O gauge - have you considered joining the Gauge O Guild?

They have a lively forum with lots of help and advice available and an excellent magazine - the Gazette - issued quarterly.

The website also has access to all previous issues of the Gazette that can be searched for articles or reviews.

http://www.gauge0guild.com

You may also consider looking at Parkside Dundas kits - have a look at their website:

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk

You will enjoy modelling in the larger scale - even though it is much more addictive than the 2mm or 4mm scales - don't say you were not warned!

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

I would second the suggestions above, they are both good makes.   Just one tip about Slater's.  I find if best to detail the ends with buffers and couplings before assembling the kit as it can be tricky when assembled.   After that they virtually fall together.

Jamie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies,  

Will look at ordering a wagon soon.  

With the O gauge guild do you have many international members , I'm based in Australia so most things I order will be mail order.  After I have built a few wagons will look at track!  My running area will be outside as no room inside, Which is one of the reasons I'm getting into O gauge.

Gary

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies,  

Will look at ordering a wagon soon.  

With the O gauge guild do you have many international members , I'm based in Australia so most things I order will be mail order.  After I have built a few wagons will look at track!  My running area will be outside as no room inside, Which is one of the reasons I'm getting into O gauge.

Gary

Hi Gary,

There are definitely some Australian members (not sure how many though) and the Guild also has an overseas rep.

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gary,

There are definitely some Australian members (not sure how many though) and the Guild also has an overseas rep.

Alan.

They also have regular reports from Australia.  With a section known as VicGog that's based in Victoria.

Jamie

Hi,

There are I believe around 500 overseas members with around 100 of these in Australia.   Overseas Area rep John Drago works hard at keeping overseas members in touch. As well as the Vicgog group already mentioned there is an Aus7 Modellers Group based in Sydney and there may be more.

best wishes,

Ian

Scottish Area Rep GOG

Well I have ordered the Parkside Dundas Grampas, So now just to wait for it to arrive.   Any tips on building it?   Also what track would people recommend?

Hi Gary

The Grampus kit goes together very well.  The main change that I make is to replace the plastic rod for the brake cross bar with 1mm brass rod.  Don't forget that it will need some weight in addition to the plastic mouldings.  For detailing and finishing Paul Bartlett generously makes available a great selection of photos on his website here:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagons

Here is one of mine:

post-5673-0-51843300-1438345093_thumb.jpg

I think most Antipodean modellers use Peco  track as it seems to be easier to source locally.  If you want to build your own points (much cheaper than ready made and you can have any geometry) to match then the Peco components can be used and are (at UK prices) cheaper than alternatives.

Regards.

Archived