Glasgow Queen Street N gauge

mjkerr

Minor update to website Rolling Stock section 
Reduces the number of photos and converted into a list instead 
Due to the quantity of Class 37 and Class 47 locos, they now have their own sub-menu (where the photos now reside) 
47706 now added to the Class 47 fleet (one step closer to covering all 47/7) 

Batch 6 of the Class 47 projects should arrive by the end of April 2017 
Every push-pull rake will then have a 47/7, plus one spare 
Every rake of Inverness coaches can then have two locos, allowing for a good mix of BR Blue, Large Logo Blue, InterCity ScotRail, and some unique Inverness / Eastfield liveries throughout the late 1980s and early 1990s

Edited by mjkerr
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Batch 6 of the Class 47 projects should arrive by the end of April 2017

Finally managed to read through my eMails from last week, looks like this batch will not be completed until the end of May 2017 

The previous batch of adjustments is also late, was due to arrive at the end of March 2017 

I was hoping to have the "final" batch of locomotives completed by December 2017, but this is not looking likely now 

I have also decided to remove all the light bars, from the Dapol rolling stock 

As much as I like them in dim lighting conditions, the Farish models then become obvious in comparison

I have also decided to remove all the light bars, from the Dapol rolling stock 

As much as I like them in dim lighting conditions, the Farish models then become obvious in comparison

Can you not add lighting to the Farish coaches so they're all got it?

The forthcoming issue of the NGS Journal (3/17) has an article about adding coach lighting with various options.

G.

Can you not add lighting to the Farish coaches so they're all got it?

There is not much point at the moment, awaiting the "new" Farish Mark 2E/F coach 

It would appear the DBSO will not have directional lighting, so that will be the only modification made

There is not much point at the moment, awaiting the "new" Farish Mark 2E/F coach 

It would appear the DBSO will not have directional lighting, so that will be the only modification made

Presumably you already have unlit Farish coaches (as you mention they are obvious in comparison) that you could add lighting to now and then when the 2e/fs arrive undertake adding it to them. At least the workload would be spread. 

G.

Presumably you already have unlit Farish coaches (as you mention they are obvious in comparison) that you could add lighting to now and then when the 2e/fs arrive undertake adding it to them. At least the workload would be spread.

The Rolling Stock list would pretty much confirm this, with the mix of Mark 1, Mark 2, Mark 2C, Mark 2D, Mark 2E and Mark 2F coaches, along with Class 101

The previous batch of adjustments is also late, was due to arrive at the end of March 2017 

Turns out this batch was completed at the end of March, but no Invoice was received 

These four models should be with me by next week, and the Rolling Stock list has been updated to reflect this 

That now means all the original Mercig Studios conversions and are now complete

• Like 2

Finally, my first four Mercig Studios conversions have also now had Sound Decoders fitted

Now ALL Class 37 and Class 47 models match the same specification (well almost)

Sadly some small issues have been found in this batch when loaded into JMRI, but hopefully that can be resolved when the next batch of models arrive next month

Edit :

No need to panic

Computer Shutdown / restart

Compared the settings in 47546, which I had used as the template, to 47702 and found some discrepancies

Reset 47546 and then copied that into the four models, and the issue is resolved

All of the LokSound fitted Class 47 are now identical

Edited by mjkerr

• 4 weeks later...

Have you got any photos of the platforms or station buildings please?

No construction work has taken place, yet

I have had the platform kits for some time

There won't be any station buildings to allow clear views of the rolling stock

However, there will be the supporting bridge columns in Platforms 1/2 and 5/6

edit :

There will however be the edges of the "Operations Depot", the "office" at the ends of Platforms 4/5, and the black brick wall along the edge of Platform 7

Edited by mjkerr

• 1 month later...

The seventh batch, of my projects has now been completed by Mercig Studios, fourth of the Class 47/7

47701-A-side-700.jpg

47705-B-side-700.jpg

47707-B-side-700.jpg

47711-A-side-700.jpg

The previous batch included the first Class 47 with a flush end, 47702, and being happy with the results this batch was commissioned, which now gives four Class 47/7 with a flush end

The concerns I had over the rather generic nature of the models so far has been well addressed with these four examples, although the photos do not show all of the differences

Most noticeable are the black window surrounds on 47705 and 47711

This locomotive was unique in having the yellow extend under the cab doors

An oil streak on the B side and graduated dirt towards the Number 2 end, due to continuous use on push-pull duties

Severe weathering on the A side, not shown

Retained works plate at Number 1 end on the A side, and painted R5 brake block note on bufferbeam

Again, graduated dirt towards the Number 2 end

Edited by mjkerr
  • Like 5

Nice line up! You must have the entire scotrail class 47 fleet now.

How's the layout building coming along?

If I was completing the entire ScotRail Class 47 fleet, ED HA IS, I have some way to go!

1984 : 79

1986 : 97

1988 : 99

1990 : 51

However, if you mean the ScotRail Class 47/7 fleet, then I have just three (or four) to go

47713 (duplicates with 47717 already completed, so not likely to model 47713)

47703 and 47706 should be completed early next year

By the end of this year I should have 17 Class 47/4, which would be about 30% of the entire ScotRail Class 47 fleet

Eleven of these are IS based, so that is 50% of that fleet

Layout building has not changed, but I have three months coming up when I should be able to complete the main components (October to December, as work at Lucasfilm for that period has been cancelled)

I need to rewire the scenic section, due to the change from Lenz Set 100 to Sprog

I also have an issue with the DCC Concepts Accessory Decoders

Once that is completed the platforms will be constructed

I am also going to commission someone to complete the Operations Depot, so that it is as realistic looking as possible

Edited by mjkerr

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the majority of my Class 47/7 models are complete, I am now moving on to the next part of the fleet

Thankfully Farish have the Mark 2A TSO, and whilst not perfect it is a good representation of the (five) ScotRail livery Mark 2 coaches

Sadly it will mean one Blue Grey FK, but that too is readily available (yes, later rakes used one of the ScotRail livery air con Mark 2 coaches, but I want to keep the rake variable to time periods)

13424 X

I have plenty of photos of the rakes of the Mark 2 coaches, but no close ups

Any links to any of the above coaches would be welcomed and gratefully received

Edited by mjkerr

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A future batch will include one 37/4 in InterCity Mainline, likely to be 37402

Farish have just announced a Regional Railways Class 37/4

I had hoped for an InterCity Mainline, so that will most likely have to be a repaint but the Regional Railways can be used as a base

I might also add one final 37/4 in Distribution, as a few of them also carried this livery in Scotland

All three of these Class 37/4 have now been selected and should be completed this time next year (based on previous timescales)

37403 Triple Grey Distribution

37410 InterCity Mainline

37427 SCOTRAIL

A year is nothing in this hobby. It's taken me ten years to finish my rake of eight Anhydrous Ammonia tankers.

Equally, I swapped from OO gauge to N gauge, starting again in N gauge in 2010

I built up my first set of rolling stock over the next four years

I started building up the second set of rolling stock, for this layout, in 2014

This was suspended a few weeks later when the Farish ScotRail Class 47/7 and DBSO was announced

• 3 weeks later...

Reviewing the rolling stock for this layout, the best laid plans...

So sadly some departures

The BR Blue and Large Logo Blue Class 47/7, 47709 and 47712, and their respective Blue / Grey rakes do not fit in beside ScotRail, InterCity and INTERCITY livery, and Class 37/4 in Large Logo Blue / Triple Grey

There is no need for two HST, the Cross Country one only visited on Saturdays

With so many Class 37/4, no need for five Class 156, so reduced to three

Plenty of Class 47/4, so I can come back to this later, so eight disposed of