Traffic to Leith / Millerhill

Dungrange

I am looking to identify current / recent traffic to / from the Leith / Millerhill area that regularly travels to / from locations South of the Scottish Border, especially flows that are or could be regularly conveyed by the ‘Enterprise’ network.  My ultimate aim is to identify a plausible consist for a Carlisle to Millerhilll service if the Waverley Route had remained open, instead of closing in 1969.

I am therefore interested in ascertaining any additional details in relation to a number of flows which I don’t think operate any more.  In particular, what type and how many wagons are / were used and how frequently the flow operated?

1. In his book Railway Freight Operations (Ian Allan, 1999), Paul Shannon indicates that a flow of steel from Sittingbourne to Leith was an early user of the Transrail Enterprise network.  However, I’m unsure who produces steel in Kent, what type of steel product is this and what type of wagons are used?  All I have found is that in his book Rail Freight Since 1968: Wagonload (Silver Link Publishing, 2006), Paul Shannon indicates that a North Kent feeder service “conveyed steel and other traffic to and from the recently established Victa Railfreight terminal at Sittingbourne”.  As such, I would guess that this flow must have been finished products for distribution, but I’d be grateful if anyone confirm.

2. In the same book on Railway Freight Operations, Paul Shannon indicates that Fitzgerald Lighting returned to rail in 1996 with a flow of light fittings from Bodmin to Warrington Dallam and Leith.   However, in Rail Freight Since 1968: Wagonload he indicates that the distribution of Fitzgerald lighting products was a loss to the Enterprise network around 1999 / 2000.  I assume that this would be conveyed in vans, but can anyone advise as to what types were employed.

3. I understand that British Pipe Coaters (BPC) in Leith take or took delivery of pipes from Hartlepool, which would presumably arrive via the East Coast Mainline as block trains, but I am less clear on the output from BPC.  I assume that the coated pipes would also be conveyed in block trains but to a range of ever changing destinations throughout the UK?  In their book Freight Only Volume 3: Wales and Scotland (Silver Link Publishing, 1988), Michael Rhodes and Paul Shannon indicate that destinations from Leith include St. Neots, Grimsby and Southampton.  In his book Railway Freight Operations (Ian Allan, 1999), Paul Shannon indicates Bamber Bridge, Grantham, Yarwell and Immingham as destinations.  This would imply that any destination would be plausible.  I assume that in the 21st Century this traffic will typically use the BTA pipe wagon conversions from former BDA wagons 1997, but would other wagon types be used on this type of traffic – ie distribution of coated pipes?

4. In their book Freight Only Volume 3: Wales and Scotland (Silver Llink Publishing, 1988), Michael Rhodes and Paul Shannon indicate that in Speedlink days, Leith handled large quantities of palletised fertiliser from the Norsk Hydro terminal in Immingham.  I assume that this would be conveyed in vans and was lost as a result of the withdrawal of Speedlink in 1991.  In his book Railway Freight Operations (Ian Allan, 1999), Paul Shannon highlights that following successful trials for Hydro Agri in late 1998 regular flows started from Immingham to Alscott, Carmarthen, Carlisle and Lugton.  However, I note that Leith is absent from this list.  Has this traffic to Leith been lost permanently, or has the range of destinations from Immingham subsequently been expanded to include Leith once more?

There are probably several more flows that I have yet to uncover for a 'might have been', but the above is a starting point.  If anyone can point me in the direction of other flows, then let me know.  I’m aware that Nuclear traffic from Torness to Sellafield would likely have been routed via the Waverley route (if it still existed) and that timber traffic on the line would also be likely if the line had survived.  I am also aware of a current cement flow from Oxwellmains to Brunthill (Carlisle) and Infrastructure services between the Local Distribution Centres at Millerhill and Carlisle Kingsmoor.

Thanks for any assistance.

• RMweb Gold

Hi dave,

Youor starting place (now you have done all the books) is YouTube.

You need to use your imaginaton a bit as not all titles that are relevant are obvious!

Some suggestions

ECML Freight (use initials and full words)

Scottish Rail Freight

Scottish Speedlink 

Transrail Enterprise

Scottish Enterprise

Millerhill Freight

Should get you a good number of results!

From my own lineside experience in the 80's and 90's

Leith Pipes...

Could come as plain pipes and leave as coated pipes. On occasions they came as coated pipes to get an extra coat.

Outbound could be to anywhere! Going south I have noted Grimsby, Lowestoft, Doncaster, Peterborough. Going North I have mainly Aberdeen.

Thanks

Hi dave,

Youor starting place (now you have done all the books) is YouTube.

You need to use your imaginaton a bit as not all titles that are relevant are obvious!

Some suggestions

ECML Freight (use initials and full words)

Scottish Rail Freight

Scottish Speedlink 

Transrail Enterprise

Scottish Enterprise

Millerhill Freight

Should get you a good number of results!

From my own lineside experience in the 80's and 90's

Leith Pipes...

Could come as plain pipes and leave as coated pipes. On occasions they came as coated pipes to get an extra coat.

Outbound could be to anywhere! Going south I have noted Grimsby, Lowestoft, Doncaster, Peterborough. Going North I have mainly Aberdeen.

Thanks

90% of the pipes tpLeith came from Hartlepool, and ran as block trains.

Mike

2. In the same book on Railway Freight Operations, Paul Shannon indicates that Fitzgerald Lighting returned to rail in 1996 with a flow of light fittings from Bodmin to Warrington Dallam and Leith.   However, in Rail Freight Since 1968: Wagonload he indicates that the distribution of Fitzgerald lighting products was a loss to the Enterprise network around 1999 / 2000.  I assume that this would be conveyed in vans, but can anyone advise as to what types were employed.

AFAIK, the Fitzgerald traffic was always VGA vans.

HTH

Edit - Read the whole thread before posting!

Archived