Manchester ship canal railway

herman83

Possible, it depends on the loco.

Some one started a diorama / micro layout which was progressing nicely with a corrugated curved roof shed etc IIRC?

Just crying out for a Sentinel DH.

Unfortunately I cannot remember what it was called.

Gordon A

Bristol

I am considering a special commission from Hornby to do a j94 in the MSC light grey livery but just wanted to get a feel of demand. The ship canal had 3 austerity tanks known locally as the big engine's and is the only rtr steam model avaliable that the canal had.

I would consider the DJ models loco. I am really only trying to get a feel of possible demand. I have already spoken to Hornby and they want an order for 500 minimum.

I had a look on the dj model's website but couldn't find any contact details. (Although it was just a quick look)

From a quick image search online all I can see that would be available RTR is the WD 0-6-0ST, but I think Hornby are going to produce a rod drive Sentinel 0-4-0DH. Both would need repainting, so maybe not exactly "off the shelf".

I was surprised at how supportive Hornby have actually been with this.

Robday12. The msc sentinel locos were inside gear as per the current Hornby model. Also they were in the same blue as the Hornby model. All thats needed is some transfers.

And I would think DJM/Hattons would be interested in an MSC model whereas Hornby who are not renowned for commissions would not be.

Having spoken to DJM they cannot help me as I don't have a model shop. If I was to fo this I would be moving them through my ebay/online shop.

Robday12. The msc sentinel locos were inside gear as per the current Hornby model. Also they were in the same blue as the Hornby model. All thats needed is some transfers.

My mistake, just looked at the image again, it's a small pic and the way the light and shadows fall made it look like rod drive. oops!

Being brought up just a mile from the MSC railway and Trafford Park I've always been interested in it. Apollo's right about Don Thorpe's book, a must have.

Nice job on the Sentinel. I have a blue one myself to do.

Here's my light grey MSC Austerity, modified from the Dapol model several years ago.

post-6861-0-31980100-1438031141_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-52208700-1438031173_thumb.jpg

So yes, I'd be very interested in one.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 12

My mistake, just looked at the image again, it's a small pic and the way the light and shadows fall made it look like rod drive. oops!

Actually you were both, sort of, correct!  The 4 wheel Sentinels at the Manchester end of the Canal were indeed chain coupled but the 6 wheelers around Ellesmere Port were rod coupled.

Cheers,

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

The iconic MSC steam loco of choice would be the Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T in short or long tank options with the same chassis

The Hunslet 'Jazzer' had similar dimensions, examples of all 3 types being preserved. Agenoria did them as gauge 0 kits. RTR would be nice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/6014199098/in/photostream/

Dava

• Like 2

The iconic MSC steam loco of choice would be the Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T in short or long tank options with the same chassis

The Hunslet 'Jazzer' had similar dimensions, examples of all 3 types being preserved. Agenoria did them as gauge 0 kits. RTR would be nice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/6014199098/in/photostream/

Dava

Indeed!

I've had the great pleasure of driving one of these lovely HC 0-6-0T's, back in 2004 on the Avon Valley railway.

post-6892-0-70352100-1438078671.jpg

post-6892-0-32095500-1438078771.jpg

(that's me!)

I still need to get a (4mm) kit to build!

As to the OP, yeah! Why not - as long as it's a high spec model, NOT the old Dapol model, sorry.

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 4

hc1369%20msc%2067%20and%20hc680%20msc%20

A pair of HC 0-6-0T locos from MCS at the MSC gala held at Middleton Railway before 67 came out of ticket along with 32 the small tank.  67 is a Middleton home engine and I look forward to her joning the restoration queue.

hc%201369%20msc%2067%20middleton%20kw.jp

The other loco to visit at the gala was 4002 Arundle Castle - I have senn the other diesel of the same type as it's in storage in Lancashire just up the road from the East Lancs

hcd1076%20msc%204002%20arundle%20castle%

Taking these locos 67 and 70 are the same 32 was one of the smaller locos.  I wonder if it would be feasible for a 3D printed body to be placed onto one of the RTR mechanicals.

• Like 5