Manchester ship canal railway

herman83

• 2 weeks later...

Unsurprisingly The Transport Library has some interesting photos of the railway and its stock including coaches.  These two were both taken 1963 in Trafford Park, though aside from the cars it's hard to tell!

HG1937.jpg

HG1936.jpg

This one's undated but looks a bit older.

6028706154_7aea606584_b.jpg

Does anyone recognise the coaches, especially the 4w brake coach at the top?  I have a suspicion it's ex-GWR but I'm not certain.

• Like 5

The 4-wheel brake is ex-Midland, and still exists at Chasewater. 

It appears to have survived in BR departmental service into the 1950s when it was bought by the MSC to replace the 6-wheel vehicle in the third photo. Both were Cashier’s Coaches. 

The middle one is a Dock Labour Coach used for taking dockers to the more distant quays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nyeti said:

Unsurprisingly The Transport Library has some interesting photos of the railway and its stock including coaches.  These two were both taken 1963 in Trafford Park, though aside from the cars it's hard to tell!

HG1937.jpg

HG1936.jpg

This one's undated but looks a bit older.

6028706154_7aea606584_b.jpg

Does anyone recognise the coaches, especially the 4w brake coach at the top?  I have a suspicion it's ex-GWR but I'm not certain.

The dock labour coach was the only one of these I saw. Peering through the main dock gates, it came past being hauled by Alnwick Castle.
It was painted the same shade of green as the 'Castle'.
If you model a big system, these coaches enable you to run a favourite type of coach as a cashiers vehicle, or worker transport.
My Manchester Steel layout will run a Hammond 'Churchward Saloon' as a pay coach. When I build the beggar!
Thanks for the great shots,
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

The dock labour coach was the only one of these I saw. Peering through the main dock gates, it came past being hauled by Alnwick Castle.
It was painted the same shade of green as the 'Castle'.
If you model a big system, these coaches enable you to run a favourite type of coach as a cashiers vehicle, or worker transport.
My Manchester Steel layout will run a Hammond 'Churchward Saloon' as a pay coach. When I build the beggar!
Thanks for the great shots,
Regards,
Chris.

I's like to build at least one of the MSC Cashier's coaches, and at least one Dock Labour Coach. Over the years there were three of each, all different.

It is very frustrating that there aren't any kits available for any of the various vehicles used in these roles! I started drawing up some etch artwork for the Dock Labour Coach in the photo above, planning to make custom sides for a Sidelines kit. But it turns out to be more complicated than that...

I have a feeling that there was once a kit for the Midland 4-wheel brake, but it's long vanished from the market.

• Like 1

Incidentally, it's been a busy week on the upper reaches of the Canal, with visits from 'Swami', 'Maratona' (both bringing cement), 'MSC Buffalo' doing some maintenance, 'Arklow Raven' bringing in grain and taking away scrap, 'Arklow Viking' just coming up with more grain, both 'Arklow Raider' and 'Arklow Future' on their way from Europe with more grain, and 'Swami' on her way with another load of cement.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some more old photos of MSC Railway interest, from the Manchester Libraries archive:

webmedia.php?irn=67751&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=67740&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=67737&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=67732&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=67669&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=67656&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=62932&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=82207&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=47054&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=47078&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=56765&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=56766&reftable=ecatalog

I think this is Ellesmere Port:

webmedia.php?irn=67811&reftable=ecatalog

From the construction days:

webmedia.php?irn=68527&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=68548&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=68558&reftable=ecatalog

webmedia.php?irn=68678&reftable=ecatalog

Early days at the Trafford Park wool warehouse:

webmedia.php?irn=67821&reftable=ecatalog

For my current project of a Conflat ISO (ex lowmac), this one is very relevant:

webmedia.php?irn=69681&reftable=ecatalog

• Like 5

i'd forgotten about the Glover album, i came across it a few years ago, some really nice photos in it.

there was one little tank in Trafford park which was HC 841 "sir William Bailey" which belonged to the company WH Bailey. or if any other company in the area had their own loco

1453892206_HC841-1909sirwilliambaileytraffordpark.jpg.7c41041cf1f77e3f291faa9b2b34a5c6.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sir douglas said:

i'd forgotten about the Glover album, i came across it a few years ago, some really nice photos in it.

there was one little tank in Trafford park which was HC 841 "sir William Bailey" which belonged to the company WH Bailey. or if any other company in the area had their own loco

1453892206_HC841-1909sirwilliambaileytraffordpark.jpg.7c41041cf1f77e3f291faa9b2b34a5c6.jpg

That's a lovely view. 'Sir William Bailey' was one of the Trafford Park Estates locos, used for general shunting in the park prior to 1922 when then MSC locos took over.

Some of those links I posted earlier seem to have become broken - they worked fine earlier. I'll have another go tomorrow if there are still problems.

4 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

yeah none of them are loading for me but i didnt say anything in case it was just my internet

Many thanks, something odd going on, the links aren't working for me any more either, but starting from scratch I can still find the pages. And they sometimes (but not always) show as embedded photos.

One of those internet mysteries!

Here's the Conflat ISO photo link that is most relevamt to my current build:

https://images.manchester.gov.uk/Display.php?irn=45128

23 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

A few earlier photos featuring MSC railway wagons. It's worth zooming in to see the different lettering styles and details. 

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/documents/aa110015984/works-photographic-negative-of-overhead-lines-salford-docks

That batch of links are still working although your later ones aren't.  This particular photo seems to have been taken specifically to show the very tall poles.  Poles that high might have been necessary to clear the Canal, but I can't see why they had to be quite so tall above a set of railway sidings.  Timber that long and that straight would have been hard to find even then = and very expensive.  Would they have been metal?

58 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That batch of links are still working although your later ones aren't.  This particular photo seems to have been taken specifically to show the very tall poles.  Poles that high might have been necessary to clear the Canal, but I can't see why they had to be quite so tall above a set of railway sidings.  Timber that long and that straight would have been hard to find even then = and very expensive.  Would they have been metal?

Maybe the poles were so high just to get above all the other pole routes?

They do look wooden to me.

Sorry about the broken links, I'm not sure whether it's a problem with the original website or the way the links are implemented here. I've tried a few different ways and nothing seems to work reliably.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I was hoping you knew!!! :lol:

4 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

And here's 4002 with a short train of Highs and an oil tank. The date for both of these is 29/9/1980 and I don't know the original photographer.

4002_TP_1980.jpg.d2ad5083004c4ff348f54db70479282f.jpg

Can anyone pinpoint the locations within the Park?

I think the first shot is Westinghouse Rd. t is the evening 'pick up' train that went round 'The Park' collecting wagons from what industrys there still were. The hoppers are empties from Corn Products and the plates and highs could be from Taylors Manchester Steel. The train is heading towards the line over the Bridgewater Canal to the exchange sidings near Old Trafford.
The 'Castle' is shunting a chemical tanker from an industry on a side road off Ashburton Rd. This is opposite Taylors Manchester Steel. 
Again, this is making up the 'Pick Up ' train again.
Brings back memories from 45 years ago.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1