Lambton Hetton And Joicey Colliery railway Remembered

matty-a7x

Important announcement

As many people know I take a lot of pride in my work, and I’m always looking for ways to improve it. With that in mind I recently took the opportunity to revamp my books so that they are now all in colour and with improved formatting. There are still a few black and white shots, but that’s just because I feel that they are atmospheric.

I’m confident the new versions of my books are a better representation of my work and hopefully they will prove popular.  One of the reasons I wrote these books was for modellers, as a source of research and reference photos. Now that the books are in colour this should hopefully make them more appealing to that audience.  They are obviously still aimed at anyone with an interest in railways though!

Of course with the costs of printing in colour I’ve had to increase the price slightly, but this is reflected in the improved quality of the products.

If for whatever reason you do encounter a production related problem with the actual book then I’d recommend you begin by contacting the publishers as I don’t have any control over the actual publishing process. The same is true with post and packing that is again something out of my control.

I do have plans for future books. I have another in the works at the moment and at least another two on the cards that I’m very excited about. Colour versions of my books can now be found on Blurb, here: http://www.blurb.co.uk/user/store/Mditch91 “

My calendars are still available through lulu and will be till the start of the New Year. They can be found here: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/mdrail

Hi Matt,

This is very welcome news - I was very much hoping my earlier posts would manage to convince you that the print quality of the b/w books was unsatisfactory without resorting to the use of derogatory expletives ( :no: ), as your work deserved much better than that.

I've just looked on Blurb but cannot find "Industrial Locomotives In Preservation" - will you be offering this one in colour too?

Can you offer an indication on the kind of quality of print and (just as important) paper quality we can expect from the revised books from Blurb please?

Reason being I might be prepared to obtain a colour version and put the b/w one to good use lighting the woodburner this winter  :O

Tony

Hi Matt,

This is very welcome news - I was very much hoping my earlier posts would manage to convince you that the print quality of the b/w books was unsatisfactory without resorting to the use of derogatory expletives ( :no: ), as your work deserved much better than that.

I've just looked on Blurb but cannot find "Industrial Locomotives In Preservation" - will you be offering this one in colour too?

Can you offer an indication on the kind of quality of print and (just as important) paper quality we can expect from the revised books from Blurb please?

Reason being I might be prepared to obtain a colour version and put the b/w one to good use lighting the woodburner this winter  :O

Tony

Hi Tony,

Industrial locos in pres is currently been completely re-worked, I have a few days off work so hopefully I can get it finished soon! I'll post here when it's ready so keep checking back. I've used blurb in the past and I found they did do my pictures justice. Hope that helps :)

Matt

I thought it might be a good idea to do a quick comparison between the original black & white and the new full color revision of one of my books. Hopefully the below photo can help show the vast improvements.

DSCF6672.JPG

I'm extremely pleased with how it now looks and I think it really is a better representation of my work. The type of paper used is a vast improvement to the type previously used and helps to make the images stand out better. I'm no paper expert but for those curious it has a sort of glossy finish! 

This improved quality will be the new standard for all my books. I'm still in the process of re-writing and upgrading "Industrial Locomotives in Preservation" and hope to have that on sale again sometime in the near future. 

In the meantime "Preserved Industrial Railway of the North East & Cumbria" and "Cumbrian Narrow gauge" can be purchased from here: http://www.blurb.co.uk/user/store/Mditch91. There's also previews on them both, for the first few pages.

• 2 weeks later...

Digital previews are all well and good but since I have copies to hand of the new full colour versions of my books I thought I'd post some pictures showing off the vast improvements in quality I've been talking about.

First up we have two photographs of "Industrial Locomotives in Preservation"

DSCF6769.JPG

DSCF6770.JPG

Followed by "Preserved Industrial Railways of the North East & Cumbria"

DSCF6771.JPG

DSCF6772.JPG

With Christmas fast approaching these books would make for a great present for someone......

I know I've been posting a lot recently about my books, but moving over to a new publisher hasn't been as straight forward as I'd have liked. Anyway the new full colour version of "Cumbrian Narrow Gauge Past and Present" is now on sale. Follow this link to view and buy the book. There's also a book preview of the first couple of pages.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

**Important Announcement**

I've recently started work on another book, this time the focus is on trams and tramways within the North east. There are currently sections on Beamish, it's tramway and there fleet both home and visiting. For good measures I've also included a section on the other transport around the museum. The other section of the book is on the North East Electrical Transport trust and there base at the North East Land, Sea and Air Museum, near Washington.

I don't yet have a release date, but I'm hopeful that it will be on sale within the next few months if not sooner. Price TBA

Once on sale it will be available for purchase from my online book shop, here: http://www.blurb.co.uk/user/store/Mditch91

• 2 months later...

After a great deal of work I'm very pleased to announce the relaunch of my books. I've spent the last few months carefully updating and upgrading each of them to a much higher standard, and I'm extremely pleased with results.

bookposter1.jpg

They can be purchased from my online shop here:http://www.blurb.co.uk/user/store/Mditch91

There is also a preview option available on all the books showing a selection of pages.

The current titles available are:

* Cumbrian Narrow Gauge (£20.50)
* Industrial Locomotives in Preservation (£20.99)
* Preserved Industrial Railways of the North East & Cumbria (19.99)

If you have any questions on any of these books please feel free to comment on this post.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

**NEW BOOK**

Lambton Hetton And Joicey Colliery Remembered

LHJC1.png

What started off as a personal project to walk and photograph the remains of the Lambton Hetton & Joicey colliery railway, my local industrial railway. Over time this project evolved into a book so that I could share my findings and the history of the system with a wider audience. The book explores the remains of the various routes from the coalfields of county Durham to the staithes on the River Wear whilst also looking at remaining locomotives and rolling stock and where to find them.

Priced at £ 18.00 the book can be purchased from my online shop here

It's also worth pointing out that with the code "JULY25" You'll save 25% till the 25th of July.

*Please note I do not have control over the P&P charges*

**Important announcement**

I've recently had a number of customers contact me with regards to the shipping costs of my books. As I've stated in the past I have no control over these costs as they are preset by my publisher. But as I'm committed to offering a high level of customer satisfaction I decided the best course of action was to pass these comments over to them. I've posted there reply below so you can see for yourself what they had to say on the matter.

"Thank you for contacting Blurb support in regard to pricing.
Our shipping and handling fees include the actual cost of shipping a parcel from our print facility to your doorstep as well as the materials and manpower needed to package your book.
This means the price you see for shipping and handling isn't just for the postage alone but includes other costs associated with shipping the order to you.
We do conduct regular research to ensure that the shipping and handling fees we charge are competitive while offering reliable methods and multiple shipping options for every budget.
That said, we appreciate the feedback and I will pass it on to our operations team so they can consider it in their next shipping-cost review."

I hope this is clears things up for everyone, if you have any further comments please feel free to inbox this page.

Matt

• 3 months later...

Archived