Norwalk Valley RR - part 2 - Cannondale 2 Rail O Scale

Gordy

So I hope everyone enjoyed the first installment of my layout Georgetown, its now time to start on phase 2 which will be the next town along the branch. 

For each layout I plan I do a storyboard to show examples of the structures I want to include on my track plan and to check its all going to fit with the layout as a whole.

post-10500-0-36191700-1438116782_thumb.png

Its narrower but longer than Georgetown and will be exhibitable with Georgetown and or on its own. There are going to be two industries, a Creamery and a large factory, I am undecided yet but I might add another industry on the large spur in front of the creamery. There is also a Depot and passing siding.

For this layout I am going to have a go at building my own turnouts and the whole layout will be laid in code 100 to give the appearance of a lightly laid branch line.  I am also going to use Blue Point Switch Machines to operate the points and switch the frog polarity. 

Here is the track plan close up, the left hand end will connect to Gerogetown, the right hand end is through the doorway to the staging yard. 

post-10500-0-96840100-1438116873_thumb.jpgpost-10500-0-96840100-1438116873_thumb.jpg

I am expecting to start track building in August and the baseboards will be started in September. 

• 3 weeks later...

its time to start with the track for Cannondale, only 4 points to make and lots of flex track to go with it has arrived today from the US. 

I have got my sleepers ready but I am still waiting for the rail to arrive. :( 

More to follow...

post-10500-0-69417700-1439922766_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-38694900-1439922770_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Telford today and managed to get hold of some supurb Marcway code 100 rail, so first turnout built, too about 3.5hours to do but others will be quicker, I just need to add the wooden ties tomorrow and thats number one done. it took about 2.5 yards for this turnout. post-10500-0-25516600-1441562206_thumb.jpg

Gordy, next year is the Gauge 0 Guild's Diamond Jubilee Show at Telford (60 years).  Are you going to book a layout in?  There wasn't too much North American content this year.  Remind(?) me, what or where from are the spikes?

Jason

Hi Jason, I would exhibit at Telford, we go every year and I am a GOG member. The spikes are micro size, from micro engineering they don't go all the way through the ties so i can build the turnout on the work bench. 

Gordy, next year is the Gauge 0 Guild's Diamond Jubilee Show at Telford (60 years).  Are you going to book a layout in?  There wasn't too much North American content this year.  Remind(?) me, what or where from are the spikes?

Jason

Jason - I didn't see virtually any North American content, very disappointing, what I did see was well overpriced - £450 for an Atlas GP-9 I don't think so. Picked up another Gilmaur U33C from the bring & buy at a reasonable price, just need to build the drive. Paul.......

Are those Fast tracks template thingys you're using, Gordy? Welcome to the wonderful world of hand-spiking track :sungum: but yes it does take forever :O

How well do those short spikes hold?? Just wondering if they'll be robust enough for the rough & tumble of Exhibition service. My track on "Schiller Point", using Peco pins right through into the baseboard holds very well. Even up my loft, spiking through balsa ties into extruded foam is fine for a fixed home layout.

Your Code100 will look great though I'm sure :yes: looking forward to reading this thread.

I didn't make Telford; looks like I didn't miss much!! Who was selling the GP9? Lord Gosturd of Ebay??!!?? :D

got all my ties cut now. little Spikes are holding really well, i have put 4 in some of the ties to help hold it. don't forget there are PCB ties in their holding it together. Its code 100 rail, i am really enjoying doing this but it does take a while but components are working out about £12 per turnout so compared to a atlas no5 from Gaugemaster at £85 each its a bargain. 

post-10500-0-48578600-1442084773_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to muse a little track plan change for Cannondale, using a bit of Lance Mindheim logic and having a few industries down a single spur. So this keeps the L Shape and the diagonal Loop, but now includes a stock yard, an Ice platform, Team Track and small warehouse/Freight House. 

The depot would still be there and a few houses at the right hand end

post-10500-0-65990000-1443297841_thumb.jpg

Hmmm decisions decisions 

Decided to muse a little track plan change for Cannondale, using a bit of Lance Mindheim logic and having a few industries down a single spur. So this keeps the L Shape and the diagonal Loop, but now includes a stock yard, an Ice platform, Team Track and small warehouse/Freight House. 

The depot would still be there and a few houses at the right hand end

attachicon.gifCannondale (Final)v3.4.jpg

Hmmm decisions decisions 

I like the first track plan better....

By "stock yard", do you mean for cattle?  Not many of those in New England...

I like the first track plan better....

For the time period being modelled, so do I. The first plans somehow have an 'older' look to them, if that makes sense; the latest plan has a more modern Industrial Park geometric look to it. For a modern Short Line that's the plan I'd use, but without the short top spur - just the one long spur, which also cuts down the number of switches to be built (something I think hard about as I alsohand-build my track!)

..... but for a Transition Era small town, the first plans look better.

just my 2p, of course....

The switch looks great.

Depending on the era, there were plenty of small Stock Pens lineside in New England towns - the later the era, the less likely they'd be.

I'd also suggest the team track would be more likely co-located on the same spur as the freight house.

I'm not sure what the "ice rack" is????

Ever consider asking Branchline if they'd be willing to cut the Cannondale station kit in O scale for you?

I remember taking the train up the branch in order to go to a hobby shop that was across the street from the Cannondale station.

Marty

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

I am not trying to make an exact replica of the branch I just don't have the space, but i do want the feel of that part of Connecticut. I am going for transition era the railroad is set in Oct 1954. 

I have adjusted the plan what do you think of this? now we have the stock pen but also a small local lumber yard & a small manufacturing company. The team track has re-located to the other side of the tracks, next to the freight house. 

post-10500-0-25984300-1443899349_thumb.jpg

forgot to mention, i am flying to JFK next weekend to photograph the branch and visit Danbury and the Essex Steam Railway

You must be certain to visit the New Haven's S.S. 44 later Berks tower at South Norwalk.  http://www.westctnrhs.org/tower.htm.  I was there last weekend and it's excellent.  The volunteers are mostly ex towermen so they KNOW the thing inside and out, plus you're right at the junction with the Danbury line.

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

I am not trying to make an exact replica of the branch I just don't have the space, but i do want the feel of that part of Connecticut. I am going for transition era the railroad is set in Oct 1954. 

I have adjusted the plan what do you think of this? now we have the stock pen but also a small local lumber yard & a small manufacturing company. The team track has re-located to the other side of the tracks, next to the freight house. 

Few comments...

1) I think the location of the station is too close to the turnout.  Any train stopping at the station would effectively be blocking the turnout, which kinda makes it hard to use the runaround.

2) The footprint of the station is pretty tiny, especially compared to the footprint of the frieght house.  If I read it right its going to be about a scale 8 x 20.  And with a freight house you should have an office for a agent there.  Either his office or the waiting room is gonna be pretty small.  I built a "Springfield Depot" from American Model Builders, and its about a scale 40 x 20  ( http://www.laserkit.com/images/480c.gif) Granted half of it is a freight house, but it still isn't a very big station and its twice the size you've allocated for yours.

That's one of the things I prefer in the original plan, the station relatively centered on the runaround, and you've given yourself room for a decent size station.

A few photos from my tour of Connecticut railroads, an RS1 at Danbury and an FL9 at Thomaston. I managed to get a Cab ride in both. i also managed to spend 30mins talking to an engineer who worked out of Danbury and down the branch and futher afield for years. The small yard there served over 72 customers in NH times.

I am taking on board all your comments ive nearly finished amending the plan and i will post it when i get home.

post-10500-0-07914300-1444613620_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-11176000-1444613632_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-40914500-1444613640_thumb.jpg

Archived