Norwalk Valley RR - part 2 - Cannondale 2 Rail O Scale

Gordy

ok guys, I have taken on board your comments and my site visit yesterday (pictures coming soon). What do you think of this one? I know there wasn't a stock pen but its something I want to incorporate into the larger layout and also because I want to add animal sounds which I am sure will entertain children at model railway shows.

post-10500-0-81301000-1444769414_thumb.jpg

ok guys, I have taken on board your comments and my site visit yesterday (pictures coming soon). What do you think of this one? I know there wasn't a stock pen but its something I want to incorporate into the larger layout and also because I want to add animal sounds which I am sure will entertain children at model railway shows.

You still have the issue of stopping at the depot blocks you from running around the train...

Imagine this.  A mixed local comes into town.  Load for the stock yard, load for the freight house, and a combine.  The train stops and the station and the agent tells the engineer he has a pickup from the team track.  How are you going to switch that?

With the station where it is, you would need to stop at the station, passengers get on/off and you get your pickup order from the agent.  Then pull ahead and park the combine in the runaround while you switch the rest of the train.  The passengers would be sitting in the combine while you do your switching (or worse, moving around with the rest of the train!).  If you had the station centered in the run around, you would have the option of dropping the combine there and switching...  (if you're doing a "1 way" train, then you'll probably have to move the combine anyway to handle the fact that one switch is facing and the other trailing.  But if you're doing an "out and back", you can switch one industry on the outbound trip and the other on the inbound...)

Now, if you're never going to have a mixed train, then this is a non-issue, your only worry is if this is where a meet between passenger and freight trains occurs then the freight has to fit in passing track...  But, to me, mixed trains running through a fall landscape just screams New England branch line railroading (and also O Winston Link and N&W 4-8-0s, but I digress)

ponder this quick hacking of your plan using MS paint...

post-7591-0-06545700-1444840587_thumb.jpg

The black square is where the station would go...

If it were me I'd change some of the industries around - to vary the type/style of cars you can deliver to the industries. For example, the Crate Factory, Warehouse and Freight house all would receive mostly boxcars. I'd replace the crate factory with a coal dealer (hoppers) and the "warehouse" with a Team Track (can receive any kind of car, except bulk loads that would be dumped.

But that's a minor nit, and may not be an issue to you. Otherwise I think it looks very small townish, which is what I believe you were going for.

Marty

You still have the issue of stopping at the depot blocks you from running around the train...

Imagine this.  A mixed local comes into town.  Load for the stock yard, load for the freight house, and a combine.  The train stops and the station and the agent tells the engineer he has a pickup from the team track.  How are you going to switch that?

With the station where it is, you would need to stop at the station, passengers get on/off and you get your pickup order from the agent.  Then pull ahead and park the combine in the runaround while you switch the rest of the train.  The passengers would be sitting in the combine while you do your switching (or worse, moving around with the rest of the train!).  If you had the station centered in the run around, you would have the option of dropping the combine there and switching...  (if you're doing a "1 way" train, then you'll probably have to move the combine anyway to handle the fact that one switch is facing and the other trailing.  But if you're doing an "out and back", you can switch one industry on the outbound trip and the other on the inbound...)

Now, if you're never going to have a mixed train, then this is a non-issue, your only worry is if this is where a meet between passenger and freight trains occurs then the freight has to fit in passing track...  But, to me, mixed trains running through a fall landscape just screams New England branch line railroading (and also O Winston Link and N&W 4-8-0s, but I digress)

ponder this quick hacking of your plan using MS paint...

attachicon.gifCannondale.jpg

The black square is where the station would go...

BTW - I realized that my suggestion also opens you up to putting the freight house next to the station (which makes sense) and then you can put a lumber yard (like you had in an earlier plan) where the freight house currently sits...

Hi Guys 

Pictures from Cannondale, the depot is right next to the Grade crossing, but I see your point about moving it.

I am not trying to make an exact replica so its getting moved. 

post-10500-0-71881300-1444857554_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-36619600-1444857556.jpg

post-10500-0-10106500-1444857560_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-29412800-1444857564_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-10423500-1444857567_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys 

Pictures from Cannondale, the depot is right next to the Grade crossing, but I see your point about moving it.

I am not trying to make an exact replica so its getting moved. 

That's a great looking little station. (although the "sliding glass porch door" has gotta go!)  Might be worth trying to scratchbuild that one...

BTW - I remember a friend once trying to convince someone that it should be pronounced "ca NON de lay" because the town was settled by French speakers.  No one believed it, but it was pretty amusing.

That's interesting, but completely untrue. Cannondale (actually it's part of Wilton) was settled by the English - more precisely it was settled by English speaking settlers from the Massachusetts Bay Colony who sought freedom from religious persecution at the hands of the Puritans. Early Mass settlers were plenty nasty - public floggings, "dippings" and the like.

Most of Southern Connecticut was not settled by ships arriving from England but from people moving down the coast from the Boston area, stopping short of the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam (New York today). Until the arrival of the railroad in the early 1850s the area was called Pimpewaug - the Pequot name for it.

The railroad named the area around the station Cannon Station, and the main street through the village which is immediately adjacent to the depot was "Cannon Crossing." At some point in the late 1800s residents felt the "Cannon" was too close in spelling to "Canaan" Connecticut, so they changed the name to "Cannondale."

Guess if you're freelancing it you could call it "Pimpewaug."

That's interesting, but completely untrue. Cannondale (actually it's part of Wilton) was settled by the English - more precisely it was settled by English speaking settlers from the Massachusetts Bay Colony who sought freedom from religious persecution at the hands of the Puritans. Early Mass settlers were plenty nasty - public floggings, "dippings" and the like.

Most of Southern Connecticut was not settled by ships arriving from England but from people moving down the coast from the Boston area, stopping short of the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam (New York today). Until the arrival of the railroad in the early 1850s the area was called Pimpewaug - the Pequot name for it.

The railroad named the area around the station Cannon Station, and the main street through the village which is immediately adjacent to the depot was "Cannon Crossing." At some point in the late 1800s residents felt the "Cannon" was too close in spelling to "Canaan" Connecticut, so they changed the name to "Cannondale."

Guess if you're freelancing it you could call it "Pimpewaug."

yeah, we all knew that.  Dave was just seeing if he could actually convince the other person that his BS was true...

Aye: that's why we sent them over the sea, in an era of religious intolerance, bigotry and conflict (I am referring not just to England) even the Puritans were deemed to be too intolerant by most people...

We're not known as  "Massholes" for nothin'   :sungum:

• 4 weeks later...

Just had the urge to weather some of my freight cars, i have never weathered rolling stock before, i don't think its too bad, I need to add some rust and brake dust to the trucks.

post-10500-0-74123400-1447105611_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-23561900-1447105658_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-76559900-1447105671_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-41013300-1447105687_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-30847100-1447106250_thumb.jpg

Weathering job on your freight cars looks great. One little detail you might want to consider adding are some chalk marks. I've never seen a photo of an in-service transition era freight car that didn't have evidence of some carman's chalk marks on it!!

chalk marks. I've never seen a photo of an in-service transition era freight car that didn't have evidence of some carman's chalk marks on it!!

Great Idea I will have a go on the next one :) 

I like the Weaver 2-8-0.  Back in the days when I was a Weaver dealer, I kept telling myself that with a couple of tweaks I could make it a Ma & Pa version, repaint my All Nation NW2 (first American kit-build) and, hey presto, an instant classic American shortline.  Darn customers.  Sprung chassis you know!  Hmmm....  Well I did get George Hilton's great Howell North book on the Ma & Pa - down-home history, pictures, good line-drawings - early on in my N American passion.  Recommended for steam/early diesel fans.  I made a Ma & Pa RPO/baggage car from a LaBelle 50ft Menasha Woodware kit too, it's out there somewhere...!

Well SMS lines are rebuilding an 0-6-0 too - steam and early, 2nd generation, current diesels on old D&H track.... 

Jason

Dan you are a bad man!! I never even thought of looking at Weaver Steamers until I just saw that picture!! :O :nono: :D

I do prefer 2-8-2 Mikes to 2-8-0, myself. They just look a little more 'balanced' to my mind, especially for a lot of Tender-first running.

Spiking has started on the first turnout today, using Fast Tracks spikes, they are bigger than the micromark ones and i think they look better than micromarks ones i had used on the prototype switch I made. 

post-10500-0-69304700-1448469298_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-20890100-1448469306_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-17004100-1448469337_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-14987700-1448469365_thumb.jpg

Archived