Digitrax Latching/Unlatching Sound Functions

silverlink

Hi All,

Have just changed my complete digital system to Digitrax using the Super Chief and whilst I am just about managing to come to terms with it I am struggling with one thing. I have quite a few sound locos on my layout and with my previous system (Lenz 100) I was able to latch or unlatch the sound functions however with my new Digitrax I'm unable to do this can anyone tell me how to do it.

Thanks

Ian H

• RMweb Gold

This is the unfortunate result of European and US sound decoders having different needs. All US trains have a bell - F1 - and European trains don't, while the whistle - F2 - is obviously non-latching. Nigel (above) has helped me with some re-programming of non-sound functions in the past, but it is complex.

There is a way that you "can".   Its to use throttles from other makers on the Digitrax system.   

A smartphone used through a computer interface (eg. JMRI, RocRail, etc) will have full control of function behaviour, set on a per-loco basis. 

Or an Uhlenbrock Daisy II throttle has per-loco control of latching in the handset (and per-loco icons for function) and works nicely with Digitrax command stations.

I see Silverlink says "Scarborough" in the side-panel.  There are a couple of chaps at Scarborough model railway club who really understand DCC stuff, may be worth a chat.

- Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I think you're referring to Roland & Steve who use Digitrax, they are running their layouts via computer which allows for latching/unlatching but even Roland doesn't know how to unlatch the handsets. Roland & I work together a lot on our club layouts with me dealing with Lenz setups and Ro the Digitrax. We are at Recar this w/e with Rumbling Bridge (Lenz).

Ian

If you are using a computer in the system, you may be able to use a flagman in RR&Co to flag/unflag a particular decoder function within RR&Co from a throttle command.  I haven't tried that, I've used RR&Co to operate functions on decoders, but I haven't tried to use a flag attached to a decoder function.

James

Hi Nigel,

I think you're referring to Roland & Steve who use Digitrax, they are running their layouts via computer which allows for latching/unlatching but even Roland doesn't know how to unlatch the handsets. Roland & I work together a lot on our club layouts with me dealing with Lenz setups and Ro the Digitrax. We are at Recar this w/e with Rumbling Bridge (Lenz).

Ian

Yes Roland and Steve.

As I said, its F2 non-latching (and optionally playable volume for a few sound decoders), and there is an option detailed in the Digitrax manuals to make F3 non-latching.  And that's the lot, no further options for a Digitrax handset.

A computer can counter the command with Function-off, but I think that's messy and prone to problems of its own.

If its really important on a handset, use the Uhlenbrock Daisy II attached to the Digitrax command station. Its a really nice handset.

- Nigel

Archived