The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

Is it possible for a virus to cause a windows 10 ran into a problem and needs to restart message. My father is not exactly very good with  a computer and twice now it has apparently had a virus according to those who have fixed it for him so he says. It is using the built in Windows Defender which seemingly twice has failed to do its job. Wary whether it actually was a virus as he quite easily mishears what is said to him and thinking its possible they said it was xyz not a virus and he heard it as being a virus.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Is it possible for a virus to cause a windows 10 ran into a problem and needs to restart message. My father is not exactly very good with  a computer and twice now it has apparently had a virus according to those who have fixed it for him so he says. It is using the built in Windows Defender which seemingly twice has failed to do its job. Wary whether it actually was a virus as he quite easily mishears what is said to him and thinking its possible they said it was xyz not a virus and he heard it as being a virus.

Yes, it's possible but unlikely. In the early days of viruses some of them had bugs which would cause machine crashes which defeats the object f the virus / Trojan which is to gain some degree of control of the host.

BSOD are frequently the sign of a hardware failure, sometimes temporary (not so common these days) - a disk read error for example which works fine after the data is rewritten but if the error read is for a critical Windows file then ... BSOD.

* BSOD = blue screen of death, the windows crash screen. sysinternals provide an amusing screen saver which mimics a BSOD.

• Informative/Useful 1

Ah! BSOD! 5 days ago I had a KMODE exception not handled (with no indication)  what have you -

The computer kept restarting before the problem could be fixed.. (The fix was to get rid of the Fast Start Up option)..

Eventually  the computer got sloppy and I got fast enough to fix the problem before the inevitable BSOD with KMODE.. could appear..

It still took a couple of fresh starts before the problem went away (Possibly a non compatible driver needing an update - but there was no indication of what it was.)

It may also have an underlying hardware issue - it's an HP! - but for now it boots and stays that way,

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not a Windows problem but a program running in Windows 10

I have Kaspersky Internet Security installed and one of the features is a software updater reminder.

The problem is I get these warnings that certain pieces of software is out of date (and therefore potentially vunerable) when they are not.

The latest one is for Libre Office warning me that I need to update from version 6.3.1.2 > version 6.3.6.2

However it is already at version 6.4.4.2!

Has anyone else noticed this anomally?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got a peculiar fault just appeared on Win 10, it was working fine yesterday morning.

I click on it's icon and the Arduino window appears and then disappears again, as a result I can't get the Arduino IDE to work, but used to yesterday.

I am using IDE 1.8.12 but have also tried 1.8.10 without success.

I have uninstalled, cleaned, done a "scannow", Malwarebytes, registry checker and anything else I can think of, including changing program permissions but it just wont work.

All other programs so far tested appear to be fine.

Any suggestions?

• Friendly/supportive 1

I'm guessing w10 updated last night? and it moved one of the ide dependencies, thinking it was not needed. Maybe the Arduino forum has an idea, not been there for a while.

If you reinstall the arduino ide, , then use something like revo uninstall to remove all traces of the previous version. In the past, I've found that sometimes reinstalling software uses previous settings (ini file/equivalents) and the new installation uses the same locations as the previous version.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, raymw said:

I'm guessing w10 updated last night? and it moved one of the ide dependencies, thinking it was not needed. Maybe the Arduino forum has an idea, not been there for a while.

If you reinstall the arduino ide, , then use something like revo uninstall to remove all traces of the previous version. In the past, I've found that sometimes reinstalling software uses previous settings (ini file/equivalents) and the new installation uses the same locations as the previous version.

No it hadn't updated, although it has this morning.

The problem was there late last night but I didn't try and do anything at the time as it was getting late.

EDIT

I already had revo uninstaller, so ran that. There was an update, it updated and now it wont run. (same as arduino)

2ND EDIT after a restart REVO runs OK.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have now done chkdsk, syschk(?) moved half the cointents of the C: drive elsewhere, done a TRIM of C: drive, done all the checks with REVO, uninstalled Arduino IDE, removed it's leftovers etc. etc.

Re-install IDE

No difference:(

11 minutes ago, melmerby said:

My laptop just picked up the feature update to Win 10 Ver 2004 (but this desktop hasn't)

I had the regular monthly updated last night and found this feature upgrade to ver 2004 had been left as an option for me to install as required. I haven't done so yet.

John.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well that was pretty painless, one of the quickest updates for a feature update I have had on the laptop.

Version 2004  build 19041.329

EDIT

14 "new " features, nothing specifically groundbreaking, more tweaking around the edges.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Funny how it seems the majority of problems are with other programs, not windows itself.

That is indeed a fact.

Most problems are usually such things as out of date drivers or badly written programs.

A legacy of the fact that Windows is an open system and anybody can write software for it.

These days drivers should be signed showing that they meet certain MS requirements, however even that is not totally enforced as there is an option in Windows to overcome it.

That is the main difference with a Mac where everything would be approved by Apple, so there is much less likelyhood of third party caused problems. The computers themselves are little different in internal construction, using mostly the same devices.

Modern Windows versions however are incredibly robust.

These days you can cut the power in the middle of doing something and when you re-boot it does it as if nothing has happened. There will be a log entry "Windows was not properly shut down" but usually that's all.

Try doing that with XP.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, brianusa said:

Its been around for five years or so now, surely everybody who's going to has done so by now.  There are times when I wish I hadn't:unsure:

Brian.

I have one PC that still has XP, for the odd occasion that Win 10 plays up and I have some software on it that doesn't want to play on 10.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

Just got this message from Windows:

121015097_featureupdate.JPG.3813566d71a38f81c495d1a86774683d.JPG

Curious as this is on the newest best specified PC I have!

Is it too good for Windows?;)

There are a number of known compatibility issues with certain pieces of hardware or drivers. When Windows 2004 install detects the presence of one of the affected items, it will not install Windows 2004 until that issue is resolved. This is obviously better than installing regardless and then causing problems!

Further details here - Windows 2004 known issues.

I'm running Windows 2004 from when it was first made available on April on all 3 PCs at home and no problems at all. One PC is 7 years old as well. 

Edited by RFS
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, RFS said:

There are a number of known compatibility issues with certain pieces of hardware or drivers. When Windows 2004 install detects the presence of one of the affected items, it will not install Windows 2004 until that issue is resolved. This is obviously better than installing regardless and then causing problems!

Further details here - Windows 2004 known issues.

I'm running Windows 2004 from when it was first made available on April on all 3 PCs at home and no problems at all. One PC is 7 years old as well. 

Strange that a new(ish) 12 month old well specified PC with all drivers up to date has issues:scratchhead:

The laptop which got it straight away is 7(?) years old and started on Win 7.

Edited by melmerby