The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Strange that a new(ish) 12 month old well specified PC with all drivers up to date has issues:scratchhead:

The laptop which got it straight away is 7(?) years old and started on Win 7.

Its down to specific drivers, doesn't matter whether the pc is one month old or 10 years old - if its got a component that uses one of those drivers the update is not being offered yet. My c. 5 year old Acer desktop updated to 2004 this week, my two month old Acer laptop is still awaiting the update to be offered to it.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Its down to specific drivers, doesn't matter whether the pc is one month old or 10 years old - if its got a component that uses one of those drivers the update is not being offered yet. My c. 5 year old Acer desktop updated to 2004 this week, my two month old Acer laptop is still awaiting the update to be offered to it.

What's puzzling is why one PC gets the update straight away, another gets a message and a third hasn't had anything at all (I just checked - no updates available)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

What's puzzling is why one PC gets the update straight away, another gets a message and a third hasn't had anything at all (I just checked - no updates available)

Have you tried manually entering "check for updates"? If your PC is ready for it, then it will install. At present, not all eligible PCs are being offered it as part of Microsoft's phased approach.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It does get rather confusing to the none computer literate individual such as me. Having read the last few posts I decided to check my Update History to see what had installed 'in a flash and almost un noticed' last week.

Before progressing however I saw a notification that a new update was available, so decided to install it before I had the chance to overlook it. It completed in about 25 minutes with a couple of pauses and one restart.

To my surprise, My Update History showed the following in date sequence:-

Installed 14/05/20 :  2020-05 Cumulative Update for .NET framework3.5 and 4.8 for W10 V1909 for x 64 KB4552931

Installed 21/05/20 : 2020-01 Optional KB4497165 about which Keith (Melmerby) kindly advised on here.

Installed11/06/20 :-Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for W10 V1909 for x64based systems KB4561600

Installed today, 13/06/20 2020-06 Quality Update for W10 V1909 for x64 based systems KB4560960.

To this layman the above seems to have been applied in no particular sequence as the installation dates and release titles, e.g. 2020 -05 followed by 2020 -01, seem none chronological to the un initiated and the latest 2020-06 seems to have leap frogged the 2020-04 discussed in the last few posts, although, I did have the 2020 - 05 update on 14/05/20 as above.

Is there any point in trying to make sense of this, or should I just not bother my head so long as installations are successful ?

Regards, 

John

Edited by Brit70053
addition of sentence
  • Agree 2

I got that about a week ago.

Since then I've had quite a few smaller updates which seem to be getting it ready and apparently there is also going to be a new version of Microsoft Edge as well.

Supposedly ready, but as an email told me they will do it automatically I'll let them do it rather than force it through myself.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge?form=MY01IT&OCID=MY01IT

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, RFS said:

Have you tried manually entering "check for updates"? If your PC is ready for it, then it will install. At present, not all eligible PCs are being offered it as part of Microsoft's phased approach.

Yes

I do that regularly and the PCs are also set up to restart outside normal hours, which means I get to do the restarts, so I can see what's happening.

4 Pcs checked for updates.

1 laptop (Intel iCore 7 CPU & nVidia graphics) had the notification it was ready to download (which It did).

1 desktop (Intel iCore 7 CPU & nVidia graphics) had no notifications.

1 desktop (AMD Ryzen 5 CPU & AMD/Radeon Graphics) had the notice about not being ready.

1 laptop (dual core Pentium & intel graphics also had no notifications.

(both the nVidia graphics drivers are the same release)

installed 14/05/20 :  2020-05 Cumulative Update for .NET framework3.5 and 4.8 for W10 V1909 for x 64 KB4552931

Installed 21/05/20 : 2020-01 Optional KB4497165 about which Keith (Melmerby) kindly advised on here.

Installed11/06/20 :-Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for W10 V1909 for x64based systems KB4561600

Installed today, 13/06/20 2020-06 Quality Update for W10 V1909 for x64 based systems KB4560960.

installed 14/05/20 :  2020-05 Cumulative Update for .NET framework3.5 and 4.8 for W10 V1909 for x 64 KB4552931

You have windows10 version 1909 - on 14th May it installed the May update for .net frameworks.

You did the above yourself on 21st May. It was released in January, specific update to Intel cpu microcode

On 11th June, it did a security update for Adobe Flash. (available June 9th)

installed today, 13/06/20 2020-06 Quality Update for W10 V1909 for x64 based systems KB4560960.

today it installed an update to w10.

The KB number (Knowledge base) You can search on that and find out what each such numbered update does.

(type KB4560960. into your search engine - a Microsoft site will tell you what it is supposed to do)

It's a lot of numbers, but makes sense if you break it down

hth

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, raymw said:

The KB number (Knowledge base) You can search on that and find out what each such numbered update does.

(type KB4560960. into your search engine - a Microsoft site will tell you what it is supposed to do)

It's a lot of numbers, but makes sense if you break it down

hth

You don't need to do that, just click on it in your update list and you go straight to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Raymw and Melmerby, that's my learning for today. Often wondered about the meaning of KB and that's a handy tip as to how to see what the update has, or is supposed to have done.

I can make sense of some of the update explanation thus revealed, but most of it will remain alien to my unsophisticated mind. Never mind, as long as I think the laptop is working ok, that will generally satisfy me. Until the next time something intrigues me.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 14:58, Steamport Southport said:

I got that about a week ago.

Since then I've had quite a few smaller updates which seem to be getting it ready and apparently there is also going to be a new version of Microsoft Edge as well.

Supposedly ready, but as an email told me they will do it automatically I'll let them do it rather than force it through myself.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge?form=MY01IT&OCID=MY01IT

Jason

I turned on my computer this morning and shortly afterwards got the message that there were Updates waiting for a Restart. I then did the Restart straight away and there is indeed a new version of Microsoft Edge. In my case I managed to lose the old Microsoft Edge around a year ago whilst my computer was having a bit of a fit, and have used Firefox ever since which I shall probably continue to do.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Two computers in our household were unable to print after some of the recent updates.  Documents appeared to go to the printer but then disappear.  After wasting time reinstalling the latest drivers etc. an brief online search indicated the problem to related to the MS updates.  Both machines are on Windows 10 but are of different ages (one Windows 7 originally, one with Windows 10 pre-installed when new) and the specific update was different for each.

If anyone has this problem I suggest you have a quick look for the solution and see which of the problem updates is applicable to your computer rather than lose time with drivers.  Uninstalling a specific update temporarily fixes the problem.

The printer is a Brother DCP-197C.  I do not know if others are affected in the same way.  The updates were within the last week but we only spotted the problem today because we hardly ever print anything.

Of course, the snag is that Windows will probably reinstall the fault unless you temporarily turn off updates, but if you do that then when MS eventually fix things you won't get the fix.  Mainly because we hardly ever print, I opted to leave updates on knowing that I could uninstall a specific update if it became a problem again.

• Like 1

I did the update last week, painless (as I usually find). However I have one query?

Previously, I set my home page to Google, also my search engine default was Google, both of which I set by the "dots" and "settings" at the top right when on Edge. 

Now, with the new Edge, I see no firm way of making Google my search engine of choice. I have set, through the control panel, my home page. And, again I think through the top right, managed to set default to Google...

BUT when I click (1st time) on the Edge icon on the desktop (a shortcut key), it opens as Google and I then go where I want from there, always on Edge.

However, if I click on the Edge shortcut again (either as a 2nd window, or close the 1st and click on the shortcut again, it ALWAYS comes up with Bing as the search engine, with the News as homepage (regardless of my setting of choice).

Anyone else have this, or got a work around?

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I did the update last week, painless (as I usually find). However I have one query?

Previously, I set my home page to Google, also my search engine default was Google, both of which I set by the "dots" and "settings" at the top right when on Edge. 

Now, with the new Edge, I see no firm way of making Google my search engine of choice. I have set, through the control panel, my home page. And, again I think through the top right, managed to set default to Google...

BUT when I click (1st time) on the Edge icon on the desktop (a shortcut key), it opens as Google and I then go where I want from there, always on Edge.

However, if I click on the Edge shortcut again (either as a 2nd window, or close the 1st and click on the shortcut again, it ALWAYS comes up with Bing as the search engine, with the News as homepage (regardless of my setting of choice).

Anyone else have this, or got a work around?

Stewart

It's in settings under "privacy and services". Scroll down to address bar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

The new Edge is based on Google Chrome, a rare instance of MS and Google working together, and Chrome extensions are likely to work with it. Having used it a while it is clearly different to the previous.

Pedantry mode.

Isn't it based on Chromium which is the open source core, which anyone can use?

There are loads of Chromium based browsers but only one Chrome (Google's).

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, melmerby said:

Pedantry mode.

Isn't it based on Chromium which is the open source core, which anyone can use?

There are loads of Chromium based browsers but only one Chrome (Google's).

Correct but to the average user it comes across as being akin to Chrome albeit the one extension I have loaded failed to work right although now it has since also stopped working in Chrome.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Since installing the latest updates a few days ago, the bar across the bottom (with the icons in it on which you click to open programs) of The Lady Wife's laptop is pale grey now rather than black, and the same goes for the gubbins that comes up when she clicks on  the Windows button thingy bottom left corner.  She is grumpy about this, so can anybody please tell me how to make these black again?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, raymw said:

use a black sharpie, or go to settings, personalisation, task bar.

On my 2004 version, the option to change taskbar colours is greyed out and is as been mentioned much paler than it was.

862880508_taskbar1.JPG.c69461a6dcb1c9eb080fe088a3038d43.JPG

974755803_taskbar2.JPG.c7b476c1632fe3f6eda8a379f4d35124.JPG

18 hours ago, RFS said:

It's in settings under "privacy and services". Scroll down to address bar. 

Which "settings" do I need to access? The only one that seems to tally with your message seems to be from the staret button, but there is a only a "privacy" button there with no mention of "and services"?

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Which "settings" do I need to access? The only one that seems to tally with your message seems to be from the staret button, but there is a only a "privacy" button there with no mention of "and services"?

It's Edge settings: click on the 3 dots at top right of the Edge page and the settings entry is towards the bottom. 

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, melmerby said:

On my 2004 version, the option to change taskbar colours is greyed out and is as been mentioned much paler than it was.

862880508_taskbar1.JPG.c69461a6dcb1c9eb080fe088a3038d43.JPG

974755803_taskbar2.JPG.c7b476c1632fe3f6eda8a379f4d35124.JPG

You need to select "custom"  in the "choose your colour" box to be able to change it.

3 hours ago, RFS said:

It's Edge settings: click on the 3 dots at top right of the Edge page and the settings entry is towards the bottom. 

Found that, thanks. But.....

I checked my defaults, the search engine was supposed to open at google.com, though google.co.uk was listed further down. I changed the latter to default. The 2nd opening of edge still comes up with Bing.

Checked again. This time I deleted all search engines apart from my default. The 2nd opening of edge still comes up with Bing.

I would add that I have rebooted the PC after resets. 

This is also a new build of Win 10. I've been running it for ages, but had a couple of minor problems (eg blue headset not working, and MyDriveConnect wouldn't update TomTom), so I formatted the drive and started again. (All my data of various types are stored on various other drives, so quite easy to do). I'd noticed that I was due the latest update, so did the new install, then got all the updates done before adding all the other programs and personalising things.

So, still have the problem, when opening a new tab or a 2nd window, both of which go to Bing not Google.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, RFS said:

You need to select "custom"  in the "choose your colour" box to be able to change it.

Er, No,

I've already done that and I have a custom colour but it didn't change the greyed out option.