• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sundoger

SNAP!  My first scratch built loco was one of these too when I was 16. I used the same drawing, I think it was RM circa 1964.  I later found out it was not much better than a sketch!  However a very interesting engine, the heaviest 0-4-0 Tank built for a British railway and a good choice.

Like you I used tinplate, from cocoa tins for the body cut out with mothers best scissors! and brass curtain rail off cuts for frames. I learned to solder with a fire heated copper bolt borrowed from my Grandad.  Wheels were Hamblings and the motor was a Triang  XT60   It worked and here is the only record I have of it along with some of my later 00 models.

post-6089-0-66040300-1440529313_thumb.jpg

I disposed of my 00 stuff when I changed to P4 in the 70s and regret selling the pug.  Something I much regret now.  However I have since moved up to S7 and have recently built a replacement.  This time I had access to the GA drawing and lot of experience.  Here is a picture taken last Summer.

post-6089-0-01319800-1440530263_thumb.jpg 

Happy modelling,

Ian

• Like 12

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 25/08/2015 at 20:20, ian@stenochs said:

Hi Sundoger

SNAP!  My first scratch built loco was one of these too when I was 16. I used the same drawing, I think it was RM circa 1964.  I later found out it was not much better than a sketch!  However a very interesting engine, the heaviest 0-4-0 Tank built for a British railway and a good choice.

Like you I used tinplate, from cocoa tins for the body cut out with mothers best scissors! and brass curtain rail off cuts for frames. I learned to solder with a fire heated copper bolt borrowed from my Grandad.  Wheels were Hamblings and the motor was a Triang  XT60   It worked and here is the only record I have of it along with some of my later 00 models.

post-6089-0-66040300-1440529313_thumb.jpg

I disposed of my 00 stuff when I changed to P4 in the 70s and regret selling the pug.  Something I much regret now.  However I have since moved up to S7 and have recently built a replacement.  This time I had access to the GA drawing and lot of experience.  Here is a picture taken last Summer.

post-6089-0-01319800-1440530263_thumb.jpg 

Happy modelling,

Ian

could I have sone drawings / for it . I would like to model it