66305, Derailment at New Cumnock, 6K07, 6K06

Being reported on railcams.uk that 6K07 has run into 6K06 at New Cumnock, possibly in an engineering possession.  17 wagons reported derailed and some in a field.  66305 involved and possibly 66428.

I don't know how accurate these details are.

• RMweb Gold
6K06 engine 66305 and 18/19 wagons still on the track, then some derailed, behind that 6K07 engine 66428 off rails, and some (10-12) wagons off the rails with some of them apparently lying in the field. Track is reported to be substantially damaged.

Thanks to anon

Location is 52mp

In my search for more info found the following.

Looks like its not the first time in this area.

http://www.newcumnock.net/derailment-at-new-cumnock/

Also coverage of todays incident in the Scotsman. Looks messy and although no expert looks the loco which went into the back must have been moving at some speed. 

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/trains-crash-near-cumnock-in-ayrshire-1-3847304

• RMweb Premium

Serious comment - Nasty looking incident. 

Less serious comment - Gomez Adams would have been proud of a train wreck like that.

• RMweb Gold

Be it 'nasty' or not there can be little doubt that one train collided with the other pretty hard in order to create a scene like that although they were empty wagons which doesn't help.  What led to the collision will no doubt be the subject of some very serious questions.

Edit to correct typo.

• RMweb Gold

there are comments on WNXX (both from drivers and enthusiasts) along the lines of "well at least thats one less 66 on the network for a while", all i'll say is if it was me i'd rather be in that situation on a 66 than say a 47 or 56 or i'd most likely not be here typing this!

there are comments on WNXX (both from drivers and enthusiasts) along the lines of "well at least thats one less 66 on the network for a while", all i'll say is if it was me i'd rather be in that situation on a 66 than say a 47 or 56 or i'd most likely not be here typing this!

It seems that some people lose sight of the human aspect of such incidents. It looks the the cab area stood up to the impact fairly well.

• RMweb Gold

I don't really know about a 56 (although I suspect it wouldn't be much different from a 47) but judging by the picture I think you're quite right Jim - that collision would have done a pretty comprehensive job of cab demolition on a 47 especially if a wagon had lifted on first contact.  I've seen some quite extensive collision damage on 47s from far gentler 'bumps' than that one

• RMweb Gold

there are some possessions where the entrance may be miles form the actual worksite, ive done one where the site was a good 20 miles away from the PLBs which is why its important to reach a clear understanding of what is required as i could have gone up to 50mph most of the way, in all honesty i kept it slower than that and slowed futher to a speed where i could stop safely where visibility was limited due to line curvature etc

Ive done loads of possession work now but am still very wary of them, a lot of things happening at once involving a lot of different people (and disciplines), i still find them fascinating at times though, particularly the work ive done on the oxford link, entering a possession on a certain line only to leave on one that was not there 3 hours previous and the line you arrived on is now lifted and cut up in the wagons behind you!

Agreed on that Jim, each situation can be very different from the last, been doing them for years now and can honestly say no two are exactly alike, depite what may occur on the paperwork! Generally speaking the speed limit is 5mph unless otherwise specificaly instructed by the Engineering Supervisor. Many years ago I entered a possession at Hanslope on the Down Fast and the first worksite I came to was at Kilsby Tunnel, about twenty miles away, it was a bright, clear sunny Sunday morning and I had good vision all of the way, so I did around 25-30 apart from a couple of places where the curvature was against me. This of course was in the 'no-mans land' which 'belonged' to the PICOP (Person In Charge Of Possession) who had instructed me verbally that there was nothing between the start of the possession and the marker boards for teat first worksite. You still have to keep your wits about you as on the odd occasion I've come across blokes still working in the four foot after being assured that they'd all finished and gone home...!

All will be revealed in due course when the report is published. Speculation at this point is utterly meaningless but one thing's sure, there's a bit of a mess to tidy up.

Just glad there's no injuries though there might be some dirty drawers in the laundry baskets of the adjoining properties...

• RMweb Gold

Agreed on that Jim, each situation can be very different from the last, been doing them for years now and can honestly say no two are exactly alike, depite what may occur on the paperwork! Generally speaking the speed limit is 5mph unless otherwise specificaly instructed by the Engineering Supervisor. Many years ago I entered a possession at Hanslope on the Down Fast and the first worksite I came to was at Kilsby Tunnel, about twenty miles away, it was a bright, clear sunny Sunday morning and I had good vision all of the way, so I did around 25-30 apart from a couple of places where the curvature was against me. This of course was in the 'no-mans land' which 'belonged' to the PICOP (Person In Charge Of Possession) who had instructed me verbally that there was nothing between the start of the possession and the marker boards for teat first worksite. You still have to keep your wits about you as on the odd occasion I've come across blokes still working in the four foot after being assured that they'd all finished and gone home...!

It's also a situation where very clear communication is required on the part of those running the possession and work sites and where Drivers really need an extremely good knowledge of the road because the Perway guys will work on mileages and they will expect everyone else to understand them (although they might well refer to other distinguishing features).  An awful lot has been done over the years to tighten up massively on safety in possessions but risks do remain - as this incident might well illustrate.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC according to the statistics there are more injuries and incidents in possessions (which are classed as green zones because they are 'free of trains*' in offical jargon ) than when working red zone and trains are running.

Personally I always feel more comfortable working outside them (possessions) even with the juice rail being live, because the trains run according to a proper signalling system rather than a human being with all the potential to make mistakes (be that 3rd rail isolations, engineering trains, road railers, cranes, etc)

*a train is still a train in my book - it doesn't somehow become any less of a lethal object just because it has entered at T3 regardless of what the rule book might say

Looks like something I've done on train simulator

I've managed something similar by selecting the wrong road in the fiddle yard...  :blackeye: 

Seriously, glad nobody was hurt.  

Thoughts on taking 10 days to clear up and reopen, rather than just dumping any non-repairable wagons down the bank to recover later...?

Archived