Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

So, present owners of this very handsome model, does the mechanism layout look like any of the existing schemes we see in OO models from Bach, Dapol, Heljan, Hornby; or is it yet another variant? Handsome model though it is, this one I have to enjoy vicariously, as it just don't go in my modelling scenario...

I have had independent opinions from a couple of long established retailers, that its circa 80% of their customers with layouts, use set track wholly or in part.

For all that, the OO market is coming up to something of a 'crunch' here. The demand for ever closer to prototype models, combined with the features of the UK's railway locomotives, often make it difficult for designers to produce an accurate model that will work reliably on a set track system of design origin dating to the 1950s, and little development in the UK since. (Triang-Hornby bought in their set track design from Roco in the early 1960s: compare to HO manufacturer's set track ranges to get an idea of just how far behind the curve UK set track lags.)

Yes but 80% of customers probably also have a Mallard, Flying Scotsman and a class 91.

Still waiting for notification of my pre-paid model being sent but will resist the urge to call them.

FWIW - my experience with Bachmann's class 46 (first run Mainline model based with spectrum drive) many years ago was that this heavy loco was no fan of set track either.

Yes but 80% of customers probably also have a Mallard, Flying Scotsman and a class 91...

And those models will likely have some compromises from the selection which the designers use to get them round set track curves. Whether it is undersize components, slightly adjusted positioning of one part relative to another, deviations from the true form of the prototype, the occasional missing flange, etc.. In my opinion there is pressure for fewer compromises, and that bites when the designers respond to this pressure; and the resulting model is marginal on set track radius curvature.

There has been an update from Kernow about the Bulleid Diesel 10201 and 10202 delivery, posted today. They say that on checking the consignment post Warley, they have found it is not the full production run, the balance will be shipped in first quarter 2018. They are distributing on the basis of date of payment, so some who may have pre ordered but not paid yet, may have to wait a few months, depending on how many they have received, compared to pre order numbers.- 'Since then we have been away at Warley and on our return on Monday have checked the entire shipment and found it is not a full shipment, with the balance of models due in the 1st Quarter 2018.  We will be supplying the models in the date they were paid for.  Please remember we are also dealing with Gate Stock, Clay Tigers, and need to fit DCC Sound, so this will take some time to complete'.

They also confirm they have received the weathered PBA/JIA wagons, all versions and have these to distribute as well as the remaining Gate Stock pre orders. 

• RMweb Gold

Given mine a run today...

It’s heavy, it’s powerful and it runs with reasonable speed.

It’s a bit bright on the front (every headcode disc light is lit), but as mentioned earlier you can cover it with closed discs.

Very nice job this one, if it runs in my track it will runs on anyone’s.

I have 1 first radius curve on my layout, and this one goes around it without issue.

It’s up there with Dapols’ Western in diesel quality.

• Like 1

There has been an update from Kernow about the Bulleid Diesel 10201 and 10202 delivery, posted today. They say that on checking the consignment post Warley, they have found it is not the full production run, the balance will be shipped in first quarter 2018. They are distributing on the basis of date of payment, so some who may have pre ordered but not paid yet, may have to wait a few months, depending on how many they have received, compared to pre order numbers.- 'Since then we have been away at Warley and on our return on Monday have checked the entire shipment and found it is not a full shipment, with the balance of models due in the 1st Quarter 2018.  We will be supplying the models in the date they were paid for.  Please remember we are also dealing with Gate Stock, Clay Tigers, and need to fit DCC Sound, so this will take some time to complete'.

They also confirm they have received the weathered PBA/JIA wagons, all versions and have these to distribute as well as the remaining Gate Stock pre orders. 

OH NO :(  :stinker:

• RMweb Gold

Interesting comments in regards track. hopefully I got a dud and will be sorted.

If mine is a dud I wonder when I would get a replacement given the comment above about delivery quantities.

If it's only a back-to-back issue, they should be able to adjust yours and return it to you.

If not, it will depend on whether they've already allocated the remainder to other pre-orders.

They aren't expecting the rest of the batch until "First quarter of 2018", so the worst case scenario is March. Best is within a week. 

Kernow are noted for their customer service, so I have no doubt they will keep you informed.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Mine was 2017-06-16 23:44:14 received by Kernow, will I be in this batch I wonder?

And those models will likely have some compromises from the selection which the designers use to get them round set track curves. Whether it is undersize components, slightly adjusted positioning of one part relative to another, deviations from the true form of the prototype, the occasional missing flange, etc.. In my opinion there is pressure for fewer compromises, and that bites when the designers respond to this pressure; and the resulting model is marginal on set track radius curvature.

Exactly -  the vast bulk of Scotmans, Mallards and class 91s sold to date are the Railroad and the ancestors versions (well the 91 has not yet been called Railroad but it ain't changed much since its intro a few decades back). With plenty of shortcuts and compromises.

I actually have quite a few of these, but do they run these days? nope.

I'll advise how well it copes with flexi track and Peco streamline points (code 100) when I get mine. There is even some set track in the dock area of the layout.

• RMweb Gold

Given mine a run today...

It’s heavy, it’s powerful and it runs with reasonable speed.

It’s a bit bright on the front (every headcode disc light is lit), but as mentioned earlier you can cover it with closed discs.

Very nice job this one, if it runs in my track it will runs on anyone’s.

I have 1 first radius curve on my layout, and this one goes around it without issue.

It’s up there with Dapols’ Western in diesel quality.

.......and then some

There has been an update from Kernow about the Bulleid Diesel 10201 and 10202 delivery, posted today. ......

....... - 'Since then we have been away at Warley and on our return on Monday have checked the entire shipment and found it is not a full shipment, with the balance of models due in the 1st Quarter 2018. ......

Mmmmmm ........ I wonder if that was the reason the manufacturer insisted on payment BEFORE dispatching the (now known to be) incomplete first batch.

I hope they will not now demand extra money for the second delivery.

• RMweb Premium

At Warley I was able to make a spur-of-the-moment purchase of 10202 only. I assume 10201 was sold out on pre-order. (?)

My 10202 runs fine on Code 100 streamline, C&L and Peco Code 75 bullhead track and points down to 21in minimum radius curves.

I have also tried it through Code 100 second radius reverse curves without problems (alternate left hand joined to right hand R2 curvatures). Even some Hornby and Bachmann stuff supposed to cope with R2 curves struggles with this wiggly track test!

Phil.

Mmmmmm ........ I wonder if that was the reason the manufacturer insisted on payment BEFORE dispatching the (now known to be) incomplete first batch.

I hope they will not now demand extra money for the second delivery.

as customer who pre ordered 10201/02 way back, and paid in full in july 2017 i feel this is bad practice especially as kernow have been selling them ahead of fulfilling pre orders,of course mine will arrive tomorrow no doubt.to balance this out keep up the great work kernow just a tad disappointed.

In fairness to Kernow, what seems to have happened is that the locos were delivered just before Warley. Kernow rushed off to the show, taking some, which were sold. It was only afterwards that the delivery was checked and was found to be only part of the full order.

I’m disappointed too but it’s only an understandable cock up, not a conspiracy. An example of how things go wrong when rushed.

• RMweb Gold

In fairness to Kernow, what seems to have happened is that the locos were delivered just before Warley. Kernow rushed off to the show, taking some, which were sold. It was only afterwards that the delivery was checked and was found to be only part of the full order.

I’m disappointed too but it’s only an understandable cock up, not a conspiracy. An example of how things go wrong when rushed.

Indeed, I feel they were damned if the did and damned if they didn't. Imagine the complaints had they not taken some to Warley...

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, I feel they were damned if the did and damned if they didn't. Imagine the complaints had they not taken some to Warley...

Roy

Taking them to Warley relieved some pressure on their hard pressed packaging and posting department,enabling them to hand over the models to prepaid customers like me on the spot.They had not then realised the delivery discrepancy.Pure misfortune.

It seems that I was lucky. I arranged on Monday to pick up my Bulleid diesel, possibly before the short delivery was noticed. I would imagine Kernow are rather less than pleased given that they had apparently been asked to pay before delivery, as had we as a result.

It is a superb model. I had an issue with the "pony" wheels on the bogies derailing on some Peco Code 100 points. One look at the wheelsets and I was sure the back to back was out. As supplied the wheelbacks were about 15mm, or a touch more, apart. Setting them to a bit under 15mm seems to have cured the problem.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

It seems that I was lucky. I arranged on Monday to pick up my Bulleid diesel, possibly before the short delivery was noticed. I would imagine Kernow are rather less than pleased given that they had apparently been asked to pay before delivery, as had we as a result.

It is a superb model. I had an issue with the "pony" wheels on the bogies derailing on some Peco Code 100 points. One look at the wheelsets and I was sure the back to back was out. As supplied the wheelbacks were about 15mm, or a touch more, apart. Setting them to a bit under 15mm seems to have cured the problem.

Colin

Interesting you mention back to back been out. I’ve not sent mine back yet, without the right tools is not worth even attempting to fix the back to back?

Interesting you mention back to back been out. I’ve not sent mine back yet, without the right tools is not worth even attempting to fix the back to back?

I have had to "tweek" the back to back measurement on a number of models over the years. The only tool I used was a small screwdriver to remove the pony truck from the bogie and to re-attach it. Once out I applied a little hand pressure to the wheels whilst slowly twisting them on the axle. Not exactly precise or highly technical, but it has always worked for me. The only fiddly bit was re-assembly - the truck is mounted on a circular pillar, with a spring around it. On top of this goes a washer(with a square centre), and the plastic truck. You really need three hands to hold all these together, but there isn't enough space, so it took a few goes before it all went together as intended. In fact one end went together first time, the other took a little time. I'm not encouraging you to do anything you're not comfortable with, but it's the sort of issue that crops up from time to time and I wouldn't return a model for - provided of course I knew what I was doing and that my fix would solve the problem.

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just an FYI, in the video above your looking at 4th, 3rd and 2nd radius curves in use there, depending on the corner, the the corner under the bridge being a “s” curve in 3rd radius.

As seen, no issues at all, at speed, with 10 on, it has a 3 inch climb over 1.2m at one point (thanks to Hitler in the 1940’s), it also traverses two scissor crossings, both facing and non facings sides of a standard set track curved point, at least 1 4way point, and facing and non facing 3 sides of 3way points.

As I said if it runs on my layout it will run on anyone’s.

Edited by adb968008

as customer who pre ordered 10201/02 way back, and paid in full in july 2017 i feel this is bad practice especially as kernow have been selling them ahead of fulfilling pre orders,of course mine will arrive tomorrow no doubt.to balance this out keep up the great work kernow just a tad disappointed.

I agree. Ordered  three of these b*gg*rs back when first announced. Paid for 13/05/2017.

Mine has been dispatch  :sungum: well done Kernow, just hope it arrives tomorrow now.

Quick question about the real thing, all my papers say all three locos had a speed of 90mph but on a wiki it says 110 mph.

Can anyone confirm this please?