Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

I don't think that's very fair. I suspect the use of BNS by enthusiasts pre-dates the station code BHM. If I had written BHM in my spotters notebook, how would I have distinguished New Street (BHM), Moor Street (BMO) and Snow Hill (BSW)?

^^^Official codes added^^^

Of course as it is your spotting books you are free to put whatever you want as long as you understand them, but when things have to be understood by others it is good form to use the official codes that way there is no confusion.

With the widespread use of apps such as RealTimeTrains etc I would have expected more use of the official codes to make it easier for others to understand.

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic: Consider yourselves lucky that each station (and indeed many junctions and depots used as timing points) has a unique code in the UK. In Australia each operator uses its own set of codes not all of which are the same for an identical location. Some are also duplicated -even triplicated - meaning it is not only neccessary to understand the code but also to know the operator as well.

In other news weekly newsletter is out and as usual includes latest arrivals and bargain offers. I am hoping to meet tge show team on Sunday at Ally Pally but it’s already a very busy weekend so there are no guarantees.

• Like 1

Probably a Close Couple Unit! It makes them feel all superior like.

Just as people try to be clever and use BNS (for Birmingham New Street) when the correct code is BHM.

No I was not feeling superior about it. Just thought it was quite common here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic: Consider yourselves lucky that each station (and indeed many junctions and depots used as timing points) has a unique code in the UK. In Australia each operator uses its own set of codes not all of which are the same for an identical location. Some are also duplicated -even triplicated - meaning it is not only neccessary to understand the code but also to know the operator as well.

In other news weekly newsletter is out and as usual includes latest arrivals and bargain offers. I am hoping to meet tge show team on Sunday at Ally Pally but it’s already a very busy weekend so there are no guarantees.

Hope to see you there Rick.

The use of codes is all well and good if you understand their context but that immediately takes you into then and now.  For example if I use what I regard as 'proper' codes (i.e the ones I worked with every day) on National Train Enquiries most of them don't work or come up with somewhere totally different from the place I'm looking for because whoever devised the codes for that software presumably started from scratch with no knowledge of the past codes which many folk worked to.   Things move and people don't necessarily change the abbreviations they have used for years, especially if they don't make any use of various websites which have reinvented the abbreviation wheel.  I wonder just how many SR abbreviations would work on modern websites such as RTT and I bet it's probably not even as many as the handful of Western ones which do - for example I see that Paddington station (the exGWR main line bit) has turned into a pre-assembly depot, PAD,  instead of any of the past Western abbreviations for the station.  and that apart of course National Rail Enquiries doesn't even put arrival and departure times in the correct columns :jester: 

There is not much they can do about that. The buffer beam on these locos is attached to the bogie, like the Bachmann class 40, 44,45 and 46 and the NEM pocket is fixed on those too. A CCU would mean having the buffer beam on the loco hull like the Mainline class 45 - berrrrkkk!

On point 2, Kernow have done a grand job in designing these bogies to both allow the body to sit at the correct height and yet cope with the unrealistic track extremes (sharper curves than reality, change of incline and decline sharper than reality) of most layouts. I'm amazed at how well mine handles the track despite having correct ride heights (the Bachmann 40 and 45 sit a tad high I feel).

Thank you for this helpful post. It did not deserve the subsequent snide posts which are not quite in the friendly helpful spirit that I have liked about this forum over the years. Come on guys let us play nicely

• Like 1

Thank you for this helpful post. It did not deserve the subsequent snide posts which are not quite in the friendly helpful spirit that I have liked about this forum over the years. Come on guys let us play nicely

Totally agree with you. Shame we don't have a w4nker button for said posts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is there any news on the green ones arriving yet? the website says March/April.

As I'm going abroad for 3 weeks shortly, I did ask when my order for 10203 would likely arrive as I would need Kernow to defer shipment till I got back.  They replied thus -

"The models were originally to have arrived March / April, but were unfortunately not completed by the time the Chinese broke up for their New Year. We are therefore now expecting them in May or possibly a bit later."

• RMweb Premium

Has anybody carried out a conversion to EM? There were a couple of posts a few months back querying the feasibility but I've not seen anything since.

My green 10203 will hopefully arrive in a few months so I thought I'd ask the question.

Douglas

There is not much they can do about that. The buffer beam on these locos is attached to the bogie, like the Bachmann class 40, 44,45 and 46 and the NEM pocket is fixed on those too. A CCU would mean having the buffer beam on the loco hull like the Mainline class 45 - berrrrkkk!

If you get a chance take a look at a modern Piko diesel such as the German BR132.

They have come up with a very neat solution that incorporates a CCU on a long wheel base locomotive.

They even manage to sell the thing at a very good price when viewed against current UK offerings.

Bernard

If you get a chance take a look at a modern Piko diesel such as the German BR132.

They have come up with a very neat solution that incorporates a CCU on a long wheel base locomotive.

They even manage to sell the thing at a very good price when viewed against current UK offerings.

Bernard

Forgive me from saying but when I look at pictures of the Piko BR132, the buffer beam is part of the loco body moulding. On a Bullied diesel (or class 40, 44, 45 and 46), it is an integral part of the bogie moulding. It is nothing to do with the length of the loco but rather where the buffer beam is integrated on the prototype.

Without having big slots in the bogie fronts, it is hard to include a close coupling system in the bogie itself which would be required for a Bullied.

Has anybody carried out a conversion to EM? There were a couple of posts a few months back querying the feasibility but I've not seen anything since.

My green 10203 will hopefully arrive in a few months so I thought I'd ask the question.

Douglas

I have converted my 10201 to EM gauge. The locomotive has Bullied wheels and as far as I am aware no wheels are commercially available for this locomotive, so I had to use the OO wheels supplied with the locomotive. However I couldn’t use the wheels as they were because the flanges are too thick so I had the fairly tedious task of thinning all the wheels with a file, there are of course 16 wheels. I did use the existing axles with the thinned wheels set to the EM back to back setting of 16.5 mm.

The locomotive now runs very well and I have not had any problems with derailments. It can also easily haul 14 coaches which is the very maximum that could be accommodated on the Southern main line from Waterloo to Exeter.

Sandra

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have converted my 10201 to EM gauge. The locomotive has Bullied wheels and as far as I am aware no wheels are commercially available for this locomotive, so I had to use the OO wheels supplied with the locomotive. However I couldn’t use the wheels as they were because the flanges are too thick so I had the fairly tedious task of thinning all the wheels with a file, there are of course 16 wheels. I did use the existing axles with the thinned wheels set to the EM back to back setting of 16.5 mm.

The locomotive now runs very well and I have not had any problems with derailments. It can also easily haul 14 coaches which is the very maximum that could be accommodated on the Southern main line from Waterloo to Exeter.

Sandra

If the loco axles are the same size (2mm), Markits bogie (12mm) and tender wheels (14mm) for Bulleid Pacifics might do the job without thinning.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Forgive me from saying but when I look at pictures of the Piko BR132, the buffer beam is part of the loco body moulding. On a Bullied diesel (or class 40, 44, 45 and 46), it is an integral part of the bogie moulding. It is nothing to do with the length of the loco but rather where the buffer beam is integrated on the prototype.

Without having big slots in the bogie fronts, it is hard to include a close coupling system in the bogie itself which would be required for a Bullied.

Have it your own way. I was only trying to help.

It matters not a jot which part of the locomotive the device is fitted to.

It is indeed a hard job to design a good looking working device.

However they have come up with an idea that could be made to do the job in a variety of applications.

Get hold of a model, as I suggested, rather than look at pictures, give the coupling a wiggle and you will see what I mean.

By the way the man is called Bulleid.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Sandra

Sandra, thanks very much for replying to my query. I'll see what they are like when it finally arrives.

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

If the loco axles are the same size (2mm), Markits bogie (12mm) and tender wheels (14mm) for Bulleid Pacifics might do the job without thinning.

John

John, thanks for the response. I'm sure I read somewhere that the axles are 1.5 mm, which may be awkward. I'll have to give it some thought when it arrives.

Have it your own way. I was only trying to help.

It matters not a jot which part of the locomotive the device is fitted to.

It is indeed a hard job to design a good looking working device.

However they have come up with an idea that could be made to do the job in a variety of applications.

Get hold of a model, as I suggested, rather than look at pictures, give the coupling a wiggle and you will see what I mean.

By the way the man is called Bulleid.

Bernard

Indeed, r*ddy spell checker/corrector!

Nothing wrong with helping, but this model sits at correct ride heights and there is no gap between Bogie and body for anything to pass through (other than a sheet of paper).

Kernow did not even fit the NEM pockets with a small wiggle room on these bogies (unlike the Hattons P or Kernow Well tank). I am saying that overall they decided to keep the NEW coupling hole as small as possible in the bogie front (painted silver and very prominent) so the coupling is rigid and if removed, it requires just a small blanking plate to cover the hole.

Another thing to note, the bogie is actually just fitted with one pair of wheels, those closest to the buffers, which guide the bogie frame as the train goes round - which makes the area tighter still (RTR couplings are always below buffer height - so they have to be attached to the bogie in this case instead of to the loco under frame which we find on other UK outline models such as the Hornby classes 31, 50 and 56 that use close coupling units).

The powered wheels of the Bulleid model sit in a separate chassis that moves and pitches independently to the bogie frame itself. A wonderful bit of engineering that allows the model to cope with almost any track work yet keep the body ride height correct.

The Piko model does look really detailed. But the buffer beam, valance, and all various pipe work is attached rigidly to the loco under-frame just below the cab. On the Bulleid diesel, the buffer beam, valance and all various pipe work is attached and swivels with the massive 8 wheel bogies.

That design was used on BR class 40,44,45,46 and found to crack when those locos were employed on heavy freight trains. 

John

This is a good idea although the wheels as modelled are not exactly the same as the bogie and tender wheels on Bullied steam locomotives. My knowledge of the real locomotives is limited so I don’t know if Kernow have modelled the wheels accurately but in looking at some photographs of the real machines they do seem to be the same as the model.

The leading axle on each bogie is 1.5 mm and the three other axles are 2mm. Bullied steam tender wheels are certainly the right size for the driving wheels but I think it would be best to use the leading wheels as supplied on the model, thinned and set to EM gauge particularly as the leading wheels are secured in a very strange and somewhat unsatisfactory manner.

On balance I think that using the wheels supplied withe model is probably the best (and certainly the cheapest) option and it does work well although a great deal of metal does have to be removed from the back of the wheels to make them work.

Sandra

• Like 1

This is a good idea although the wheels as modelled are not exactly the same as the bogie and tender wheels on Bullied steam locomotives. My knowledge of the real locomotives is limited so I don’t know if Kernow have modelled the wheels accurately but in looking at some photographs of the real machines they do seem to be the same as the model.

At first I thought Kernow were going to have this model recommissioned by Bachmann and use bogie parts of their class 40 - and to be honest, I would have been happy with that. But no, they really went to town to produce a far better product based very closely on the prototype.

I cannot wait to get 10203 to supplement the first loco.

At first I thought Kernow were going to have this model recommissioned by Bachmann and use bogie parts of their class 40 - and to be honest, I would have been happy with that. But no, they really went to town to produce a far better product based very closely on the prototype.

I cannot wait to get 10203 to supplement the first loco.

A few years ago now, I put a "Q Kits" Bullied body on a Lima class 40 chassis. The Bulleid loco is shorter than the 40 but as it is driven by a power bogie, it wasn't difficult to shorten it. As time went by I realised Lima products had two speeds, going and not going! The loco was put away into the fix it tomorrow drawer.

Then along came the Bachmann class 40 and having secured a returned loco I set about converting it. This loco had a central motor driving both ends and a simple "cut and shut" was not going to work here. I cut the chassis at one end of the motor housing and took out a section. Then was a case of grind out the centre of the frame and glue the two ends together. Shorting the drive shaft at that end was the easy part. Incidentally, the wheels had modelling putty pressed into them with holes pressed in.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 2

My Bulleid diesels continue to delight me. A lot of original thinking has gone into them whilst at the same time tried and tested engineering has been incorporated. Many of the features have already been mentioned.

Perhaps I might be allowed a comment or two.

If you haven’t got a Bulleid diesel yet (but are intending to) and you haven’t got a re-railer, try to get a cheap plastic one. You’ll bless the day you got it!

The headcode discs are of a novel design. A ring of plastic is moulded onto the backs and this fits into a circular groove. It allows no unwanted light to escape around the sides of the discs.

The fittings between the bogies are extremely delicate and it is very easy to break them off when removing the body, or even when not removing the body. I’m in the middle of repairing one of mine with square-section plastic rod painted black and I decided to add the same behind all of them as insurance.

The hoop of the coupling supplied butts up against the bogie front. I cut it off, which left me with a fishtailed fitting which filled the hole neatly. Below the bufferbeam, the bogie front is black, so the infill is hardly noticable. If it were red or aluminium, it would require more work to conceal it but it is scarcely noticable in normal lighting. The flash picture below is rather brutal.

I don’t think that a picture has been posted with the attachments added to the front. By the way, the cab light isn’t on; the flash is reflected by the cab bulkhead.

post-26289-0-45560500-1525510445.jpg

• Like 4

Update posted on Facebook yesterday (presumably Cambridge Analytica have a model railway).

I don’t think I have seen the green 10203 linked on here yet, I may have missed it. I had forgotten about the banana coloured roof.

It looks very nice though. Big photo on the website or on their Facebook page - sorry it won't link, and I suspect I'm not usppoed to link it either.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/33039/K2704_Dapol_Bulleid_1CoCo1_Diesel_Locomotive_number_10203

Edited by Jamiel