Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Excepting green 10203 which has not yet arrived.

So I see. I rather overlooked that in my excitement ( ;) ), especially as that's the one I acquired from the first run :) Apologies to those who are now prematurely agog...

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

So I see. I rather overlooked that in my excitement ( ;) ), especially as that's the one I acquired from the first run :) Apologies to those who are now prematurely agog...

Oui....c’est moi....more heightened excitement then.

• Agree 1

Even for a kettles man, that's a fine looking stable you have there Tim!

I am, actually, stupidly excited about the arrival of mine. It was sent yesterday but I won't be back until the week after next.

What crews are you fitting them with?

Edited by truffy
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, truffy said:

Even for a kettles man, that's a fine looking stable you have there Tim!

I am, actually, stupidly excited about the arrival of mine. It was sent yesterday but I won't be back until the week after next.

What crews are you fitting them with?

Thanks. Bachmann probably.

Edited by Tim Hall

10202 has arrived at Newton Broadway, and after a suitable running-in spell on DC on the rollers, has had a Zimo MX638D decoder installed. I noted that on analogue DC, it gave a little lurch each time the controller was turned on, before accelerating smoothly from zero again. This occurred in both directions. With the Zimo decoder installed, it behaves perfectly. I programmed my usual settings into CVs 3 and 4 (values of 25 and 18, respectively).

I like the differences on the roofs between 10201 and 10202, with the exhaust ports and roof hatches exhibiting the main ones.

48255326701_1770b4e866_b.jpg
P_20190711_172027_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, SRman said:

10202 has arrived at Newton Broadway, and after a suitable running-in spell on DC on the rollers, has had a Zimo MX638D decoder installed. I noted that on analogue DC, it gave a little lurch each time the controller was turned on, before accelerating smoothly from zero again. This occurred in both directions. With the Zimo decoder installed, it behaves perfectly. I programmed my usual settings into CVs 3 and 4 (values of 25 and 18, respectively).

I like the differences on the roofs between 10201 and 10202, with the exhaust ports and roof hatches exhibiting the main ones.

48255326701_1770b4e866_b.jpg
P_20190711_172027_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Now that's interesting, that the roofs of your 10201 & 10202 are different. Now I knew that 10203 was different but always thought that 10201 & 10202 were identical to each other. But looking at Kernow's  website, I now see that both 10201 & 10202 are available with the two large exhaust openings (like 10203) where as when the first batch were produced, they had four small circulars exhaust openings. So does this mean that 10201 & 10202 were modified to match 10203? Does anyone know? Surprised if Kernow have modelled them in a later form, that they haven't shouted this from the roof tops as a selling point, rather than just mentioning the additional head boards that you now get. I quite fancy 10201 or 10202 to keep my black 10203 company, but if their roof has accidently been modelled wrong, then 10203 will have to stay single

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, 217 RIVER FLESK said:

Now that's interesting, that the roofs of your 10201 & 10202 are different. Now I knew that 10203 was different but always thought that 10201 & 10202 were identical to each other. But looking at Kernow's  website, I now see that both 10201 & 10202 are available with the two large exhaust openings (like 10203) where as when the first batch were produced, they had four small circulars exhaust openings. So does this mean that 10201 & 10202 were modified to match 10203? Does anyone know? Surprised if Kernow have modelled them in a later form, that they haven't shouted this from the roof tops as a selling point, rather than just mentioning the additional head boards that you now get. I quite fancy 10201 or 10202 to keep my black 10203 company, but if their roof has accidently been modelled wrong, then 10203 will have to stay single

I assumed that's the way they came out originally, so now you have me intrigued.

Anyway, here's a photo of the two roofs side by side: 10201 has the four small ports, 10202 has the strips, and also the roof hatches divided down the middle.

48255913006_106b208c7d_b.jpg
P_20190711_194112_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Incidentally, I know there was a buffer missing from 10201. I have to check the storage drawers to see if it has ended up on the 'floor' somewhere.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

A quick look at Kernow’s website, shows all 3 in Black or Green as “A” post fix catalog numbers, with the strips in this release..

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/111/Bulleid-Diesel

looking at this site..

http://www.semgonline.com/diesel/bull_1coco1_01.html

if you look at 10201 it doesn’t have strips, but next image down is 10202, at Waterloo, and it does have strips and is still black... so suggests it is correct and an alternate variant to the first release.

At the bottom of the page is an older image of 10202, (works picture) and it doesn’t have strips so it too looks correct for the original release.

subtle.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 05/10/2018 at 17:38, jonnyuk said:

took the plunge today and bought a class tts chip. i've fitted it to the Bulleid using a 21>8 pin converter.

the sound works well but i have a few questions

1: i assume i can't use the cab lights as the tts chip has no function for this

2: which speaker is best, the tts speaker or factory fitted from kernow

3:at slow speeds the running is very lumpy when using the tts chip. i have turned of back EMF but apart from that i don't really know what to play around with in terms of cv values.

has anybody put the class 40 tts chip in and got any tips for smooth running?

thanks

I wanted to go down this route, but the 21>8 pin converter I used is too tall. May I ask what c9nverter you have fitted?

On 11/07/2019 at 11:36, 217 RIVER FLESK said:

On 11/07/2019 at 11:50, SRman said:

I assumed that's the way they came out originally, so now you have me intrigued.

I contacted KMRC, and received this reply:

As built, the first 2 locos had 4 round exhaust ports. This is how we depicted the locos in the first batch. 10203 had the 2 lateral ports from new.

However photographic evidence has now come to light that the positions of the 4 round ports varied at regular maintenance intervals. (Bear in mind that these were prototypes and to an extent therefore experimental). And at some point whilst still in Black livery, 10201 and 10202 were fitted with the same exhaust ports as those on 10203. Unfortunately we are unable to date when this modification occurred, but as the locos did not change livery during this time, I very much doubt that there would have been any significant change to the livery of stock they hauled during the period. 

We chose to offer this roof variant with this batch to offer something a bit different, particularly for the collectors who like to have models of each type released.

So, there you have it, 10201 and 10202 were originally released as first introduced, while the re-release deliberately reflects the later modification (unfortunately, IMO).

Edited by truffy
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/08/2019 at 10:51, 7013 said:

10203 is not available in green with late crest and grey roof, is this one expected in the future?

Bear in mind that the late crest / grey roof variant of 10203 should have twin horns in place of whistles.

Perhaps that's why it's not been offered by Kernow?

image.png.0ced60cc79bdbad6fe83d8cab0009f44.png

image.png.77679004f6a9d5291eaa524b2e30e51f.png

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Bear in mind that the late crest / grey roof variant of 10203 should have twin horns in place of whistles.

Perhaps that's why it's not been offered by Kernow?

But also bear in mind that they were able to model two types of roof vents on 10201 and 10202.

Ordered in March and turned up on Friday.  Very good team Kernow.

I don't keep up to speed with this thread but providing a model with six white discs does provide a lot of fun.  I have now changed some of the white discs for half green discs - very stressful.  I wonder how many other modellers have had to reattach lamp irons - not easy.   Some pictures attached.

48654839497_e0d9d95ae7_k.jpg

48654692321_9e6bf83255_k.jpg

48654842522_1c5fb83acd_k.jpg

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

On 31/08/2019 at 22:06, Silver Sidelines said:

Ordered in March and turned up on Friday.  Very good team Kernow.

I don't keep up to speed with this thread but providing a model with six white discs does provide a lot of fun.  I have now changed some of the white discs for half green discs - very stressful.  I wonder how many other modellers have had to reattach lamp irons - not easy.   Some pictures attached.

Cheers Ray

It surprises me that a modeller of your ability finds difficulty in fitting the discs. The fitting method is novel and, in my view, one of the cleverer ideas incorporated in these models. I wish the idea had been used on the hydraulics. The discs are shaped according to whether they are to be fitted to the left, right or centre. I hesitate to suggest it but could this possibly be a cause of the difficulty?