Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

13 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The fitting method is novel and, in my view, one of the cleverer ideas incorporated in these models. I wish the idea had been used on the hydraulics. The discs are shaped according to whether they are to be fitted to the left, right or centre.

Have I missed something, or does the package come with absolutely no instructions on what to fit, where, and how? Other than the impossible-to-read exploded diagram, that is.

19 minutes ago, truffy said:

Have I missed something, or does the package come with absolutely no instructions on what to fit, where, and how? Other than the impossible-to-read exploded diagram, that is.

You sent me in search of the instructions to make sure of my facts. I don’t think you have missed anything in the instructions. The handedness was pointed out in that source of all railway wisdom: RMweb.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It surprises me that a modeller of your ability finds difficulty in fitting the discs. The fitting method is novel and, in my view, one of the cleverer ideas incorporated in these models. I wish the idea had been used on the hydraulics. The discs are shaped according to whether they are to be fitted to the left, right or centre. I hesitate to suggest it but could this possibly be a cause of the difficulty?

I find your response both rude and ignorant and is one of the reasons I have reduced the time I spend on RMweb. There are no instructions in the box.  The problem that I found with fitting the discs is that the white discs were an exceedingly tight fit and could not readily be prised out.  Secondly the green half discs did not readily fit into the vacated holes - probably the same reason as the white discs were such a tight fit.

Cheers Ray

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Silver Sidelines said:

There are no instructions in the box. 

Well - careful study of the exploded diagram conveyed to me what was intended.

A suitable 'mini-crowbar', produced from wire, removed the fitted open discs; I managed to get the half discs to fit without problems - but a small tapered broach would have assisted if there had been resistance.

The correct tool is invariably the answer to modelling difficulties - but so many of our brethren see investment in tools to be a waste of good money, that could be used to buy more RTR models with problematic detailing bits !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The correct tool is invariably the answer to modelling difficulties - but so many of our brethren see investment in tools to be a waste of good money, that could be used to buy more RTR models with problematic detailing bits !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Unnecessarily harsh I feel. And unsupported. 

Feeling a little under the weather JOHN? 

This forum depends on folk asking questions from all sorts of basic skills and knowledge and receiving help in return. I have been helped with innumerable issues on the forum and hopefully provided some assistance too. Please let us try and keep it that way so that folk are encouraged to contribute, rather than denigrated. 

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

I find your response both rude and ignorant and is one of the reasons I have reduced the time I spend on RMweb. There are no instructions in the box.  The problem that I found with fitting the discs is that the white discs were an exceedingly tight fit and could not readily be prised out.  Secondly the green half discs did not readily fit into the vacated holes - probably the same reason as the white discs were such a tight fit.

Cheers Ray

I deeply apologise for the offence I have caused you. I thought carefully about how to phrase what I posted but I very clearly failed miserably. I have watched your videos with great appreciation and found your contributions to be both useful and worth careful attention. There was absolutely no sarcasm intended. I was genuinely surprised that such an accomplished modeller should have difficulty when a clumsy individual such as myself found the system so much better than what has been offered before. I can only guess that batches differed in the ease with which they could be fitted.

I hope you can accept my apology and that neither rudeness nor ignorance (save of the characteristics of the discs you obviously have) was intended.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, barrymx5 said:

Unnecessarily harsh I feel. And unsupported. 

Feeling a little under the weather JOHN? 

This forum depends on folk asking questions from all sorts of basic skills and knowledge and receiving help in return. I have been helped with innumerable issues on the forum and hopefully provided some assistance too. Please let us try and keep it that way so that folk are encouraged to contribute, rather than denigrated. 

The weather here in SW Portugal is superb, thank you.

I too have helped members on numerous occasions - and my Cambridge Custom Transfers offering is all about offering transfers produced for my own use to other modellers.

It IS helpful to suggest that investment in the essential tools will make modelling infinitely more enjoyable and less frustrating.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have said this before, but personally it would be better if Kernow supplied the discs fitted on the loco all in closed position. You then have - on average - only 2 to swap out on just one end and many would probably just treat one end.

With the discs supplied in open position, you have on average 4 to swap out on each end, with maybe 6 on one of them (Personally I set each end to different destination head code).

A small comment on what is otherwise a very well designed and delivered model.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I have said this before, but personally it would be better if Kernow supplied the discs fitted on the loco all in closed position. You then have - on average - only 2 to swap out on just one end and many would probably just treat one end.

With the discs supplied in open position, you have on average 4 to swap out on each end, with maybe 6 on one of them (Personally I set each end to different destination head code).

A small comment on what is otherwise a very well designed and delivered model.

I suppose it is a matter of what you want.

The official BR photo shows all discs on display as per the model. Collectors might well want to replicate that.

A large parentage of models are bought by collectors. Many of these people tend to be in favour of keeping their models in absolutely as bought pristine condition.

I do wonder just how many people who by one of these machines will run it in an appropriate setting and consider the correct discs to be an important factor.

If a modeller does buy one then why not expect to have to do a little modelling?

Thank you to those who have pointed out the handing and the need for an extractor tool. I will tackle mine at the weekend. Express passenger on the WCML at one end and local from Bletchley at the other.

Bernard

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I suppose it is a matter of what you want.

The official BR photo shows all discs on display as per the model. Collectors might well want to replicate that.

A large parentage of models are bought by collectors. Many of these people tend to be in favour of keeping their models in absolutely as bought pristine condition.

I do wonder just how many people who by one of these machines will run it in an appropriate setting and consider the correct discs to be an important factor.

If a modeller does buy one then why not expect to have to do a little modelling?

Thank you to those who have pointed out the handing and the need for an extractor tool. I will tackle mine at the weekend. Express passenger on the WCML at one end and local from Bletchley at the other.

Bernard

There are also official BR photos with the discs all closed too: http://www.bulleidlocos.org.uk/(S(hza3xdclkrznaqnyzzsrk0vz))/_oth/10201.aspx

I have 2 of these models, one converted to sound (made easy by Kernow having the loco pre-fitted with a speaker - a plus point), on this one I set up 2 different sets of head codes, one on Golden arrow work, the other going down the south west. But basically it was a lot of faffing swapping over 8 open discs to 8 closed ones. If they were closed, it would be just 4 (or even 2 as I only use the loco on Golden Arrow work). This is just a small recommendation on what is a brilliant model.

I'm not opposed to a bit of modelling but my time is limited (work, kids, garden, kids, DIY, Kids etc... - if only my kids shared my passion!) so the second loco still remains with the all discs open "Royal Train" set up. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As well as finding the discs on my model to be a tight fit I also had a self inflicted issue.  When I cut the first set of discs off their sprue I also removed the little closing tab that hangs down.  Greg at Kernow was sympathetic.  Green spares were not available but he could send me a set of black painted discs.  Gregg thought that when repainting them, getting a matt finish would be more important than exactly matching the shade of green.

Some pictures showing the results. 

The first shows the model fitted with the original discs supplied by Kernow - you can see where I have cut off the tiny tab at the bottom of the disc when I removed the discs from the sprue:

48654692321_76fa03f885_5k.jpg

The second shows the replacement discs coloured GWR dull green (Phoenix Paints).

48964211691_e3ca94d1a1_5k.jpg

The third image shows the discs coated Phoenix dull green and with a matt varnish finish.

48964389667_789e25b773_5k.jpg

It has to be said that when I showed the pictures  to my wife she said that she couldn't see any real difference between the dull and matt finishes.

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 22:49, Silver Sidelines said:

As well as finding the discs on my model to be a tight fit I also had a self inflicted issue.  When I cut the first set of discs off their sprue I also removed the little closing tab that hangs down.  Greg at Kernow was sympathetic. 

Thanks for the heads-up, Ray!

I also removed the closing tab, but in my defence there are no instructions in the box as to how to fit the detailing parts. I also found that two of the lamp irons were lose and fell out of the body, while third was missing completely.

Greg is sending me a replacement sprue and spare lamp iron! :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I'm quite surprised that Kernow haven't done some more of these fine locos considering how well they sold out last time. We've more D6xx's on the way which is most welcomed.  I would love to get my mitts on 10203 in it's final guise with a SYP which I don't think Kernow did. Interesting fact that in the last 18 months by far the most models I have bought or ordered have been from start up or shop based manufacturers with the exception of Dapol. Not bought a single new Hornby or Bachmann loco in that time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

I would love to get my mitts on 10203 in it's final guise with a SYP which I don't think Kernow did.

I added a small yellow panel, and replaced the whistles with twin horns on my 10203.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

I'm quite surprised that Kernow haven't done some more of these fine locos considering how well they sold out last time. We've more D6xx's on the way which is most welcomed.  I would love to get my mitts on 10203 in it's final guise with a SYP which I don't think Kernow did. Interesting fact that in the last 18 months by far the most models I have bought or ordered have been from start up or shop based manufacturers with the exception of Dapol. Not bought a single new Hornby or Bachmann loco in that time.

Fine locos indeed. Quite a bit of original thinking went into the bogies and it works very well (not always the case with original thinking). In my view, the mechanism is much superior to that of the Warships. Without wishing to re-ignite the debate, part of the reason for that is that the Warships have coreless motors, for historical rather than practical reasons. However, I think the green of the Warships is better than the green of the Bulleids. Kernow did hint that more Bulleids might be produced but, as yet, no sign. If Kernow does produce more, I hope the fittings between the bogies would be beefed up; they are very fragile and they are in the area where the model gets picked up.

I’m not in the market for more: I have three.

1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Kernow do have the tooling options to produce 10201 and 10202 with connecting door extensions, as fitted for their last use on the west coast mainline for double heading, so that is the most likely next run of models.

I would probably buy 10202 with connecting doors - but I couldn't wait, so I added my own doors to 10201.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

I'm quite surprised that Kernow haven't done some more of these fine locos

One thing at a time.  A number of Kernow commissions have been reissued recently by themselves and others via EFE Rail.  If you keep fingers crossed and keep watching who knows ..... 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Excellent representation of the '1-CO' cosmetic bogie frames compared with the pathetic Bachmann, Hornby and other offerings so I reckon I would certainly chance one for conversion to 18.83mm. gauge. I do have a good stock of 'Ultrascale' 3' 7" and AGW 3' 6" disc wheels plus some second hand ones that are not too tight to the axle that I can play with by adding 'holes in the disc'....ish! Unfortunately I missed the release of the 'BR green livered' models so having never seen the model in the 'flesh', so as to speak, I may have missed my opportunity to have crack at one of these models! PS, I did see the actual locomotives at Euston circa '58-60', 10-12 years old then when on my way to Richmond visiting family.

On 22/12/2020 at 05:54, SteveyDee68 said:

I live in hope of another production run, even though I only want the one example - 10203, in green!!

Fingers crossed for 2021!

Indeed, I am still holding out for 10203 in green, with half height yellow panels...

10203 dumped at Derby Litchurch Lane Works

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

Indeed, I am still holding out for 10203 in green, with half height yellow panels...

10203 dumped at Derby Litchurch Lane Works

You mean like this?

image.png.09cef4bc7994f0269011e8131fb8c9bf.png

Remove the whistles; replace with twin horns; a little white and yellow paint; and - job done!

John Isherwood.

• Like 4